Status: in-progress

Reins of Power

Prologue: Labyrinth

Concealed under the great stone structures of Durahl. Deep beneath the hard surface of the planet. Hidden from the avions of the sky, sheltered from the beast of the lands, and monsters of the sea lay in darkness the first true city of Arkonis. With name lost in time it was now simply known as the Labyrinth for those who knew of it.

Like an ancient tree its halls branched out connecting an inter-tangled web of corridors. Its roots extend deeper and forever more into forgotten rooms. Its passage ways long since touched by torch light, and long since voyaged by man.

But it was here under the "House of Scrolls", veiled by "the Labyrinths" many found chambers that held mans most recent prize. It was here in that very chamber on a short stone pedestal that sat the genesis of mans salvation, and the exodus of old gods. And how magnificent it was.

Not long ago it was agreed upon by "High Minds" that it was just another useless artifact of "Old Suns". Another decorative ornament of a type; used to decorate bodies of water, and or make a simple play of light. The analysis wasn't entirely incorrect.

The one foot wide glass sphere danced with an alluring brilliance. Its light threw hues of blues, greens, and yellows splashing them against the cracked walls in an amazing display of color.

It seemed alive.

Almost beckoning to be touched.

Pleading...

A strong hand gripped Salins wrist. "Its not wise to touch, boy!"

Salins, head dropped in silent apology.

Kahn Kain, released his hold "Are you truly this weak?" He said in calm annoyance. "Control."

Nodding in understanding the young man rubbed his wrist and asked "What is it...exactly...my, lord"

Thinking, Kain eyed the artifact. "A tool deprived form us long ago." His voice was so low that he could have been talking to himself. Then he added as if in second though "A gift from friends long passed. A chance?"

And that was about the extent of information that he could share with his young pupil on the "Harvester"- to which subjects began to call the mysterious artifact. It was first given the name when researchers witnessed as it drained the life from a group of hang vines that dared to get too close. It was also later discovered to have the same fatal reaction to the presence of small mammals. No-one would notice a few stray dogs missing from the busy streets of Durahl, nor would anyone take in account for the few chickens they had just fed it hours ago.

I mean...that' what it was doing right? Feeding?

It was duly noted that the artifact with every feeding seemed to glow brighter, its spinning vortex contained by its gold and brass cage becoming more stabilized and concentrated. Did that mean it could die out? Kain, thought. Did it require a constant life supply to retain its power? If so could that power be properly channeled?

With each feeding "the Harvester" grew stronger, its range of feeding extending, and its time frame to consume shortening. Many researchers have reported feeling weak when stationed around it for prolonged periods. If research is to continue, safety measures will need to be implemented

There were so many questions and too few answers. Even the answers they managed to stumble upon only brought upon a new multitude of questions. But it begged to question; If this artifact so powerful lay upon the skin of the labyrinth, what secrets were kept in the belly.

Kain mumbled something incoherent, but Salin acted as if he hadn't noticed. He knew the lack of knowledge on the device was taking its toll. The man was to not one to waste time; especially where there was none to spare. Patience was just not a virtue his master deemed valuable to learn, but this obsession may teach him yet.

The "Gods" would always speak in riddles. She was never willing to lead by hand, but rather point in the direction to be assumed taken. ~sometimes she wouldn't even do that~ Kain thought.

In there brief moments of solitude she would whisper those riddles to him. She would say "Sometimes its best to pave your own path than to trek roads already journeyed."

Maybe the frail minds of humans just couldn't comprehend that of beings so old.

Kain quickly abolished the thought with a quick shake of his head. That was no excuse for short comings- even that of his own. He did not despise the God set over him and Durahl. He could even go as far and say that he enjoyed her company, and being. She had taught him many things the first being "Gods Tongue" so they could adequately communicate. But all Gods were not the same. Every land was not as lucky as Durahl, every man was not in the standings of Khan Kain.

But for how long? The question kept probing the edges of his mind. How long must we be slaves How long must we bare this burden...this shame? Man has been subject to the roles of lesser beings long enough. I see how they look at me. They think I'm against them. I see those that find comfort. They are weak and spineless. No more!

Kahn Kain knew the solutions he sought lie beneath his feet. The keys to their shackles hidden in darkness and obscured by the mist of time. Kain knew that in salvation was the labyrinth, and in the labyrinth held salvation. And for that salvation he would dig. No toll was to high. He would spend a eternity searching for that salvation without margin. whats a few more decades to the time already spent for the prize I seek

"A chance for what exactly" Salin asked bringing his master back from the recesses of his own mind.

He had almost forgotten the presence of the boy and had to think back to what the question pertained. IN realization Kain looked sternly at his aid. The Inquisitive nature of the youth is what originally attracted the lord, quickly allowing them to form a relationship of pupil and master. But in time that too changed evolving on the lines of father and son. long ago when Kain first noticed the chamber boy he thought him a dolt, always asking questions especially when some of the answer's were blatant. But Kain soon realized that the boy rarely asked questions to find answers in of themselves, but used questions to probe the depths of his masters mind.

Maybe he just wanted to see where his master stood intellectually? Testing him? Prodding. It made him uneasy to know that his student was so calculating and, sought to entertain his own council of ideas of things he considered, problems.

But in a strange way it made him proud.

Kain looked down at his pupil where he waited, a look of concern covering his face. Kain gripped his shoulder. "You'll make a great god one day"

Salin Arta smiled warmly.
♠ ♠ ♠
All constructive Criticism is appreciated as all ways. Thanks.