Radio Silence

Part 9: This Isn’t the End of It.

Riley was staring blankly ahead at the white wall in front of her. It had been a week since she met Alex’s parents and that he told her he loved her. To Riley, that should have meant that their relationship was going to get even stronger. But the complete opposite happened. She hadn’t heard a word from him ever since and she didn’t understand why. Well, she knew that Casper had something to do with them having to come home so early, so it wouldn’t have been a weird idea that this was his doing as well. But still. Was her brother really going to do something to make sure her heart was going to be broken? There was still a fair chance that it was Alex’s decision and that she had no power over it.

She had wanted to tell Alex that she loved him back, and expected to be able to say it the next time they saw each other. On the day itself, she thought that Alex maybe had freaked out a little about telling her, panicked and drove away instead. She thought that they would make up the next day and express their feelings in a loving way. But, no. Alex wasn’t even outside when she did her morning walk with Iggy. She even started to think that maybe he had gone on tour, but that she completely missed when he tried telling her. But it didn’t make sense with how things had ended. He wouldn’t have driven away so quickly

Riley wanted answers.

So, up she got--Iggy fast asleep in her dog bed in Riley’s room--and went to the living room where she knew her brother was. She wasn’t really sure why she was going to him to ask, and she had no idea what to expect, but she still did. Anybody can already tell that that isn’t the best idea. Casper hated Alex, he would do anything to break the couple up (and so far it seemed like he was doing really well). He wouldn’t hesitate to lie, make Alex seem like a bad person, and make Riley resent him as well. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

But Riley didn’t realize that at all. Of course, she knew her brother didn’t like Alex, but she thought he’d at least be honest about something like this. If anything, he would take credit for it.

Riley stood in front of Casper who was sat on the couch in front of the TV reading a book. She stared him down and didn’t move an inch until he looked up at her. He could already tell it wasn’t going to be a simple question just through her posture, and put his bookmark between the pages he was on before putting the book beside him.

‘Have you heard anything from Alex?’ Riley decided to ask first to introduce the subject. She didn’t want to risk him blowing up before she got anything out of him.

“That guy doesn’t matter.” Casper rolled his eyes and shook his head at his sister. “If he hasn’t said anything to you, he probably doesn’t want to be around anymore. It only proves that he’s no good.”

‘I met his parents, why would he want to stop being around me right after that?’ She stood her ground, telling herself to be skeptical about all the bad things he was telling her.

“Maybe his parents don’t like you and don’t want him seeing you. Maybe he actually listens to them about stuff like this.”

‘His parents actually liked me. I know it has something to do with you. He was acting weird after you called.’

“I just didn’t like him taking you away without consulting me. What am I supposed to think when I come home and see all the lights off and no sign of you? You didn’t leave a note or any sign of where you were going. For all I knew, you were in a serious accident. You can’t just do that to me.” Casper started raising his voice a little, his anger boiling up inside. This was a very serious matter to him. He had no idea what he would have done if something had actually happened to his sister. When he had called and texted Riley and never got a reply, it definitely made his heart beat faster. For some weird reason is was a little comforting to know she was alive and with Alex.

‘Well, if you didn’t hate Alex so much I wouldn’t have to do so. You do anything to stop me from going out with him. If you would let me be, I wouldn’t have to be going around your back.’ Riley also wasn’t as calm anymore, her signing becoming more hectic by the second. This wasn’t just about her brother ruining her relationship, but just about everything he had been doing before that moment in time as well.

Casper stood up, now taller than Riley and being at an advantage. “Stop being so stupid, I’m just trying to protect you. That guy is no good. He is the worst guy you could ever date.”

She took a few steps back, but wouldn’t let down her guard. ‘Just because your girlfriend left you with a note saying she was pregnant with another man’s baby does not mean Alex will cheat on me.’

“This has nothing to do with that. Guys in bands are just no good, alright? They can’t do anything besides cheat and play around with hearts.”

‘This is about you not getting what he wanted, and now you’re bringing it all out on me. It’s not my fault that you couldn’t stand up for yourself. At least I am.’

To Casper, everything he was doing was the right thing. He was just trying to protect his sister from all the mistakes he had made, and she just seemed reckless for not wanting to listen. “Oh, no. I did stand up for myself, I just realized on time that mom and dad were right. Dropping out of college to start a band was something that would have never worked out. I wasn’t that type of guy. I still am not. They were also right about the girl I started dating behind their backs. She wasn’t any good either. Even the girls in bands can’t keep it in their pants. I will not let you get mixed up in any of that.”

Riley knew about the story that he originally wanted to drop out of university because his band was about get signed. Casper had started it with a couple of friends in freshman year of college, and their parents didn’t mind it until he got serious. They had managed to convince him that being in a band would lead to nothing, that it would all be a total flop. He believed them and followed their dream of him becoming a successful businessman. What Riley didn’t know, however, was that the cheating girlfriend had also been in a band. She knew about her existence, and so did their parents, but they never got to meet her. Casper was so distraught when he came home from work one day to see she had packed all her stuff and left without saying goodbye. Apparently, other men were more interesting and she had gotten married to the father of her baby in just a matter of months.

‘Your life might be all fucked up, but that doesn’t mean mine will be too.’ Riley still ‘snapped’ back despite the new information she had gotten. ‘Maybe there’s a reason why it’s all happened to you.’

The next moments happened so fast. Casper’s hand wrapped around the empty mug on the coffee table. In no time, it was hurled through the air into Riley’s direction. As it twisted in the air, she managed to dodge it by just a few inches, the ceramic shattering into pieces against the wall behind her. Her heart was beating rapidly as she stared at her brother with wide eyes. Before the rage on his face softened, Riley was already running.

She rushed out of the front door and down the road, not caring that she wasn’t dressed for the chilly weather or that she hadn’t brought Iggy with her. All she was thinking about was that she had to get away. Staying with her brother for any longer would only do harm. The one guy she had loved all her life had turned against her and it had gone way too far.

The only place Riley could think to go to was Alex’s house. It wasn’t too far away and it was the only place she knew she would be safe at. She just really hoped that he would be at home and wouldn’t ignore her. Being found trying to get into Alex’s house by her brother was worse than being hit by a mug.

She ran up the small pathway and nearly hit the door due to her momentum as she rang the doorbell multiple times after each other. The adrenaline was rushing through her body, meaning she couldn’t stand still and her eyes moved around rapidly. Her body was in flight mode, making her more concerned about running away than that she was probably going to see Alex again.

However, it wasn’t Alex that opened the door. Instead, Jack was stood in front of her, holding the wooden door in one hand and looking at the girl with concern, yet also surprise. He knew the entire story about what had happened, and wasn’t sure what to do now that Riley was actually there. Alex had given clear instructions that they had to stay away for their sake, as much as it hurt Alex’s heart to have to do so. He wanted nothing more than to be with Riley, but first he needed to figure out a plan to get her away.

“Riley, what are you doing here?” Jack asked, not showing any signs of wanting to let her in anytime soon.

But before Riley could process what she had vaguely tried to lipread, there was another voice screaming out her name. Of course, she didn’t hear, but Jack turned to it immediately, alerting her about is as well. No, it wasn’t Alex inside the house. It was outside the house and a completely different voice. Just having come around the street corner, Casper was sprinting, his eyes focused on the girl with the long blonde hair.

Riley didn’t have to think before she ran down the path again and continued down the street. This time, tears started running down her eyes, the fear finally catching up with her. Her lungs were burning, the taste of iron prevalent in her mouth. As much as her body wanted to give up, she couldn’t allow it to.

But her speed kept slowing down with every pace, her legs not wanting to support her weight in a state like this. It gave her brother more than enough time to creep up on her. He was behind her in no time, Riley not noticing since she couldn’t hear his loud footsteps. This was why she needed Iggy, to know about the surroundings she couldn’t see. Things could get really dangerous without the yellow labrador.

Fortunately, it didn’t this time. Casper didn’t hurt Riley. He hugged her to his chest instead, his own tears streaming down his cheeks, as they were stood in the neighborhood park. Riley jumped at first, not expecting the contact, but stayed still when she felt her brother’s shaking body. It didn’t mean that she was going to hug him back, though.

“Please, don’t leave,” Casper cried and sloppily signed while trying to dry his still flowing tears. “Please don’t.”

Riley wasn’t sure what to do. On one hand, it hurt her to see her brother like this, but on the other, he did try to physically hurt her. She was stuck between consoling him and walking away. But something told her that walking away would make things so much worse. His cries weren’t just sad attempts, they seemed like they came from deep within, pouring out his hurt.

“Please don’t leave me.” Casper continued to beg. “I can’t have another person leave me for some dude.”

Riley didn’t have time to feel bad for him. ‘Wait. This is all because you’re afraid I will leave you for Alex?’

When all Casper did was run a hand through his hair, Riley breathed out a little louder than normal, resembling something like a sigh. ‘I’m your sister, I won’t leave you unless you disrespect me and try to hurt me. Just because I’m dating a guy, doesn’t mean I’m going to abandon my family.’

“But eventually you’ll move in with him and start your own life, you won’t have time for us anymore, you won’t have time for me anymore.”

‘That’s not true. I won’t ever leave.’ Riley shook her head and wrapped her arms around her brother’s torso and buried her head against his shoulder, being the one to close the space between them this time.

Casper always had separation anxiety, especially as a child. Over time, it had gotten so much better and it wasn’t noticeable anymore, but then his ex-girlfriend came along. At first, it was all good, he put all his trust in her and let her go on with her own life as well. However, she abused it and ruined everything he had built up. Now, he was constantly afraid that he was going to be left again and hurt in the same way. He wasn’t as much dependent on other people as he had been as a child, but he was too afraid of letting someone go and do their own thing.

Alex just happened to be the perfect target with his whole warped version of people in bands.

‘I just have one question.’ Riley signed as she ended the hug. ‘Is this the reason why you also made me break up with Charles?’

Casper shook his head, this was before the girlfriend thing went down. His hatred towards Charles, his old college best friend, stemmed from something completely different. “No, I witnessed that guy rape girls at parties, that’s completely different. I wasn’t going to wait for him to do it to you too.”

Riley stared at him with shock. She never knew that part about her ex-boyfriend. All it ever was to her, was Casper and her parents helping her see that the relationship wasn’t as good as it used to be. It wasn’t them trying to get her to break up for their good, but honestly for hers. What used to be love, had turned into ignoring and distant emotions. It was only good for Riley to end it because the love was gone. She just never knew she had been dating a rapist. The only indication she had towards it was that Casper had won a court case.

‘Thank you.’ Riley signed, her anger towards her brother nearly subsiding completely.

“I just do it because I love you.” Casper resumed their hug until they felt something at their feet.

Riley looked down to see two familiar dogs sniffing at her feet. She hadn’t seen them in as long as she hadn’t seen Alex, and although it had only been a week, she was happy to see them. It didn’t even hit her that if they were there, Alex had to be somewhere as well. Well, that was until she saw him standing at the entrance of the park in flannel pants, a white t-shirt, and a coat, his hair messy and not done. Riley couldn’t keep her gaze off him, and Alex was having just as much trouble not looking in her direction.

Casper saw what was going on, gave his sister a reassuring nod, and walked away to give the two some time alone. He still had to clean up the shards anyway before anybody got hurt. He just hoped that Iggy hadn’t already.

As you can see, things turned out a little better. For now, we end with a semi-happy ending, but I must warn you:

This isn’t the end of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
More drama!!!!!!

Right now, I have planned:
- Meeting Riley's parents
- Meeting the rest of Alex's friends

Anything you'd like before or after that is welcome.

I'd give you a list of things to suggest again, but I've sort of ended this 'section'. It's like I have multiple chapters surrounding the same theme. First was the meeting, then was the sign language, this was the brother, next will be the parents. Of course, it still links and merges with each other, but it's what I've realized is going on.