Status: Finished Chapter 4. Starting Chapter 5. Updated 13 May

Catch a Thief

The Right Tools

Marcus opened the door and entered the Broken Catapult Inn. Crowded as usual. He weaved his way through patrons and baristas. Shouts and laughter interrupted his thoughts. What drink might inspired him with a plan? He sat at the bar and placed his head in his hands.

“Hey Buddy.”

Marcus looked up and pressed his hands against his face. The bartender fit in between his fingers like the Halfling he wanted behind bars.

“This is not a room. You either drink or go upstairs and sleep.”

He sat up straight and nodded. He pulled out a bag of coins from behind his armor, opened it and placed single disc of Jobane platinum on the bar. “I’ll have the bottle Solemen’s Ale.”

The bartender smiled. “My kind of customer.” He reached behind his tunic and pulled out set of keys. Turned his back toward Marcus and unlocked a wall cabinet. He shuffled some bottles and took out Soleman’s Ale. He grabbed a cup and served him.

He finished the cup and grabbed the bottle. If he didn’t figure out a way to apprehend her, then it was all over. Back to the streets or worse the farms. He lifted the bottle to his mouth and took in gulps.

He jolted forward like someone had snap kicked him on the back. Ale hit his wind pipe like lungs taking in water. He knew those two things never mixed. Ale shot out like dragon’s fire from his mouth and nostrils.

“Finch. What the hell are you doing here?”

He cocked his head toward the man and coughed. “Alex. You bastard.”

Alex took the bar stool next to him. “Nice, Solemen’s Ale. What’s the occasion? You just get laid?”

If only that were the circumstances, he would be relaxed. “No I just came here to think.”

Alex waved his arm toward the crowd. “How can you think with all the hot coochie walking around here?”

“I’m thinking how in the world I am going to catch the Halfling.”

“You’re into Halflings now?” Alex put his hand over his mouth, “I hear they are really tight being small. Where is she? I’ll be your wingman.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“What then?”

“It’s Lord Chumley. I need this promotion. It’s the only way I can prove myself. I must apprehend her.”

“What’s stopping you?”

“Nothing is stopping me. I just can’t seem to be able to catch her. I have failed three times already.”

“Ah. I see”

He needed advice. “What would you do?”

“Set a trap.”

“Like a mouse trap?”

“Yeah, like a mouse trap.”

“C’mon this is serious. How would I even get her to fall into a trap?” What was he supposed to do ask her? Seemed like nonsense.

“She won’t go in the trap unless you bait it.”

“With what? Cheese.”

Alex laughed. “Something like cheese.” Alex narrowed his eyes and leaned closer, “Something that is important to her. Something that she is not willing to lose like an opportunity.”

“How I am going to find that out?”

“The same way we found out mice like cheese. Observation.” Alex smiled, “And let me tell’ya, there ain;t nothing better than observing women. Other than thrusting between their legs, of course.”

He smiled. “You going to help me?”

“As long as it doesn’t take too much of my time.”

He had no idea how much time observations would require. He pulled out his bag of coins and offered a disc of Jobane platinum. “I’ll make it worth your time.”

“Alright, let’s get started.”