Broken Connection

What Are You Up To?

Tony: Heyyy Maya, the guys and I wondered if you want to hang out with us tomorrow?
Maya: Sorry mi amigo, I’m busy tomorrow :(

Maya’s POV
“LET’S PLAY A GAME OF RUSSIAN ROULETTES. I’LL LOAD THE GUN, YOU PLACE THE BETS.” My phone suddenly screamed out. I shot up straight in bed and screamed out.
One bit of advice: don’t put alligator blood from Bring Me The Horizon as alarm.
I put my hand on my chest and felt my heart beat rapidly. I took a few deep breaths as the song kept playing and after a while I calmed down.
I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and walked out with ease. That’s the only good thing about having such a loud song as alarm: I was wide awake now.
I lightly headbanged my head as I walked over to my closet to pick out my clothes for today. I opened the doors of my closet and looked over my shelves. My eye eventually fell on the black crop top I had bought a few days ago, I hadn’t worn it yet, but it was super cute.
I pulled it out between my other clothes and looked at it. This would look so cool with high-waisted shorts and it would kind of show off that new tattoo I had on my ribcage…
Well fuck it, let’s try it on! It’s a special occasion anyway and I needed to look great. Today, I was finally meeting one of my best friends. It might sound kind of weird, but I had been friends with this girl on the internet for seven years now and she was finally coming to San Diego today! She was even going to live here.
I put on my high-waist shorts and my crop top. I turned around in front of the mirror in the corner of my bedroom and inspected myself. At first, I thought I didn’t look that bad. And then I started to pay attention to the details and it looked less good than I first thought.
I traced my fingers over the stroke of bare skin between my top and my shorts. I didn’t show much stomach, but my top was really tight and I couldn’t keep but feel like my stomach was pulling out over my shorts. I looked sideways and it looked even worse. I held in my stomach, but that didn’t help either.
Ugh, okay no crop top. I was planning on going for a run a few times this week anyway. After that I will probably be more ready to wear things like that. I threw my crop top in the closet and pulled out my over-sized Metallica shirt. I still decided on the shorts, though. Even though I thought my legs weren’t really ready for shorts either, it looked great with my shirt.
I laid my outfit on my bed and went for a quick shower. I made sure to this time wash my hair. It was all greasy, because the last few days I had been too lazy to wash it.
“I hate to break it to you, but you’re just a lonely star.” I was still singing when I got out of the shower with a towel wrapped around my hair. I was pretty much always singing actually. I always annoyed my brother with it, he would always tell me to shut up and I would respond by singing even louder.
I threw on my clothes and didn’t bother looking in the mirror again. I knew it would only make me doubt more about my choice of clothing. I wrapped my long, blonde hair in a high ponytail even though it was still a bit wet. It would dry on the way there I guess.
I looked at the clock and realised I had to hurry. Ugh, I hated hurrying when it came to my make-up. If I had the time for it, I could actually make myself look good. I was not that shabby at make-up, if I say so myself.
I put on some quick foundation, drew a line above my eyes and put on some mascara. I put on some knee socks and blue Dr. Martens and I was ready to go.
I rushed downstairs and realised, when I was at the bottom of the stairs, that I had forgotten something. I grinned widely and ran the stairs back up.
I rushed to my room and took out the Ryan Reynolds mask I had found in some weird tourist shop or something. Me and Naira, my best friend, had met through a tweet of Ryan Reynolds. We had been eighteen and sixteen and to be honest, we were your typical fan girls.
Now that I had grown up, I kind of looked back at that time in my life in which I had creepy little crushes on adult Hollywood actors. I cringed whenever I thought about it.
But it was how I had met Naira and I thought it would be funny if I showed up at the airport wearing this mask. We wouldn’t have to worry about her not recognizing me either.
I took the mask and rushed downstairs again. When I was making my way over to my car I felt my phone vibrate in the pocket of my shorts. I opened my car, laid the mask on the passenger's seat and sat down.
I took out my phone and looked at it. My heart skipped a beat when I read the message on my lockscreen.

Jaime: Hey, Tony said you couldn’t hang out today. What are you up to?

I was tempted to open the message and write him back, but that would mean I had to doubt my words again for minutes before I was finally sure on what to write him. So, I left it unlocked and threw it in the drawer from my dashboard.
Okay, mind off the message. I was going to meet Naira in a few minutes! I hoped she had a safe flight. I hope we would get along. I mean we had known each other for years, but seeing someone through webcam images was just different.
I started the car and immediately accelerated to the point I almost hit an old lady on my way to the airport, so I slowed down again.
The sun was shining through my front window and lighted up the familiar busy streets of San Diego. It was beautiful weather for a special day.