Status: Ongoing

Home Is the Stars

Seven

Later that evening, Dr. Landra returned to the stranger with a light tray of food. She suspected he would be hungry and ready to try eating something real for a change. She brought him a few soft foods to try, including mashed potatoes and apple sauce.

He prodded at the tray of food suspiciously with a spoon, examining and smelling it before he tried anything. He practically scarfed the apple sauce down. But when he got to the potatoes, he grimaced, only taking a few bites before setting the tray aside.

"The potatoes were genetically engineered in our terrarium, modified for growth without natural sunlight and to provide more nutrients to help sustain us in space. They don't taste as good as the ones we grow at home, but they keep us going. I can bring you something else, though... if you'd like."

"No, thank you. What time is it?" The man looked tired.

"It's almost 2030. Would you like me to go so you can get some rest?"

"No, Doc. Your company isn't all bad," he huffed out a chuckle at this. Landra found herself smiling and shaking her head at him. "Hey, Doc? Can I ask you a question?" She peered at him curiously, wondering what could be on his mind.

"Only if I can ask you a question in return." The man frowned. She didn't back down, though. She could see him weighing this bet, the wheels and gears turning in his mind as he turned over the possibilities this arrangement could mean. She kept his gaze, however, until he at last sighed and gave a single nod. "Deal?"

"Yeah, doc. You've got a deal."

"Great." She smiled at him. "What was your question?" He scrutinized her intently, like he was trying to get the measure of her.

"Why did you want to be a doctor, on a ship, of all places? Why pursue the sciences?" His hands were wringing in his lap, trembling a little. His eyes, normally a soft, gray-blue were more silver. He looked suddenly much younger.

It was the last sort of question she had expected him to ask, and it took her completely by surprise. Of course, she had been asked this question many times, and she had never really been sure how to answer people. Usually she laughed it off and said she had always wanted to poke and prod at people. In truth, however, it had taken her months to overcome a weak stomach. This time, though, she didn't even consider laughing it off.

For one thing, she had worked her ass off to gain this much of his trust. Beyond that, however, she felt an underlying and genuine connection, a mutual respect. This man was more than just a stepping stone in her career, and she had the sense that this question meant more to him than just a casual interest in her personal affairs.

She took a deep breath and met his eyes again. It wasn't as if she had been keeping dark secrets about her past. There was nothing sinister in her intentions to pursue the path she had chosen.

"When I was very young, I was in an accident with my parents. My father was killed instantly. My mother suffered severe head injuries. She could have recovered, if not for an infection. The doctors treating her didn't even notice it until it was too late.

[to be continued]