Status: Comment if you are subscribed so I can personally thank you! If you enjoy my J. Daniel Atlas story, please let me know! I work very hard on this and would love to know what you think!

Love Is Only an Illusion

Chapter XIV

Image

“Hey, guys!” Henley announced as she walked through the door, holding a McDonald’s bag. Danny and Sutton jumped up from their seats at the sound of her voice. “We got McDonald’s since Jack wouldn’t shut up.”

“I said it wasn’t a life-or-death situation,” Jack explained as he set three bags on the kitchen table. “Power still not back on?”

“Um, no,” Danny stated, grabbing his phone off the coffee table. “Did you get us something?”

“You’re in luck, love birds,” Merritt said as the couple left in darkness rolled their eyes. “Before you eat, though, did anything exciting happen?”

“You’re sick,” Sutton scowled, turning toward her bedroom.

“Whatever fantasy you three have about us, it won’t be playing out any time soon,” Danny told them as he ate a French fry, following Sutton.

“I have no part in this fantasy!” Jack yelled, grabbing his Big Mac from Merritt.

“Does ‘soon’ imply it will happen in the near future?” Merritt added.

Danny met Sutton in the hallway between her and Henley’s room. “About earlier…”

“Our secrets are safe with one another?” Sutton questioned hopefully. Danny nodded in agreement, the two smiling at one another. Sutton patted Danny’s chest as if to lock their secrets away in their hearts. Just then, the lights flicked back on.

“About damn time!” Merritt yelled.

~~

“We need to fly to Paris,” Danny and Sutton announced a few weeks after their situation in the darkness.

“Say what?” Merritt asked in a mocking tone.

“Why would we need to go to Paris?” Jack questioned as he emerged from the kitchen, a leftover monte cristo panini in hand.

“Jack, use a plate,” Sutton commanded, and he turned back to retrieve one. She sighed before saying, “It’s time to rob a bank.”

“In Paris?” Henley exclaimed, a smile growing. “This is, like, a dream come true!”

Sutton giggled as Danny continued. “We aren’t going just for fun. We have a plan to stick to.”

“Yeah, yeah, Atlas,” Merritt waved off. “Let the girl have her fun.”

Danny rolled his eyes. “Will you all pay attention?” Sutton eyed him up. “Please?” he managed through gritted teeth.

“Well, since you asked so nicely,” Jack rolled his eyes, sitting down on the armchair.

“After looking over the plan completely for the past few days,” Sutton explained, “Danny and I think this certain bank is somehow involved with Tressler, but we can’t be sure. There’s no explanation for anything.”

“We’re being tested,” Danny thought aloud, “to see if we can come together and follow a blind lead.”

“Like a shot in the dark?” Henley asked. Sutton nodded.

“What bank is it?” Jack wondered.

“Um, Crédit Républicain de Paris.”

Merritt laughed out loud. The others stared at him in confusion. “Do you know how heavily secured that place is?”

Sutton rolled her eyes. “Yes, Father,” she joked, “but we have explicit instructions for how to rob it. We just need to follow it step-by-step.”

“Sutton and I are going to call Tressler about sending us there, since he does have the money,” Danny informed the other Horsemen.

“How are we going to get the money from the bank, though?” Henley questioned. “This is kind of worrying me.”

“Oh, you and Danny are going to hide under the money in the armed truck,” Sutton piped up. Jack and Merritt erupted in laughter.

“I am not going into a small, tight space with someone who called me fat!”

“And I am not going under there with her,” Danny interjected. “She’ll end up stabbing me with the sleep injection!”

“Oh, I’ll do a lot more than that,” Henley stated, a fake smile plastered on her face.

Merritt shuddered, making a comment about Henley being the Joker from Batman. “Sutton, maybe it would be a better idea if you go with Danny.” Sutton glared at him. “You know, so we don’t need to bury his body.” He smiled with a hidden meaning meant for Sutton.

“W-What about Jack?” Sutton stuttered, gesturing toward her best friend who was rubbing his full stomach.

“You’re kidding, right?” Jack burped. “I am not going into close quarters with another guy.”

“What abou-“

“Not happening, weirdo,” Merritt threw his hands in the air.

Sutton huffed, sitting and the arm of Jack’s chair. “I’ll do it,” she mumbled.

“Oh, and one more thing,” Danny said. “We need to trick someone who has an account at Crédit Républicain into coming to our first show.”

“And our first show is where?” Henley asked.

“Viva Las Vegas!” Sutton sang, flashing the programs she had created. Each team member grabbed for one. “Tressler already booked the MGM Grand for March 29.”

“How ironic,” Jack chuckled.

~~

Sutton’s leg jittered up and down as she sat in the seat across from Jack. The hood of her sweatshirt was up and she bit her thumb, trying to keep her nerves under control as she stared out the window, watching Danny and Tressler talk.

Jack looked up from his Sports Illustrated magazine, raising an eyebrow at her. “You okay, Sutters?”

“Hmm?” she asked, watching Danny shake Tressler’s hand.

“Sutton, look at me,” Jack insisted. When she didn’t he leaned over, moving her head his way. “What’s wrong?”

Sutton shifted in her seat. “I’m just nervous, you know? Going to Paris to rob a bank wasn’t exactly how I pictured myself back in March.” Jack raised an eyebrow. Sutton sighed. “And I never flew on a plane.”

Jack chuckled. “Don’t worry, it’ll be fine. Tressler said his planes fly so much smoother than any other.”

Sutton scoffed. “So you’re taking the word of a thief?”

“I’m just saying that there is nothing to worry about,” Jack reassured, patting her knee.

Danny emerged on the plane, seeing Jack and Sutton near the front, and Henley and Merritt in the back, laughing hysterically. “I guess I’ll take the seat over here,” he whispered to no one in particular. Sitting, he removed his laptop from his bag, sticking his earbuds in to block out any noise.

Danny stared at Sutton and Jack as they held hands, Jack even stroking her hair in a calming motion as the plane took off. He had felt a gurgle in his stomach, and it wasn’t a rumbling for hunger. He was envious of their close relationship. The way that they could act like a couple without being a couple made him sick.

“Hey,” Sutton interrupted Danny’s thoughts, causing him to jump, his laptop almost falling off his lap. Sutton caught it, placing it very close to his groin.

“H-Hey,” Danny croaked, removing his feet from the seat across from him for Sutton to walk past and take the seat between him and the window.

She did so, pulling her legs underneath her. “Jack fell asleep,” she told him as she played with her ring. Jack snored loudly. “And those two won’t stop laughing,” she scoffed, throwing her index finger in their direction.

Danny chuckled. “So, I’m a last resort for your entertainment?”

“Looks like it,” Sutton giggled.

The two sat for a few moments, neither saying a word as they stared out the window.

“Do you think we can really do it?” Sutton asked Danny shifting in her seat to face him.

“Steal the money? Of course,” he scoffed. “I am J. Daniel Atlas, after all.”

Sutton laughed at Danny’s overconfidence in himself. “I wish I had your confidence.”

Danny raised an eyebrow. Remembering their game from the other week, he asked, “Why don’t you?” Sutton looked at him and furrowed her brows. “Why aren’t you confident in yourself all the time? I’ve seen you perform once on a livestream. It’s like you’re on top of the world on stage, but off it you become so self-conscious.”

“I don’t know,” Sutton admitted. “To be honest, I sort of just fake it on stage. I keep up the appearance so I don’t look bad next to Henley. She’s the favorite, you know? All the guys love her the most.”

“Not all of them,” Danny whispered, giving her a small smile. Sutton returned it.

It was in that moment, in the silence of their locked eyes and smiles, that Danny and Sutton felt something. It was the same feeling Sutton felt when she touched Danny’s hand and the power went out. It was the same feeling Danny felt when he told Sutton all those secrets. They were falling for one another, whether it was part of the plan or not.