Status: Comment if you are subscribed so I can personally thank you! If you enjoy my J. Daniel Atlas story, please let me know! I work very hard on this and would love to know what you think!

Love Is Only an Illusion

Chapter XVIII

Image

“Just do exactly as we practiced,” Danny told the other Horsemen, not wanting anything to go wrong.

“Why don’t you do us all a favor and let Sutton run the show, huh?” Merritt told him as he licked his fingers clean from the Doritos he had been eating.

Danny rolled his eyes. “Sutton and I are in agreement. We are both running this thing, even Tressler said so, remember?”

“Yeah, yeah,” Jack, Merritt, and Henley waved as Sutton gave a small giggle.

“You know,” Merritt started, “Las Vegas is known as the gambling capital of the world.”

“Your point?” Danny remarked.

“Well, I just thought I would remind the girls that ‘a little gambling is fun when you're with me.’”

Jack burst out in laughter. “Did you just try to use Lady Gaga lyrics as a pick up line?”

“That’s a poor attempt even for you, Merritt,” Sutton giggled.

The mentalist scowled. “Well, thanks a lot.”

“You know what they also say, Merritt,” Henley said before turning around and singing into a make-up brush. “’I want your love and I want your revenge. You and me could write a bad romance.’”

Jack and Sutton cried out in laughter while Danny sat there in complete shock. “Did that really just happen?” he asked.

“I will take that as an open invitation, Miss Reeves,” Merritt winked, trying his best to hold back a laugh.

“Keep dreaming, Merritt,” Jack chuckled.

“Ah, it’s so lovely to hear you all laughing together,” Tressler spoke as he entered the room, Jasmine on his tail.

“Art,” Merritt called, standing up to shake the benefactor’s hand. “Good to see you, buddy! I was trying to keep these hooligans on the right path. You know, stay away from drugs and what not.”

Jasmine stifled a chuckle as Tressler glared at Merritt. “Are we sure he isn’t on anything?”

The team broke out in laughter. “We’re not 100% sure but there is a possibility that his mind constantly acts as though he is on something,” Sutton joked.

Tressler gave a light laugh. “That was a good one, Miss Reeves. Perhaps if this magic act goes south, you may have a career in stand-up comedy.”

Sutton snorted a laugh. “I’m only funny in the right situation. I could never be a comedian.”

“You won’t need to be one,” Danny reminded her, “because we’re going to blow the roof off this place.”

“Is it just me or is Danny even more awkward when he tries to be cool?” Jack asked.

“I am so cool,” Danny scoffed.

“Very well then,” Tressler stated, stopping an argument from arising. “I expect a ‘thank you’ announcement, yes?”

“Of course,” the Reeves girls smiled. Tressler and Jasmine said their goodbyes and waved, leaving the room.

“I hate having to be nice to that guy,” Sutton moaned as Henley continued with her make-up.

“At least it’s only for a little while longer,” Danny reminded her.

“I know, but I feel bad. I mean, Jasmine is so sweet. I don’t want her to go down with this.”

“She’ll run before she can take any blame,” Merritt interjected. “Trust me, they always do.”

“Don’t be a buzzkill, man,” Jack said, hitting his shoulder. “We need to stay pumped for this. I mean, I’ve been dreaming of this day ever since my uncle taught me how to slice the air with a playing card.”

“I’ve been dreaming about this day ever since I was a little girl traveling with my parents,” Henley said. “Okay, you’re good to go,” she told Sutton, who hopped off the make-up chair and smoothed down her lace dress.

“Wow, that’s a bit short, don’t you think, Sutters?” Jack commented, tugging lightly on the hem.

Sutton shrugged, taking a seat on the couch next to Danny who swallowed hard. It took all he had not to leave indents in her thighs with his fingertips.

“Jack, it is not short,” Henley explained. “I’ve worn shorter outfits before.”

“Oh, we know,” Merritt winked. “Seriously, though, don’t bend over, sweetie.”

“Okay, can we not talk about how short Sutton’s dress may or may not be?” Danny burst, the thoughts in his head going south.

“Oh, is someone enjoying the conversation a bit too much?” Henley joked, raising an eyebrow.

“I-I just want to focus on the show.”

“Me too!” Sutton added quickly, tying her heels on, the penguin anklet from Danny shining. She smiled at the accessory which seemed glued to her body now. She bit her lip to hold back a smile and stood, throwing on her white blazer. “Let’s go warm up.”

The Horsemen made their way behind the large black curtain. As they walked, Merritt pulled Sutton behind the group.

“I’m curious, why do you and Danny always seem to be in agreement?” Merritt asked.

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about,” Sutton said, playing with her microphone.

“Sutton,” Merritt said, grabbing her hand. “I know you have been falling more and more for him ever since that night with Tressler.” Sutton tried to interject but Merritt threw a hand up to stop her. “You’re a big girl, Sutton. I have no right to tell you what you can and can’t do but I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

Sutton nodded, glancing over at Danny as he played with a deck of cards. “Merritt, I can’t tell you all that has happened between Danny and me, not right now at least. What I can tell you, though, is that he isn’t an arrogant asshole with me. He’s…”

“Different,” Merritt finished, sighing. “That’s what they all say.”

“He is, Merritt. You just need to trust me on this one.”

“I trust you, Sutton,” he said, bringing her in for a hug. “It’s him I’m not sure about.”

~~

“Merritt McKinney, Sutton Reeves, Daniel Atlas, Henley Reeves, Jack Wilder,” the announcer’s voice boomed through the speakers. “Arthur Tressler and the MGM Grand proudly presents the Horsemen.” Cheers and claps erupted throughout the large arena. This was it. This was their time.

Sutton drew in a long nervous breath. She looked over at Danny who reflected her actions but gave her a reassuring grin.

“If you can stab a guy with a sleep injection,” Danny whispered, “you can do this.”

Sutton smirked and grabbed Danny’s hand. “We can do this.”

With a quick squeeze to their hands, the team burst onto the stage, cheers increasing twofold.