Status: Comment if you are subscribed so I can personally thank you! If you enjoy my J. Daniel Atlas story, please let me know! I work very hard on this and would love to know what you think!

Love Is Only an Illusion

Chapter XXI

Image

Sutton awoke the next morning with a slight pain between her legs. She let out a loud groan as she sat up slowly, dreading the interrogation that awaited her. After stretching, Sutton showered and did her hair, tying it into a half-up knot at the back of her head. She slipped into a pair of skinny jeans and threw a charcoal tank top over her head before a knock sounded on her door.

“What a beautiful morning for an arrest, eh?” Henley smiled, leaning against the doorframe. She looked her cousin up and down. “Someone looks like they decided to put effort into their outfit today. Hoping to find a single FBI agent?”

Sutton rolled her eyes as she slid on her glasses in order to see to tie her shoelaces. “Heaven forbid I try for a change and make Her Majesty happy.”

Henley giggled like a school girl. “Hurry up, babe. I want to throw some of my make-up in your bag. For some reason, it isn’t all fitting in mine.”

“Maybe if you wouldn’t have bought so many souvenirs you would have room.”

“Shut up and go eat.”

Sutton laughed, grabbing her gray and wine-colored jacket before heading for the stairs. She turned at the bottom toward the kitchen.

“Morning, Sutters,” Jack welcomed her as he drank his morning coffee. He slid her a chocolate chip banana muffin.

“What time did you get to bed, girly?” Merritt asked from the couch as he read a book titled, The Savage Detectives.

Sutton’s eyes met Danny’s as he glanced up from the newspaper. “I think I fell asleep right before 2.”

Jack let out a loud laugh. “I knew you couldn’t stay up late! What about you, Danny? Tell me I’m two for two.”

Danny let out an exaggerated huff. “I passed out right after my shower, so about 1:45.”

Jack chuckled. “You’re ridiculous. We didn’t get in until, what, 3:30?”

“That sounds about right,” Merritt nodded. “Man, that was some party.”

Sutton giggled. “Why don’t you go get dressed? The FBI will be here in about 5 minutes.”

“Let ‘em see me in my jammies,” Merritt protested. “It’s in the Miranda Rights that the criminal has time to change, right?”

“You can’t be serious,” Danny scoffed, carefully folding the paper and setting it on the coffee table before walking over to the large glass windows of the Aria suite.

Sutton licked her fingers as she walked to the kitchen to wash her hands and face. Inhaling, she strode over toward Danny. “Hey,” she whispered only loud enough for him to hear.

Danny looked over at her, a smile pulling at the edge of his lips. “Hey.”

Sutton brushed her hand across Danny’s as she moved closer to him. “I thought about you last night.”

“I thought about you vividly,” Danny expressed as he caught her pinky finger with his own.

Sutton glanced over her shoulder, watching as the FBI stormed toward the entrance of the Aria hotel. “Do you ever wonder if whoever created this whole plan is on the inside?”

“The inside as in the FBI?”

“Yeah,” Sutton confirmed. “I mean, it would make sense for an easy cover, right?”

Danny nodded just as the door of the apartment was flung open. “FBI! Hands where I can see them! Let’s go!” the FBI agents yelled.

“Uno memento,” Merritt told them, lifting a finger.

“He’s going to get us killed,” Sutton muttered as she lifted her hands in surrender. Danny snickered.

“Let’s go! Get ‘em up! Put the book down.”

“Okay, you got me,” Merritt smirked.

“Freeze! Hands in the air!” an agent yelled as the team pointed their guns to the top of the stairs.

“Oh, my!” Henley gasped, throwing her hands up in surprise. “Do one of you guys mind giving us a hand with our bags?”

The agents looked at one another, shaking their heads. “Damn, magicians,” the lead agent muttered. “Grab your bags and let’s go.”

“Do I not get to change?” Merritt asked. “Isn’t that a right?”

~~

The crowd in the Aria lobby cheered for the Horsemen as they made their grand exit.

“Jack!” a group of girls screeched. He gave them a smirk and a curtly nod.

A high-pitched whistle blew, followed by, “Henley, you’re so hot!” Henley smiled and waved.

Sutton huffed, feeling as though she were a year in the past. She was Henley’s sideshow once more, performing the act as Henley received the cheers.

“Danny!” shrieking female voices burst Sutton’s eardrums. It took all she had not to turn to look at the faces of the women.

The agents placed the Horsemen in two separate cars. Sutton, Henley, and Jack rode in one, and Danny and Merritt rode in another.

“I bet Merritt comes out of the car with a black eye,” Jack laughed, nudging Sutton with his elbow.

“No, I bet Merritt interrogates Danny,” Henley smirked.

Jack let out a snort. “Merritt was trying to read him this morning but the asshole wouldn’t put the paper down.”

“W-Why would Merritt have tried to do that?” Sutton stuttered.

“I don’t know,” Jack shrugged. “Merritt said something about a ‘weird vibe’ coming off of Danny.”

“Of course he has a weird vibe,” Henley hissed. “The guy hasn’t had a single girl to impress in over a year. He’s probably sexually frustrated.” Sutton felt a blush crawling up her neck.

“You do know I haven’t had sex in over a year, either,” Jack put in.

Henley pinched his cheek. “And you don’t show your frustration which is why you’re my favorite!”

The drive to the FBI building was rather short. When the cars pulled up, Sutton marveled at the sight before her.

“Glad to be arrested or something?” the FBI agent asked Sutton as he helped her out of the car.

“No,” Sutton smiled politely. “I just always wanted to see an FBI building in person. I’m a big fan of multiple crime shows.”

“Seriously, just stop!” Danny shouted as he quickly got out of the car.

“Oh, come on, Atlas!” Merritt yelled. “The voices in my head don’t lie!”

“You do realize those voices are your conscious telling you to find psychological help,” Danny threw back.

“I resent that!” Sutton shouted, turning Danny’s attention her way. He gave her a quick smirk.

“Yeah, but you have real talent,” he winked. Sutton blushed as Merritt hollered some more.