Status: Comment if you are subscribed so I can personally thank you! If you enjoy my J. Daniel Atlas story, please let me know! I work very hard on this and would love to know what you think!

Love Is Only an Illusion

Chapter VIII

Image

The Met Gala event came quickly. Sutton sat in her cousin’s cluttered bedroom in front of the large vanity covered in makeup. She was wearing nothing but athletic shorts and a bra, as it made it wouldn’t mess up her hair to remove it. She admired her freshly painted nails which matched her heels perfectly. Sutton touched her ring as she looked into the mirror.

“This is ridiculous,” Sutton stated, shaking her head.

“Then why are you smiling?” Henley smiled as she played with Sutton’s hair.

Sutton quickly covered her plum-covered lips. “I’m not.”

Henley chuckled as she finished putting the last bobby pin into Sutton’s hair. She moved in front of her cousin and removed her hand from her lips. “It’s okay to be excited.”

Sutton sighed. “I just feel weird, you know?” Henley grimaced at her in confusion. “I don’t really know Danny well. I just know he is controlling and quite arrogant, to be honest.”

Henley smiled at her knowingly. “Don’t worry about Danny. He can actually be a gentleman when he wants to be.” Sutton nodded, and Henley sprayed her hair with hairspray, applying enough in hopes of it staying throughout the night.

Sutton took the hand Henley held out for her and stood. “You’re finished, beautiful,” Henley said, admiring her creation. “Do you want help putting on your dress?”

“No, I got it,” Sutton confirmed with a nod.

Henley smiled and left. Sutton could hear Henley say, “Your tie isn’t on right,” to Danny, who replied with a sigh.

Sutton removed her athletic shorts and bra, replacing it with the beautiful grape-colored dress Henley had bought her for her last birthday. Sutton faced the mirror, not even recognizing the person staring back at her.

However, this was not a time to panic. Sutton had committed to the plan, so there was no going back. She took in a deep breath, letting it fill her slowly before breathing out even slower.

“You can do this, Sutton,” the young woman told herself. “It’s not even a date. It’s a mission.” With that, she opened the door and walked to the living room.

Sutton’s breath hitched in her throat when she saw Danny. He stood in the living room laughing with the others. He was dressed nicely in a black suit and matching tie. His hair was combed neatly, not a hair out of place.

Henley noticed her entrance and cleared her throat, gesturing to Sutton. The boys turned their attention toward her, eyes widening in surprise.

“Damn,” Jack said, getting up from his seat and taking Sutton’s hand, spinning her around. “You clean up good, Sutters.”

“Thanks, Jackers,” Sutton blushed, using the nickname she had given him.

Merritt held his hand to his mouth, faking a gasp. “My little baby’s all grown up,” he cried, causing Sutton to chuckle.

“Danny?” Henley said, swinging her elbow at his back.

Danny stumbled forward, almost hitting Sutton. He stood upright quickly, clearing his throat. “You, um, I, um, you-“

“It’s okay, Atlas,” Sutton blushed. “Say whatever smartass comment you want. Just get it out of your system.”

“I wasn’t going to say anything like that,” Danny stuttered in an effort to defend himself. “I was just going to remind you not to screw up.”

“Daniel!” the other three magicians exclaimed.

“Okay, okay,” Danny said, throwing his hands up. “You do look very nice, Sutton.”

“I’ll take the comment, Atlas, since I know how difficult it was for you to get out,” Sutton reassured.

“You kids have fun,” Merritt smiled.

“But not too much funny, Daniel,” Henley reminded him in a threatening tone as he quickly made his exit.

“Bye, guys!” Sutton waved to the team as she followed Danny.

The two walked out of the apartment building in silence. Danny opened the door to the taxi Henley had called for them. She did not want Sutton walking to the city in heels.

“Thanks,” Sutton smiled at Danny as she carefully climbed in. Danny nodded before running around the back and getting in himself.

Danny told the driver the location, and again the two were in silence. Sutton watched the sky grow dark from the window of the yellow car, wondering just how tonight may go.

“You know, you do look beautiful tonight,” Danny whispered to Sutton, breaking her from her trance.

“Oh, um, thanks, Danny,” she blushed. “You don’t look too bad either. I’m not used to seeing your hair neatly combed.”

It was Danny’s turn to blush as he combed through his hair with his fingers. Sutton smiled at his movements.

The taxi pulled up next to the curb opposite of the Met Gala building. Danny paid the nice man and once again rushed to open Sutton’s door. She thanked him before her breath caught in her throat at his cold touch on the small of her back. Danny smiled, noticing the effect he had on the young girl.

The couple walked the stairs up the building. Once inside, they were escorted to Arthur Tressler’s table. Jack had made sure to hack into the table arrangements the day before.

“This is it,” Danny whispered to Sutton as he pulled out her chair for her.

“Don’t screw up, I know,” Sutton reassured him. She felt Danny’s breath on her neck as he chuckled.

“Hello,” Tressler’s wife Jasmine smiled as Danny took his seat. “Are you here to purchase gowns?” Jasmine asked, curious as to why these strangers were here.

“Well, actually, my friend here is just a very big fan of fashion,” Danny lied, smiling at Sutton.

“That’s lovely,” Jasmine said. “Oh, Arthur!” she called, standing up and greeting her husband with a kiss.

“That is so gross,” Sutton mumbled as Danny held a chuckle back.

“Arthur, this is…” Jasmine trailed. “I’m sorry, I did not quite catch your names.”

“Oh, that’s alright,” Danny reassured, standing up. “I’m J. Daniel Atlas and this is Sutton Reeves,” he gestured to Sutton as he shook Tressler’s hand.

“Very nice to meet you,” Tressler stated, reaching for Sutton’s hand and giving it a small kiss. Sutton blushed at the small gesture. She watched as Danny clenched and unclenched his jaw.

“Tell me,” Tressler began as he took a seat next to his wife. “What is it you do with yourselves?”

“Oh, Arthur!” Jasmine playful hit him. “It’s always money with you.” The four laughed.

“We, uh, we are actually magicians,” Danny stuttered, his nerves beginning to be seen by Sutton.

“Magicians?” Jasmine piped up. “How come I never heard of you?”

“Well, um, we aren’t nationally known,” Danny stammered.

“But Danny is much more famous than I am,” Sutton complimented. Danny smiled graciously at her, the idea of fame going to his head.

“We and a few other friends are trying to start a group of five magicians, actually,” Danny added.

“That’s fantastic!” Jasmine smiled. “Isn’t it, Arthur?” He nodded as he studied the couple closely. “Do you need help getting started?” This was easier than Sutton and Danny had anticipated.

“Actually, yeah, we do,” Danny answered. “I mean, magic isn’t all it’s cracked up to be financially.”

Jasmine smiled kindly. “Arthur, maybe we can help them.”

Arthur studied them hard for a bit, but then released his hand from his chin. “A benefactor, you say?” Sutton and Danny nodded. “As long as my name is first,” he smiled.

Sutton and Danny let out a sigh of relief. “I promise you, you will not be disappointed, sir,” Danny stated, shaking Tressler’s hand once more.

“Call me when you need anything,” Tressler stated, handing Danny a contact card.

Sutton smiled at Jasmine, thanking her silently for convincing her scheming husband to help them. The fashion show had started, and Sutton leaned back into her seat to watch the girls show off marvelous gowns.

“Glad you didn’t screw up,” Danny whispered in her ear, causing chills to run down Sutton’s spine.

“Glad you didn’t degrade me,” Sutton joked, turning her attention to the models.

~~

As the show came to a close, Danny and Sutton once again shook the cold hand of Arthur Tressler. The couple made their way out of the Met Gala, Danny’s hand never leaving the small of Sutton’s back. They chose not to hail a taxi just yet and take a walk. They started down the street after Sutton had removed her heels, which Danny took without a complaint.

“Are you feeling okay?” Sutton questioned Danny with a smirk.

“Why-Why wouldn’t I be?” Danny stuttered, searching her face for an answer.

Sutton giggled. “You didn’t make fun of me, didn’t complain about anything I did. What’s up, Atlas?”

A blush started to rise up Danny’s cheeks. “I just didn’t want to be the control freak for a change. Trust me, it will be completely different back home,” he scoffed.

“I’m sure, Atlas,” Sutton sighed, “I’m sure.”

They had reached a small park with a swing set, drawing Sutton toward it. “Push me,” she smiled at Danny as he slowly followed her.

“And here I thought we were supposed to be enemies,” Danny replied.

Sutton looked at him in confusion as he drew closer. “Enemies?”

“Yeah, you know. I’m the control freak and you’re-“

“Just as much of a control freak?” Sutton suggested. Danny looked at her as if he didn’t see it. “I like everything to have order. I like taking control of situations. Don’t think you’re the only one, Danny. I just know how to control my controlling,” she laughed.

Danny chuckled as he placed his hands on the swing’s chain, standing in front of Sutton as they looked at one another.

“You are going to push me, right?” Sutton smiled, causing Danny to laugh once again and walk behind her to push.

After a few minutes of pushing, Sutton asked, “What’s one thing people don’t know about you?”

“One thing people don’t know about me?” he thought. “Um, I secretly like when a girl takes control.”

Sutton leaned back in the swing to look at Danny’s face. “You’re lying.”

“I’m not,” Danny smiled, taking a seat next to her. “I like when a girl can take control of me in…” he trailed off, clearing his throat. “Um, never mind. That’s not very professional.”

“Come on, Atlas,” Sutton pushed, pulling on the chain of Danny’s swing to bring them closer. “You like a girl who can take control of you in… Oh!” Sutton said, letting go of the chain to allow the two to drift apart. She realized what Danny wanted to hide, and was ashamed of herself for pushing him.

“Yeah,” Danny blushed. “I’m sorry, Sutton. That wasn’t the answer you were probably hoping for.”

Sutton laughed. “Don’t worry, Danny. I’m not going to tell the others about your fantasy.”

“Fantasy? It has happened before!”

“Yeah right,” Sutton snorted. “No girl could ever control you, not even in the most vulnerable situation.”

Danny grabbed the chains of Sutton’s swing, standing up in front of her. “Okay, maybe a girl hasn’t been able to control me completely, but I have one in mind that definitely could.”

“Who?” Sutton laughed, playing along.

Danny bent his head low, moving his face close to Sutton’s. “You.”

Sutton’s face went from joking to pure shock. She wasn’t sure if the smirk on his lips was due to the enjoyment of messing with her, or if he was actually serious. In hopes of making herself sound less shocked, Sutton joked, “I don’t even think I could control you, Atlas.”

“Let’s see,” Danny whispered, without skipping a beat. He moved closer to Sutton’s face, his eyes never leaving her eyes. Danny’s hand reached for her cheek in an action to draw her face closer to his, and Sutton panicked.

“Ow!” Danny yelled, quickly drawing away from Sutton’s stinging hand. “What the hell, Sutton?” He held his thumping face.

“What the hell, Danny?” Sutton mimicked. “You were trying to kiss me!”

“I was only joking!” Danny defended. “So if I was actually going to kiss you, you’d slap me?”

“Um, yeah,” Sutton declared. “I’ve known for, what, a month? I’m not one of your one-night stands, Atlas.”

Danny looked at her hurt, and it wasn’t just from the sting of the slap. “Sutton, I wasn’t going to sleep with you! I just wanted to mess with your head.”

“Well, as you can see, my head is not something which should be messed with,” Sutton stated angrily. She headed toward the road to hail a taxi.

Danny followed her, in fear that she may leave him there. When Danny reached Sutton, she was about to open the taxi door. “I’m sorry, okay? I just got frustrated with you always having the upper hand.”

“Are you sure you aren’t sexually frustrated?” Sutton asked, raising an eyebrow.

Danny smirked at her. “Really? You’re going to ask me that when you look like this?”

Sutton blushed and Danny chuckled, glad to have shut her up for a change. Danny opened the door for Sutton, and the two rode in silence once more.