If You Love Me

One Hundred: You Can Make It Up To Me

Sparing a tired yawn into her hand, Nora rested her head back against the couch cushion, her eyes closing quietly. It was early, like most mornings since he had arrived, Rafael had stirred a little before six in the morning, and with Gerard having departed for the team’s pre-season tour, she had no choice but to climb out of bed, even if she been warm and comfortable, she knew that she had to check on the little boy who had quickly fallen back to sleep after she had fed him.

It had been a while, after the final, she and Gerard had been quick to take a couple of weeks out of Barcelona before he had been ushered into preseason training, and Nora had to admit that she was pleased with how settled things were between the two of them. She had been slightly worried, when she had discovered that she was expecting Rafael, a small part of her had worried that it would be a little too much too soon for her and Gerard, but she was thrilled by how they’d adapted, even if it had been a little tougher for the two of them to catch a moment to themselves. She was more than happy with the way things had worked out.

Allowing another soft yawn to fall out of her mouth, she quietly moved to comb her fingers through her blonde hair tiredly for a moment before the sound of her phone vibrating against the table reached her ears, causing her to startle slightly. Sitting up, she spared a quick look towards Rafael who was happily snoozing in his Moses basket at her side, before she ducked forwards, lifting the phone against her ear. “Hola?” she noted, stifling another soft yawn into her hand.

“You sound awake” Gerard’s voice chirped “Did I wake you?” he posed.

Nora rolled her eyes to herself before she shook her head. “You didn’t” she replied “I woke up a little while ago with Rafa and I’ve not quite made it back upstairs yet, but I am surprised to hear from you so early. I figured you’d be asleep by now” she added, her voice warm and teasing.

“Normally, I would have been” Gerard replied “But today is kind of a special day and I wanted to talk to you” he quipped warmly.

Nora, who’d moved to rest back into the couch slightly, quirked a small smile before she lifted her hand, tentatively twisting a strand of her blonde hair around her finger. “It is?” she quipped teasingly “And why would that be?” she added.

Gerard let out a small mock scoff. “You’ve forgotten?” he quipped playfully.

Nora giggled. “Of course not” she noted “Happy first wedding anniversary, Geri” she added, a fond smile playing at the corner of her mouth.

“Happy first wedding anniversary, Nora” Gerard replied warmly “I’m sorry that I am not there for it” he added, his voice soft and apologetic. It hadn’t surprised them, both he and Nora had been aware that his schedule meant that he was away for their anniversary, but still he felt a little bad about it, even if Nora had insisted that he had nothing to feel bad about. He was a little disappointed that he wasn’t around to share the day with her.

Nora smiled a little at the softness in his voice before she shook her head. “It’s OK” she noted “I mean, I kind of wish you were here, but we both knew that you wouldn’t be. You’ll just have to make it up to me when you get home” she added brightly.

Gerard laughed softly. “I think I could probably handle that” he noted “Do you have anything specific in mind?” he asked, a yawn falling out of his mouth.

Nora, who’d moved to get a little more comfortable on the couch, smiled at the sound his yawn. “Are you sure that you’d rather not hang up and get some sleep?” she posed “I mean, you sound like you could use it and I can wait. You can call me back later if you want” she offered.

“I’d rather talk to you now” Gerard replied swiftly “But if you want to hang up...”

“I’m OK” Nora interrupted.

Gerard chuckled at the interruption. “Ok” he noted “So, how would you like me to make it up to you once I get home?” he posed.

Nora paused for a moment, mulling his question over briefly, before she shook her head, her fingers still fiddling shyly with the ends of her hair. “You could take me to dinner” she noted “I mean, I don’t quite remember the last time that you and I actually went out to a restaurant, just the two of us, and I think that that sounds pretty great, but I’d be happy with anything. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I do kind of enjoy spending time with you” she added, sparing a small yawn into her hand.

“You know, I had noticed that” Gerard played along.

Nora let out a soft giggle at his teasing before she allowed another soft yawn to fall out of her mouth, something which made Gerard sigh warmly. “Nena” he mused “You really do sound like you could use a little more sleep. Rafa’s sleeping, he will be for a little while longer, so why don’t you just curl up there and pull that sweater of mine which I know you’re wearing around you?” he noted, a hint of a smile in his voice.

Nora spared a look down towards the sweater she wore, slightly amused that he knew she was wearing it, before she shook her head. “I think that that’s probably a good idea” she noted “But I will hear from you again later?” she posed.

“Of course” Gerard replied “I’ll video call you later, so that I can see Alba and Rafa too, but for right now, get some sleep, mi amor” he fussed.

Nora nodded. “I will do” she noted “And you get some too” she added.

“I will” Gerard replied “Happy anniversary, Nora” he added.

Nora smiled at his words before she lightly brushed her hair behind her ear. “Happy anniversary, Gerard” she repeated “I love you” she added.

“I love you too” Gerard mused warmly before he hung up the call. Nora smiled softly at his words, allowing them to hang around her for a few moments, before she leant forwards, settling her phone down onto the coffee table. Sparing a quick look toward Rafael who was still sound asleep, she stretched out slightly before she moved to curl up against the couch cushion, wordlessly fussing about it being the first anniversary of many.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)