If You Love Me

Twelve: Figure It Out

“Don’t you have anywhere else you need to be?” Nora posed as she stepped back into the living room, her blue eyes settling on Gerard who still sat on the couch, flicking absently through the television channels. It had been a little while, after they’d shared their first kiss, things in the apartment had relaxed slightly, and it pleased Nora, even if she knew that they still had a lot to talk about it. She was pleased that at least some of the tension which had filled the apartment when Gerard had arrived had dissipated.

Gerard, who’d been focused on the television screen, startled a little at the sound of her voice before he lifted his head, shaking it slightly. “Are you trying to get rid of me?” he quipped with a playful smile.

Nora admired his smile briefly before she rolled her eyes slightly, moving to settle down in the armchair. “Of course not” she noted softly “But I was just making sure that you didn’t have anywhere else that you needed to be. I’d hate to be getting in the way of your plans” she added gently.

Gerard offered her a small look before he carefully shuffled towards the edge of the couch, his hand gently moving to take a hold of hers which fiddled aimlessly with a loose thread which poked out of the seat cushion. He knew that she was a little uncertain, from the moment that they’d kissed, she had appeared a little unsure and nervous, and he wanted to offer her a little comfort, even if he knew that things between them were likely to feel a little strange for a while. He wanted to reassure her that things weren’t going to move any faster than she was comfortable with.

Gently slotting their fingers together, he smiled a little at the fit before he lifted their hands, allowing him to press a gentle kiss against her warm skin. “You know” he mumbled quietly “This, whatever it is, it’s not going to move any faster than you want it to, Nora” he added quietly, trying not to burst the bubble which they found themselves in.

Nora, who’d been quietly watching their hands, shook her head quietly. “I know that we can’t ignore it” she murmured softly “I mean, one way or another, things between us…they’re going to be different, but I guess…I guess I am a little worried” she admitted gently. She knew that there was no avoiding it, after the conversation that they had shared, there was little chance of them simply ignoring things, but still she was a little apprehensive. She liked them, when things were good between them, they were very good, and she was slightly worried that if they pushed things, then they’d lose their friendship, something she didn’t want to happen.

Gerard, who’d moved to mess quietly with her fingers, tilted his head. “You’re worried?” he posed softly.

“A little” Nora confirmed with a small nod “I just don’t want us to push this, Gerard, only to watch it fall apart. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I kind of like having you around” she added, her voice caught between teasing and shy.

Gerard smiled softly at her half-hearted joke before he offered her hand another soft squeeze. “We don’t have to do anything that you don’t want to do, Nora” he mused softly “I mean, I know that I want to do, I want to give this…us, a shot, but that doesn’t mean that we have to push anything. We can take it as slowly or as quickly as you want to” he added, his thumb lightly brushing over the back of her hand.

Nora chewed on her lip quietly, her blue eyes watching the nimble movements of his thumb, before she gently shook her head. “You’re sure about this?” she posed quietly.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he nodded. “I’m pretty sure” he noted softly “But if you’re not…”

“We can take things slowly?” Nora interrupted, her blue eyes shyly peeking up into his.

“As slowly as you want” Gerard insisted with a small nod.

Nora quietly mulled his words over for a few seconds before she quirked a light smile. “I think…I think I like the sound of that” she murmured gently.

Gerard tilted his head. “You don’t sound so sure” he quipped with a light teasing grin.

Nora offered him a small playful glare before she shook her head. “I like you” she murmured softly “And I would like to give us a chance, but I want to be careful, Gerard. I want to take things slowly” she added, her blue eyes mirroring his.

Gerard held her stare for a couple of moments before he carefully shuffled a little closer to her, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her lips. Nora stilled, slightly surprised by the soft kiss, but she quickly warmed to it, a soft smile forming on her face. It felt a little unfamiliar, the idea that it was Gerard that was kissing her was going to take a little getting used to, but Nora had to admit that she liked it. It was warm and soft and she could easily see herself getting used to it.

Gerard held her close for a few seconds, not missing the smile which had formed on her lips, before he gently leant back, pressing a couple of brief kisses against her nose and forehead. “Are you busy tomorrow night?” he mumbled, lightly brushing a few stray blonde hairs off of her face.

Nora leant into his touch slightly before she shook her head. “I don’t think so” she noted gently “Why? What’ve you got in mind?” she added curiously.

Gerard shrugged. “I was just thinking that maybe we could head out tomorrow” he suggested softly “Or you could come over to mine” he babbled gently.

Nora smiled a little, not missing the hint of nervousness in his voice, before she cocked her head to the side. “Are you trying to ask me on a date, Gerard?” she poked, her voice bright and teasing.

Gerard scoffed a little, his cheeks tinting a light shade of pink, before he nodded his head. “I guess so” he noted, playing along “Is that something you might be interested in?” he added softly.

Nora offered him a small nonchalant shrug, something which made him scoff before he leant towards her, stealing another soft kiss. Nora giggled, slightly amused by the pout he had worn on his face, before she pulled away, gently pushing some of the dark hair off of his forehead. “I’d love to go on a date with you, Gerard” she murmured softly.

“You would?” Gerard posed softly.

Nora nodded her head gently. “I would” she confirmed softly “But do you think that, for the time being, we can try and keep whatever this is between the two of us? I mean, it’s so early and the last thing I want is…”

“Nora, it’s fine” Gerard interrupted “The last thing I want is other people getting involved in this before we even know what it is. For the time being, it can be our little secret” he added, flashing her a small reassuring smile.

Nora offered him soft glance, admiring the gentle smile that he wore, before she returned it. It was going to take some figuring out, things between her and Gerard were likely to take a while to settle down, but she wanted to give them a shot, even if they did have to keep it to themselves for a little while. She wanted to make sure that they tried everything to make things work for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)