If You Love Me

Thirteen: This Isn’t A First

Sparing a small glance towards her car mirror, Nora let out a gentle sigh, her blue eyes scanning her appearance for what felt like the hundredth time that night. She knew that it was a little silly, with her and Gerard having been friends for as long as they had, she had been expecting that she would feel a little less nervous ahead of their date than she usually would, but if anything she felt slightly more nervous, something which unsettled her slightly. She knew that it was a big deal, the idea that she and Gerard had agreed to try to be something a little more than friends was a big step for them, but she had hoped that she would feel more at ease. It wasn’t the first the time, they’d often spent nights alone together, but the idea that it was their first date unsettled Nora.

Allowing a nervous sigh to fall out of her mouth, she spared her reflection another soft gander before she carefully pulled herself away from the car, quietly padding up towards the door. Gently brushing a few loose strands of blonde hair off of her cheeks, she briefly contemplated heading back towards her car before she gently lifted her hand, pressing the doorbell a couple of times before she stepped back, waiting patiently for a few seconds before the door swung open, revealing Gerard who greeted her with a small amused smirk.

“You opted to show up then” Gerard quipped, his blue eyes wandering up and down her quietly “I was about 50-50 as to whether you would” he added playfully. He knew that she was a little nervous, from the moment that he had put forwards the idea of them having a first date the night previous, he had known that she was a little uncomfortable, and he wanted to encourage her to relax slightly, even if he doubted that he could erase her nerves entirely. He wanted her to be as calm and content as she could be.

Nora, who’d moved to smooth out the front of her dress, lifted her head slightly, offering him a small glare, something which made Gerard chuckle lightly before he stretched his arm out, offering her his hand. “Come on” he mused softly “I’ve already had some food delivered and I figured, since it was a warm night out, that you’d prefer to sit outside. I’ve got a bottle of your favourite wine too” he added, offering her a softer smile.

Nora spared a soft look down towards his hand before she tentatively placed hers in it, something which caused Gerard to slot their fingers together before he carefully guided her through the house and out into the garden. Nora followed after him quietly before he offered her seat, something she was quick to take, offering him a light smile.

Gerard returned her smile softly before he ducked back into the house, returning seconds later with a bottle of wine and a pair of glasses. “You don’t mind staying here, do you?” he posed gently “I mean, I thought about getting us a reservation somewhere…”

“I don’t mind at all” Nora interrupted softly “Besides, I am pretty nervous and would rather not embarrass myself in front of a restaurant full of people” she added softly.

Gerard, who’d moved to pour them both a glass of wine, tilted his head. “You’re nervous?” he quipped, his voice caught between teasing and curious.

Nora offered him a small playful glare before she shrugged her shoulders lightly. “I know that this isn’t exactly our first time hanging out by ourselves, but the idea that it is a date…it’s a little nerve-wracking” she admitted gently, taking a small sip of her drink.

Gerard offered her a small glance, quietly mulling over her words, before he nodded his head. “It’s a little strange” he agreed gently “But you said it yourself, this isn’t really a first for us. It’s dinner, Nora, we’ll sit here and talk for a while before you decide to call it a night. The only difference is that when you decide to say goodnight, I might kiss you” he added, offering her a warm grin.

Nora, who was messing shyly with the glass that she held in her hand, quirked an eyebrow. “Might kiss me?” she quipped.

“I’ve not decided yet” Gerard returned with a small shrug.

Nora rolled her eyes slightly before she let out a soft laugh, something which made Gerard smile gently before he pushed himself up to his feet, musing about collecting their food before he ducked back into the house. Nora watched after him for a couple of seconds before she quietly shook her head, a soft smile playing at the corner of her mouth. She knew that it would take a little while, with things between her and Gerard changing, it would take a little while for them to feel entirely at ease around one another, but she was confident that they’d get there, even if it did take them a few attempts. She was confident that they’d figure things out.

~#~
Pulling the material of her dress a little more down her arms, Nora shifted slightly in her seat, trying to get herself slightly warmer. It had been a pleasant night, after her nerves had faded slightly, she and Gerard had settled into a familiar and comfortable rhythm, and Nora had to admit that she was pleased with how things had panned out, even if she was still a little apprehensive about the idea of her and Gerard trying to make a romantic relationship work. She had enjoyed the date that he had set up for them.

Sparing a small sigh, she attempted to pull her sleeves down a little more before the sound of a chuckle reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes settling on Gerard who stood in the doorway. “You know, you could just come inside” he teased “It’s probably a lot easier than trying to ruin your dress” he added as he stepped towards her, lightly straightening out the material of her sleeve.

Nora watched his hand for a moment, admiring the small nimble movements, before she shook her head. “It’s starting to get a little late” she noted softly “Do you mind if I go?” she posed quietly.

Gerard quirked a small grin before he shook his head. “Of course I don’t, Nora” he noted.

Nora nodded her gently before she stepped away from him slightly, moving to collect her bag before she stepped back ahead of him, flashing him a slightly awkward grin, something which made him chuckle softly before he stepped towards her, his hand lightly cupping her cheek. “You’re pretty cute when you’re nervous, you know that?” he teased, his thumb brushing along her cheekbone.

Nora’s cheeks tinted a soft shade of red, something which made Gerard let out another small laugh before he ducked down, pressing a light kiss against her red skin. “I’ve had a good night, Nora” he mumbled quietly “A really good night” he added, pressing a kiss against her other cheek.

Nora ducked her head slightly before she shook her it, a small shy smile on her lips. “It was a good night, wasn’t it?” she mumbled quietly “I mean, it had its moments, but I think…I think it went pretty well” she babbled shyly.

Gerard smiled, slightly amused by her babbling, before he carefully tilted her head up, allowing him the opportunity to lean into her, pressing a light kiss against her lips before he ducked back, lightly brushing a couple of hairs off of her face. “It went very well, Nora” he enthused softly “So much so, I think we ought to do it again” he added gently.

“You do?” Nora quipped, her voice caught between teasing and curious.

Gerard nodded his head. “I do” he noted “And I think it will be your turn to plan it” he added, flashing her a bright teasing smile.

Nora rolled her eyes lightly before she nodded her head. “I think I can probably come up with something” she noted softly “But right now…” her words trailed off as Gerard ducked into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Holding her close for a few seconds, he enjoyed the light kiss before he stepped back, sparing her another soft smile. “Buenos noches, Nora” he noted softly.

Nora blinked a couple of times, slightly caught off guard by the soft kiss, before she nodded her head softly. “Buenos noches, Gerard” she returned gently before she stepped away from him, wordlessly fussing about how well the night had gone for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)