If You Love Me

Twenty Six: I Told You So

Gently clipping the last of her blonde hair into place, Nora took in a soft breath, trying shift the knot which twitched in the pit of her stomach before she made her way downstairs. She knew what was waiting for her, the sound of the doorbell a few minutes earlier had confided that Gerard’s mother and father had arrived, but she had wanted to take a couple of seconds to compose herself before she made her way into the living room. She knew that she had nothing to be worried about, for a while, both Joan and Montserrat had proven to be pretty fond of her, but still she was slightly nervous, even if Gerard had been quick to assure that there was no need to be, she was slightly worried that they’d not take to her new relationship with their son.

Offering her reflection a soft glance, she nibbled on her lip quietly before the sound of a light knock at the bathroom door reached her ears, causing her to turn around, her blue eyes settling on Gerard who stood in the doorway, a knowing smile on his face. “Are you nearly done hiding?” he quipped, his voice bright and teasing.

“I’m not hiding” Nora countered, shaking her head softly.

Gerard snorted playfully before he stepped into the room, his arms wrapping contently around her waist. “Of course you’re not” he mumbled softly “That’s why you’re stood in here. Because you’re not hiding” he teased, pressing a light kiss against her side of her neck.

Nora shifted a little at the feel of his lips against her neck before she lightly shook her head, something which made Gerard smile lightly before he gently turned her around, his blue eyes mirroring hers. “You know I love you, right?” he posed softly.

“You’ve mentioned it” Nora mused, a faint smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Gerard marveled at the small smile before he shook his head, his hand moving to take a hold of hers. “You’ve got nothing to be worried about” he mused softly “My parents, they want me to be happy and right now, I’m pretty happy. I love you, Nora, and that’s not something which is going to change easily. I’ve grown pretty used to being able to do this when I want to” he enthused before he ducked into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Nora stilled for a moment, not quite expecting the light kiss, before she leant into him slightly, kissing him back. Gerard smiled at her response and held her close for a few moments before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached his ears, causing him to duck back, his eyes glancing towards where his mother stood in the door way, a fond smile on her face. “I didn’t mean to intrude” Montserrat noted “I was just wondering where you’d gotten to” she added, her eyes peeking towards Nora who had ducked behind Gerard slightly, a soft hint of pink playing on her cheeks

Gerard followed the line of his mother’s stare before he gently shook his head, his arm settling happily around Nora’s waist. “We were just on our way out, mama” he noted softly.

Montserrat offered him a small nod before she flicked her attention back towards Nora, offering her a slight smile. “Hola, Nora” she greeted gently “It’s been a while” she added.

Nora nodded her head lightly. “It has been” she agreed softly “It’s nice to see you again” she added, her voice slightly shy.

Montserrat smiled a little at the nervousness in the younger woman’s voice before she stepped towards her, squeezing her shoulder lightly. “Come on” she enthused softly “I’ve just finished putting together some lunch and I figured we could enjoy it before Gerard gets going” she added kindly. She could see that Nora was nervous, from the moment that she had stepped into the room, it had been written all over the blonde woman’s face, but she didn’t want to bring attention to it, wanting to ease Nora into spending time with her and husband.

Nora flashed her a small smile before she nodded her head, something which caused Montserrat smile lightly before she stepped out of the room. Nora watched her out of the room for a second before she flicked her eyes up towards Gerard who smiled down at her. “I told you” he noted softly “You’ve got nothing to worry about” he added before he dipped down, sneaking a quick kiss before he stepped out of the room, pulling Nora along beside him.

~#~
“Are you sure that I can’t help you clear up?” Nora posed as she stepped into the kitchen, her blue eyes peeking shyly towards Montserrat who stood beside the sink, washing the plates that they’d used for lunch. It had been a pleasant afternoon, even despite Nora’s nerves, the meal had been calm and nice, and Nora had to admit that she was pleased, even if she had been more than a little shy when it came to speaking to Gerard’s mother and father. She was pleased that things seemed to be going well.

Montserrat, who’d moved to place another plate into the sink, lifted her head, offering Nora a warm smile. “You’d not mind that?” she posed.

Nora shook her head. “Of course not” she mused warmly “Besides, I doubt Gerard is about to come out here and offer his help” she added teasingly.

Montserrat spared a light laugh before she leant over, offering a dish towel out towards Nora who took it, moving to stand at the older woman’s side as a silence settled over the two of them. Messing quietly with the dish towel, Nora spared a nervous look towards the older woman, something which made Montserrat smile gently. “You know, I don’t think I’ve seen you this nervous before” she noted softly.

Nora, who’d moved to wipe over a plate, shook her head softly, a nervous smile appearing on her lips. “I know that it is silly” she noted gently “I mean, it’s not exactly like this is the first time that we’ve met, but I guess…I guess it feels different now” she added softly, her blue eyes briefly peeking towards the older woman.

Montserrat met her stare before she shook her head softly, a warm smile appearing on her face. “Nora, sweetheart, you have nothing to be nervous about” she noted gently “You and Gerard, it’s been a long time coming and I am happy for you, both of you. You two, you’re good together, Nora, and as long as that is the case, then I am very happy about things. He’s been pretty smitten with you for a while now” she added, her voice warm and reassuring.

Nora tilted her head. “He has been?” she asked, a faint smile on her lips.

Montserrat noted the smile and nodded, returning it lightly. “He’ll never admit it, but he’s been pretty smitten with you for a long time and I am pleased that you two finally got things together. I like you and I hope that it works out for you” she enthused warmly before she offered Nora’s hand a light squeeze.

Nora smiled a little at her words before the sound of footsteps reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, watching as Gerard stepped into the room, something which caused his mother to excuse herself. Gerard watched the older woman out of the room before he turned to Nora, lifting an eyebrow slightly. “You two alright?” he posed gently.

Nora, who’d watched Montserrat step out of the room, smiled a little. “I think so” she mused softly.

Gerard grinned at the sight of the smile on her face before he stepped towards, pressing a kiss against her lips as he mumbled a soft ‘I told you so’.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)