If You Love Me

Thirty: Eventually

Gently yawning into his hand, Gerard nudged the door open with his hip, trying to keep quiet. It was early, the fact that Nora was still curled up beneath his duvet confided it, but with him due to travel with the Barcelona squad for their match that evening, he had opted to get out of bed slightly earlier, wanting to make a little bit of a fuss before he left. He knew that it wasn’t a big deal, for the past few years, he and Nora had celebrated their birthdays together, but he still he wanted to mark it, even if it was a little sentimental. He wanted to make a fuss of her on her birthday.

Quietly stepping into the room, he moved to place the tray of breakfast that he had bought up with him onto the end table before he settled down onto the bed, his blue eyes watching Nora sleep for a couple of seconds. It still felt a little unfamiliar, the idea that he and Nora were more than just friends still felt a little foreign to him, but he was starting to get used to it, something which pleased him. He had been worried, when they’d agreed to give things a shot, he been worried that they’d stumble quickly, but he was pleased that they hadn’t, even if it was still relatively early days. He was pleased that things between him and Nora seemed to be working out.

Sitting quietly for a few seconds, he allowed the air to be filled by Nora’s light snores before he leant a little closer to her, gently kissing the side of her neck. Nora stirred a little at the feel of his lips, letting out a small grumble, but didn’t wake up, something which made Gerard smile against her skin briefly before he gently kissed the warm skin once more, working his way up her neck before he pressed a light kiss to the spot beneath her ear. “Nora” he breathed softly “Nena, come on. I’ve not got a lot of time before I have to get moving and I’ve still got a couple of presents to give you” he added, lightly kissing the same spot once more.

Nora shifted a little at the feel of his lips against her skin before she blinked her blue eyes open, peeking up at him sleepily. “You know it is Saturday, right?” she mumbled, snuggling into her pillow slightly.

Gerard, who’d moved to lay back against his own pillow, nodded. “I do” he confirmed gently “But I’ve got to get going in a little while and I thought you’d appreciate me giving you your presents before I left. If you’d rather wait…” he trailed off, flashing her an impish smile.

Nora simply offered him a sleepy glare, something which made him laugh softly before he leant towards the end table, moving to collect the mug of coffee that he had made for her. “I’ve made breakfast too” he noted, holding the mug out towards her.

Nora glanced at it for a second before she gently pushed herself up, taking it out of his hand. “You know, you’re pretty lucky that you’re cute” she mumbled, sipping on her drink.

Gerard offered her a proud smirk before he pushed himself up to his feet, padding across the room towards his wardrobe. Pulling the door open, he quickly moved to take a hold of the gift bag which had been stowed inside before he stepped back towards the bed, settling it down into Nora’s lap. “Happy birthday, Nora” he noted, sparing her a light smile.

Nora, who’d been nibbling on a piece of toast, lifted her eyebrow slightly before she gently dipped her hand into the bag, pulling out the three neatly wrapped parcels which sat inside. “Did you wrap these?” she quipped, sparing Gerard a small playful smile.

Gerard offered her a playful look before he nodded his head. “I did” he confirmed “Aren’t you going to open them?” he prodded gently.

Nora offered him a small nod before she gently took a hold of the first present, lightly peeling off the paper before she let out a soft laugh, her blue eyes admiring the purple Barcelona shirt which sat in her hands. “Really?” she squeaked, peeking up at him softly.

Gerard offered her a boyish smile before he nodded. “It occurred to me that I’d never seen you in one” he noted as he shifted slightly, resting back against his pillow “And I figured that you’d like the purple one a little more than the other one. You should look at the back of it” he added teasingly.

Nora offered him a small look before she flipped the shirt over in her hands, her blue eyes settling on the pink lettering which spelt out his name and number. Admiring it for a second, she rolled her eyes playfully before she offered him a soft smile. “Gracias” she mused softly.

Gerard returned her smile warmly before he gently nudged the larger of the two remaining presents towards her. “Open this one next” he noted softly.

Nora nodded and took it out of his hands, pulling the paper back to reveal the photo frame which sat inside, holding one of her favourite photos of the two of them. Quirking a small smile, she admired the picture for a moment before she lifted her head, her blue eyes mirroring his. “Where’d you get this picture?” she posed softly “I mean, it’s a pretty old one and I’ve not seen it in a while. How’d you end up with it?” she added gently.

“Your madre helped me out” Gerard replied softly “I asked her to find a good picture of the two of us and she bought me this one. You like it?” he asked.

Nora nodded. “It’s one of my favourites” she enthused warmly.

Gerard smiled, mumbling something about it being a relief, before he gently lowered his hand, nudging the last of the presents against her leg. Nora, who’d been admiring the picture which sat in her hand, startled slightly at the feel of the present nudging against her leg before she lowered her hand, gently picking it up before she peeled the paper back, revealing the small box which sat inside. Blinking a couple of times, she stared at it for a moment before she looked up towards Gerard, something which made him laugh softly. “Just open it” he encouraged warmly.

Nora offered him another brief look before she turned her attention back towards the box, flicking it open to reveal a key.

“It’s a key to this place”

Nora startled slightly at the sound of his voice before she lifted her head, something which made him smile softly. “I know we’re in no hurry” he noted softly “And I know that we’re still a way away from even talking about moving in together, let alone actually doing it, but I thought that this would make a pretty good present. It means that you can let yourself in when you want and perhaps it will start getting you used to the idea that maybe one day we’ll be living together” he explained softly.

He knew that he had surprised her, the soft expression that she wore on her face confided it, but he wanted to offer her a little reassurance. He knew that they still had a way to go, four months together was hardly any time at all, and he wanted to ease her into it. They were onto something good and he didn’t want it to stumble because he was attempting to push it too far too fast.

Nora was quiet for a moment, allowing his words to hang in the air, before she quirked a soft smile. “You want me to spend more time here?” she posed, her voice caught between teasing and curious.

Gerard quirked a small smile. “I like having you here” he noted gently “And if it wasn’t for the fact that I’m sure it would scare you, I’d ask you to move in here tomorrow, but I don’t mind putting it off for a while. I’m sure that we’ll get there eventually” he enthused warmly.

Nora smiled at the warmth in his voice before she nodded her head. “Eventually” she teased softly.

Gerard let out a soft laugh before the sound of his phone vibrating reached his ears, causing him to let out a soft sigh. “That’s my cue to get out of here” he mumbled softly.

Nora, who’d moved to pull her hair up into a ponytail, nodded. “Don’t let me hold you up” she quipped, offering him an impish smile.

Gerard rolled his eyes softly before he pushed himself up to his feet, moving to collect his bag before he stepped back towards the bed, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. “Happy birthday, Nora” he enthused, sneaking another couple of light kisses.

Nora smiled into the contact, holding onto him for a moment, before she gently nudged him back. “You should go” she noted “I’m not being blamed for you being late” she added softly.

Gerard spared a soft laugh before he nodded his head. “I’m going” he quipped brightly before he leant into her, sneaking another quick kiss before he ducked out of the room. Nora watched him out of the door for a moment before she shook her head, a soft smile playing at the corner of her mouth. It was still new, the way that things between her and Gerard had changed was still a little unfamiliar, but she liked how things were progressing, even if they were only making little steps forwards, she was more than pleased with how they were doing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)