If You Love Me

Thirty Two: You’ve Never Been Subtle

“Your mother really wants me at her birthday dinner?” Gerard posed from his spot at the foot of the bed, his blue eyes settled on Nora who stood a little away from him, gently pulling the last strands of her blonde hair into place. It had been a surprise, the idea that Maria wanted him as well as Nora at the meal they’d planned to celebrate her birthday had caught him off guard, and he was slightly apprehensive about going, even if he knew that Nora’s mother was fond of him. He was still a little nervous about spending time with her.

Nora, who’d moved to run a brush through her hair, smiled a little at the nervous tone in his voice before she lifted her eyes, peeking at him via the mirror. “She asked me to invite you” she noted softly “But if you’re don’t want to come, then it is fine. I think she knows that you’re still a little nervous around her and she’d understand if you ducked out. I’m not going to make you come with me” she insisted softly.

She knew that he was apprehensive, from the moment that she had bought up the notion of them heading out to dinner with her mother and sister, he had appeared a little shy and nervous, and she wanted to offer him the opportunity to duck out, not wanting him to feel awkward or uncomfortable. It was still a work in progress, despite the fact that they had been dating for a few months, they were still very much in phase where they were getting used to things, and she didn’t want to push him, not wanting him to feel uncomfortable.

Gerard offered her a soft look, quietly contemplating her words, before he shook his head. “She really invited me?” he posed, his voice slightly nervous.

Nora smiled before she stepped towards him, her hands gently taking a hold of his before she offered them a light squeeze. “She did” she confirmed gently “She said that she wants to get to know you a little more and that means spending more time with you” she added, messing with his fingers softly.

Gerard cocked an eyebrow. “She wants to get to know me?” he posed gently.

Nora, who’d been contently messing with his hands, flashed him a light smile before she nodded. “If I have my way, you’re going to be around for a while, and she wants to make the effort with you. She likes you, Geri, she always had done, and she wants to make sure that you feel welcome. You’re not planning on going anywhere any time soon, are you?” she posed, peeking through her eyelashes at him.

Gerard met her stare, his blue eyes searching hers for a moment, before he slotted their fingers together, allowing him to press a warm kiss against the back of her hand. “You can’t get rid of me so easily” he mumbled softly, a light smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Nora returned his smile softly before stepped a little closer to him, pressing a soft kiss against his forehead before she attempted to duck away from him, something Gerard was quick to stop, his arms contently wrapping around her waist. Nora looked down at his arms for a moment before she lightly shook her head, a warm smile pulling at the corner of mouth. “You know we have to get going, right?” she posed softly.

Gerard nodded. “I know that” he confirmed “But we have a couple of minutes and I kind of like hugging you. Would you like me to stop?” he posed, offering her a playful glance.

Nora breathed out a soft laugh before she leant down, sneaking a couple of quick kisses before she gently shuffled out of his arms, musing about them getting moving before they were late. Gerard watched her pad around the room for a couple of seconds, admiring her happily, before he pushed himself up, following her out of the room. He was nervous, the idea of spending time with Maria in particular was something which was going to take him a little while to get used to, but he knew that he couldn’t shy away from it forever.

~#~
“You know, you really didn’t have to clean up. I’d have done it when people had gone home”

Gerard, who’d been wiping over another plate, startled a little at the sound of Maria’s voice before he turned slightly, offering her a small smile over his shoulder. “It’s alright” he noted gently “I mean, it’s your birthday after all and you shouldn’t be left to clear it up” he added shyly as he moved to place the plate down onto the side.

Maria, who’d moved to stop beside him, smiled at the nervousness in his voice before she shook her head. “You didn’t get Nora or Emilia to help you?” she posed, watching him quietly. She could tell that he was nervous, from the moment that he had stepped foot into her house, he had appeared uncertain and shy, and Maria had to admit that she found it slightly amusing, even if she did want him to feel welcome in her home. She kind of liked the idea that he wanted to win her over.

Gerard, who’d moved to wash another plate, shook his head. “Nora started to help, but then Emilia came in with Sofia and she got distracted. She’s still very excited to be an aunt” he enthused, his eyes purposefully avoiding those of the older woman. He knew that he was being silly, for years, Maria had been nothing short of welcoming and warm towards him, but still he felt slightly uncertain, something which wasn’t aided by the fact that he was alone with her.

Maria watched him avoid her eyes before she let out a soft laugh, something which caused Gerard’s cheeks to tint a soft shade of pink. “You can relax, Gerard” she noted gently “You’ve got nothing to be worried about” she teased, nudging his shoulder softly.

Gerard shook his head. “I know that” he noted gently “I mean, you and Emmy, you’ve never been anything other than warm and welcoming to me, but…”

“But before, I wasn’t your girlfriend’s mama” Maria interjected, a knowing smile on her face.

Gerard blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by her interruption, before he nodded his head, offering her a sheepish smile.

Maria admired his smile before she shook her head slightly. “I get why you’re worried” she noted softly “I mean, I was the same when I was around my mother-in-law in particular, but you can relax, Gerard. I’ve not seen my little girl this happy in a long time and I know that that is on you, and as long as that remains the case, you’ve not got a thing to be worried about. Nora…she’s in love with you, and as long as she’s happy, you’re more than welcome here” she insisted softly.

Gerard was quiet for a moment, allowing her words to hang in the air, before he quirked a soft smile. “I love her too, Maria” he noted gently.

Maria nodded. “I know you do” she quipped “Nora might have been oblivious for a while, but the rest of us weren’t. You’ve never been the most subtle” she added, flashing him a teasing smile.

Gerard let out a small laugh, a sound which made Maria look up at him, her expression softening slightly. “I don’t want to stick my nose in” she noted gently “I mean, you and Nora, whatever happens between you, it’s your business, but Gerard…”

“I can only promise to do my best, Maria” Gerard interrupted softly “I can’t promise that things will be perfect, but I can promise to give it my best shot. I don’t want to hurt her” he insisted kindly.

Maria nodded her head softly, quietly mulling over his words, before she stepped towards him, wrapping him in a quick hug. “I like you, Gerard” she noted softly “I think you’re likely to be the best thing that happens to her for a while, and I want you to know it. You make her happy, happier than I’ve seen her in a long time, and I want you to keep it up. Make her happy” she added as she stepped back, offering him a warm motherly smile.

Gerard nodded his head. “I’ll give it my best shot” he enthused softly.

Maria flashed him another smile before she stepped out of the room, passing Nora who had Sofia cuddled into her arms. Gerard watched the blonde back into the room before he quirked a small smile, wordlessly promising that he would attempt to keep his word to Maria.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)