If You Love Me

Thirty Seven: There’s Always Next Year

Gently running her fingers through her hair, Nora let out a gentle sigh, her head softly resting back against the couch cushion which sat behind her as she attempted to stifle the unsettled feeling which twitched in her stomach. It had been fleeting, on more than one occasion, she hadn’t quite felt herself, but she wasn’t concerned, even if the feeling had been a little more prevalent than usual, it wasn’t unusual for her to feel a little off in the run up to her time of the month.

Taking in a deep breath, she squeezed her eyes closed for a couple of seconds before the sound of the front door opening and closing reached her ears, causing her to blink her eyes open, settling them on Gerard who stood in the doorway, a slightly quizzical look on his face. “Am I interrupting something?” he posed softly.

Nora, who’d moved to sit up slightly, shook her head. “You’re not” she mumbled softly “I was just trying to stop myself from feeling sick. To what do I owe the pleasure?” she posed, gently pulling her hair up into a loose ponytail.

Gerard wrinkled his nose slightly, not missing her comment about feeling unwell, before he shook his head. “I came to pick you up” he noted “We were invited to a New Year’s Eve party, remember?” he posed.

Nora frowned a little, something which made Gerard chuckle softly as he sat down beside her. “You forgot?” he poked playfully.

Nora shook her head. “I’m sorry” she murmured softly “I’ve not felt like myself all day and I guess it slipped my mind. Give me 10 minutes and I will be ready to go” she noted as she pushed herself up to her feet.

Gerard watched her stand up before he shifted his hand, wrapping it lightly around her wrist. Nora startled, not expecting his touch, before she turned around, her eyebrow lifted curiously. “What are you doing?” she posed softly.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he settled his hands on her hips, gently tugging her a little closer to him. “You’re not feeling well?” he posed softly, the pad of his thumb tracing light circles into her hip.

Nora shook her head softly. “I’ve not felt great all day” she confirmed gently “But it’s fine. If you give me a few minutes, I can get dressed and then we can go” she insisted softly.

Gerard smiled a little at her words before he shook his head. “We could do that” he noted softly “Or, I could find a takeout menu, you could find a few movies, and we could see in the New Year, just the two of us” he suggested impishly.

Nora tilted her head. “What?” she posed softly.

Gerard shrugged. “You’re not feeling well” he noted gently “And I don’t want to drag you along to some party if you’re not feeling up to it. If you’d rather, we can just stay here” he insisted softly. He knew that she wasn’t feeling right, the look on her face when he had stepped into the room had confided it, and he wanted to offer her the opportunity to duck out of the party, even if he had promised that they’d make an appearance. He wanted her to feel as comfortable and content as she could.

Nora offered him a soft look. “You’d not mind that?” she posed softly “Because if you’d rather go…”

“I wouldn’t have offered if I minded” Gerard interrupted, offering her a warm smile.

Nora glanced at him once more before she quirked a small smile. “You’re a pretty great boyfriend, you know that?” she posed softly.

Gerard shrugged. “I try” he quipped nonchalantly.

Nora shook her head at his response before she leant into him, sneaking a quick kiss before she ducked away. “I’m going to go and get changed into my pajamas” she murmured between soft kisses “Do you want to find the menus?” she posed, gently brushing her fingers through his hair.

Gerard smiled a little at her touch before he lifted his hand, capturing her wrist so that he could press a light kiss against her palm. “I’m sure I can handle that” he teased softly.

Nora rolled her eyes playfully before she stepped away from him, ducking out of the room. Gerard watched her out of the door before he quirked a small smile, more than happy with the dynamics which existed between them. He had been a little worried, after they’d hit their first bump, he had been slightly concerned that things would stutter more than they had, but he was pleased that they hadn’t, even if things weren’t moving quite as quickly as he wanted them to. He liked what they had going on.

~#~
“How were you planning on making it to midnight if we had gone out tonight?”

Gerard, who was dozing happily on the couch, startled a little at the sound of Nora’s voice, something which made the blonde woman giggle softly. It had been a quiet night, after they’d agreed to stay in, they’d spent the evening curled up on the couch ahead of a few films, and Nora was pleased that they had done it, even if she felt slightly bad about ducking out of the party. She had enjoyed having a quiet night in with her boyfriend.

“Huh?” he spluttered softly.

Nora quirked a small smile before she shook her head. “It’s nearly midnight” she noted softly “And I thought I’d wake you up. Do you think you can hold out until then before you fall asleep again?” she posed impishly.

Gerard, who’d been trying to wake himself up, offered her a small sleepy glare before he shook his head, spilling a yawn into his hand. “How are you feeling?” he posed softly.

Nora, who was busy clearing the coffee table, shrugged softly. “I feel a little better” she noted softly “I mean, it’s not unusual for me to be a little nauseous and it’s not unusual that it passes quickly. I’m just sorry for ruining your plans” she added softly.

Gerard shook his head. “There’s always next year” he noted with a soft smile.

Nora spared him a soft look, something which made Gerard roll his eyes playfully before he reached out for her, gently guiding her into the spot at his side. Nora followed his lead and sat down beside him, comfortably tucking herself into his side as she flicked her attention towards the television, watching as the countdown towards the New Year started.

Shuffling a little closer to him, she rested her head against his shoulder, something which caused Gerard to lean down, pressing a light kiss against the top of her head. “You know, I think we should make this a tradition” he mumbled softly.

Nora lifted an eyebrow. “You do?” she posed softly.

Gerard nodded. “I like it” he mused “Just the two of us. It’s been a pretty good night” he enthused.

Nora quirked a small smirk, like she had thought of an amusing retort, but she opted against saying anything, instead pressing a soft kiss against his lips. Gerard smiled into the soft contact, kissing her happily for a few seconds, before the sound of cheering emanated away from the television, something which caused him to pull back slightly. “Happy new year, Nora” he mumbled softly, his nose lightly brushing against hers.

Nora smiled warmly before she stole another light kiss. “Happy new year, Gerard” she enthused softly.

Gerard brushed his nose lightly against hers before he pressed a kiss to her lips, something which made Nora’s smile widen a little. Kissing him happily, she lightly brushed her fingers over his before she knotted them together, wordlessly hoping that the year ahead of them would be a good one for them both.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)