If You Love Me

Thirty Nine: Positive

Running a brush through her hair, Nora squeezed her eyes closed, trying to stifle the nauseous sensation which washed over her. The previous day had been a long day, with the positive results etched into her mind, she had spent a lot of time thinking and fretting, but still she didn’t quite know what to make of the idea that she was pregnant, even if she had had an inkling for a few days. She didn’t quite know how to react.

Finishing brushing her hair, she gently moved to pull it up into a loose ponytail before she stepped towards the wardrobe, quickly locating a clean shirt. Pulling her top over her head, she tossed it into the laundry basket before she caught a sight of herself in the mirror, her blue eyes drifting softly down towards her stomach.

Shaking her head, she admired the reflection quietly for a moment before she lifted her hand, resting it against her warm skin. It still felt unfamiliar, the idea that she was pregnant still hadn’t quite settled in, but she knew that she couldn’t ignore it, even if it did make her slightly nervous, she knew that it was something that she couldn’t shy away from.

Gently brushing her thumb over her stomach, she admired the reflection for a couple more seconds before the sound of the front door opening and closing reached her, causing her to startle slightly before she collected her shirt, pulling it over her head as she ducked out of her bedroom. Padding towards the kitchen, she took in a soft breath, before she stepped into the room, her eyes settling on Gerard who stood ahead of, collecting two plates from the cupboard.

“You know” she quipped softly “I miss the days when you used to knock before you walked in here” she teased softly, forcing the best smile she could muster onto her lips.

Gerard, who’d moved to place two plates down onto the kitchen counter, quirked a grin at the sound of her voice before he turned around, shaking his head slightly. “You’re the one who gave me a key” he quipped “Besides, this morning, I come baring gifts. You have some time for breakfast, don’t you?” he posed, gesturing towards the bag which sat on the counter.

Nora spared a small look towards the bag, briefly contemplating ducking out, before she forced a soft smile on her face. “I’ve got a little time” she noted softly “But I am slightly surprised to see you so early. I thought I’d at least have to wait until tonight” she added as she stepped towards the counter, taking her seat.

Gerard, who’d moved to serve up the food, shrugged slightly. “I was up” he noted softly “And I thought I’d come over and check on you. You still weren’t too well when I left yesterday and I figured I’d come over and see if you were doing alright. How are you feeling?” he posed softly, placing her plate down in front of her.

Nora stilled slightly at his question, something which caused Gerard to lift an eyebrow. “Nora?” he pressed softly “Nena, are you OK?” he posed.

Nora paused for a moment, quietly mulling over his question, before she lightly shook her head. “I…I need to talk to you” she murmured softly.

Gerard frowned at the tone of her voice before he sat down in the chair beside her, his hand quickly moving to take a hold of hers. “What do you need to talk to me about?” he posed softly, his fingers brushing hers comfortingly. He could see that there was something on her mind, the way that her smile didn’t quite reach her eyes had confided it from the moment that she had walked into room, but he didn’t want to push her, not wanting her to clam up.

Nora watched the movement of his fingers for a couple of seconds before she shook her head softly, something which made Gerard duck forwards, pressing a light kiss against the top of her head. “Come on, Nora” he murmured softly “You know that you can talk to me about whatever you need to. So, what’s going on in here?” he posed, lightly prodding her forehead with his finger.

Nora spared him a gentle look before she gently pushed herself up to her feet. “Wait here” she murmured softly before she ducked out of the room.

Gerard frowned, more than a little confused, before he pushed himself up to his feet, quickly following her towards her bedroom. “Nora” he noted “What is going on?” he pressed, his tone more than slightly confused.

Nora, who was sat down on the edge of her bed, flinched at the sound of his voice before she quietly lifted her head, her blue eyes peeking up at him softly. “I…I need to show you something” she murmured softly, her fingers messing shyly with the tissue which sat in her hands.

Gerard spared her a small glance before he sat down at her side, something which caused Nora to sigh softly. “You know that I’ve not been very well?” she murmured, her eyes briefly looking up at him.

“You know what, I had noticed that” he quipped, a faint smile on his lips.

Nora let out a soft laugh before she shook her head. “I thought it would pass” she noted softly “I mean, it’s not the first time that I’ve felt a little nauseous around this time, but it lasted longer than normal and I know why” she added gently.

Gerard tilted his head. “You do?” he posed softly.

Nora nodded her head gently before she lifted her hand, placing the tissue down into his hand. Gerard frowned slightly before he gently opened the tissue, his blue eyes widening at the sight of the two pregnancy tests which sat inside. “Nora” he breathed softly.

“They’re positive” Nora breathed softly “Gerard, I’m…I’m pregnant” she added, her voice shaking slightly.

Gerard, who’d not moved his eyes away from the tests, allowed her words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before he turned. “You…You’re pregnant?” he murmured, the tone of his voice hard to place.

Nora shifted a little before she nodded her head. “I’ve got an appointment with my doctor in a couple of days to confirm it, but I am pretty sure that I am” she babbled softly as she pulled at a loose thread on the duvet.

Gerard simply nodded his head, something which made Nora shake hers. “I need you to say something, Gerard” she murmured quietly “I mean, I know that it’s a lot to take in, but I need you to give me some sort of indication about…” Nora’s words trailed off as Gerard ducked into her, pressing a strong kiss against her lips. Nora startled, not expecting the soft kiss, before she ducked back, her forehead furrowed.

Gerard smiled at the expression which had appeared on her face before he lifted his hand, cupping her cheek softly. “You’re pregnant?” he repeated, his thumb softly tracing along her cheekbone “You’re going to have a baby? Our baby?” he added gently.

Nora noticed the soft sound of excitement in his voice before she nodded her head softly. “I am” she confirmed softly, a faint smile on her face.

Gerard breathed out a small laugh, in awe of her words, before he leant towards her, pressing a kiss against her forehead, cheeks and nose before he met her lips briefly. “You’re pregnant” he repeated again, failing to stifle the bright grin which itched to spread across his face.

Nora admired his smile for a moment before she shook her head gently, moving to pull him into a soft hug that he was more than happy to return. He knew that it was early, and from the look on Nora’s face, he knew that it was something which was playing on her mind, but he wanted to enjoy the moment, even if he knew that he and Nora did need to talk. He simply wanted to enjoy the moment that she told him that they were expecting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)