If You Love Me

Forty One: It’s Not What I Need Right Now

Tapping her pen against the desk, Nora rested her head back against her chair, trying to swallow the small lump which had appeared in her throat. It was frequent, with her pregnancy likely to be in its early stages, bouts of nausea seemed to be common, and whilst it irked Nora slightly, she knew that it was something that she merely had to handle for a while. Closing her eyes, she took in a couple of deep breaths, trying to settle her stomach slightly, before she tilted her head forwards, refocusing her attention on the laptop which stood ahead her.

Staring at the screen for a moment, she attempted to swallow the urge to throw up before she quietly shook her head, quickly making her way towards the bathroom which adjoined her office before she threw up.

“Nora?”

Nora, who’d moved to rest against the wall of the bathroom, startled a little at the sound of the voice before she quietly lifted her head, her blue eyes settling on Gerard who stood in the doorway, a concerned expression on his face. “Are you alright?” he posed softly.

Nora blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised to see him, before she nodded her head. “It’s nothing new” she murmured softly “I mean, morning sickness is no fun but I don’t think it’s going anywhere for a little while. It appears that your baby doesn’t want to take it easy on their mama” she added, flashing him a soft smile. It still felt a little strange, even despite a few days having passed, the idea that she was pregnant still hadn’t quite settled in, but she had little doubt that she would get used to it, even if it was likely to take a little time. She was sure that she’d get used to it eventually.

Gerard smiled at the small reference to the baby, something which made Nora shake her head softly before she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to splash a little cool water over her face. “Did you just come here to check up on me?” she posed, brushing her hair through with her fingers.

Gerard watched her, admiring her for a moment, before he shook his head. “I was in the area” he noted softly “And I figured, seeing as we have our first midwife appointment this afternoon, I’d drop by and offer to take you to lunch, you know, if you’re feeling up to it” he babbled softly. It wasn’t a whole lie, he had been in the area, but a small part of him did want to make sure that she was alright, even if it was slightly overprotective, he wanted to make sure that she was doing Ok.

“You were in the area?” Nora quipped, her eyebrow lifted slightly.

Gerard nodded. “I was” he confirmed gently.

Nora offered him another slightly dubious look, her blue eyes searching his face, before she shook her head slightly, a small smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “You’re going to be like this until the baby is born, aren’t you?” she posed, her voice caught between amused and curious. It wasn’t the first time, in the few days that had passed since they’d discovered that she was expecting, he had been a little overprotective, and whilst a small part of her found it sweet, she wanted him to back off slightly, not wanting to let on that something had changed between them

Gerard spared her a soft look, something which made Nora smile lightly before she stepped towards him, pecking his lips lightly. “You’re sweet for worrying” she mused softly “But right now, it’s not what I need. It’s still new and for a little while I just want to relax and let the news settle in before we tell other people and they all start fussing. Do you think we could do that?” she posed, lightly brushing her fingers through his hair.

Gerard leant up slightly, pressing a soft kiss against her palm, before he nodded his head. “I should think so” he murmured softly “I’m just…I’m excited, Nora” he babbled softly.

Nora smiled at him softly, mumbling that she knew he was, before she pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. She knew that he was excited, from the moment that he had set eyes on the two pregnancy tests, she had seen it on his face, and she was pleased that he was, even if she did want him to calm down slightly. A small part of her had been slightly worried that he’d not take the news as well as he had.

~#~
“You look nervous”

Nora, who’d been quietly messing around with her phone, jumped at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she shook her head, offering him a feeble smile. “I know there’s probably nothing to be worried about” she murmured softly “But until I hear the midwife say it, I think I am going to worry a little” she added softly.

Gerard nodded his head gently before he stretched his hand out, encouraging her to take it. Nora eyed it briefly before she settled her smaller hand into his, allowing him to squeeze it softly. “It’s going to be fine” he enthused softly, his thumb lightly brushing over the back of her hand.

Nora opened her mouth to respond, but stopped herself as the sound of footsteps reached them, causing her to look up at the woman who stood ahead of them, a friendly grin perched on her lips. “You’re Nora Hernandez, aren’t you?” she posed softly.

“I am” Nora confirmed with a small nervous smile.

“Well, hola, Nora” the woman greeted softly “My name is Lucia and I am going to be the one who’s going to perform your ultrasound today. Do you want to follow me?” she posed, her voice warm and reassuring.

Nora offered her another small smile before she nodded her head, quietly following after the midwife who led them towards a small room. “Your doctor explained what we’re going to be doing today?” Lucia posed as she offered Nora a spot on the examination bed.

“She did” Nora confirmed softly.

Lucia, who’d moved to set up the ultrasound, nodded. “I’ve looked over the blood tests that you were referred for” she noted softly “And I am pleased with the results. You’re going to have to go for more, just to keep a track of things throughout the pregnancy, but I am happy with how things look. This is your first?” she posed, sparing a brief glance towards Gerard who’d settled in a seat at Nora’s side.

Gerard quirked a small smile before he nodded. “It is” he enthused warmly.

Lucia smiled at the warmth in his voice before she flicked her attention back to Nora, gently moving to scoot her shirt up slightly. “This is going to be a little cool” she mused softly before she squirted a small amount of gel onto Nora’s stomach.

Nora squeezed her eyes closed at the contact, something which made Gerard laugh quietly before he squeezed her hand, mumbling soft reassurances into her ear.

“If you look just here” Lucia mused softly, pulling the couple apart “You’ll see your baby. It’s look like you’re about six weeks along, Nora” she added gently.

Nora, who’d flicked her attention towards the screen, nodded her head vaguely, something which made the midwife smile softly. “I’ll give you a minute” she mused gently before she stepped out of the room, leaving couple staring in awe at the screen.

Gerard, who’d vaguely watched the midwife out of the room, flicked his attention back towards the screen, gazing at the image. It was only small, the shape which filled the screen seemed so tiny, but he was in awe of it, a sensation he was sure would last for a while. Admiring the image, he quirked a soft smile before he turned his attention towards Nora, not missing the watery smile which she wore.

Allowing an awed laugh to fall out of his mouth, he leant towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips before he ducked back, resting his forehead against hers. He knew that they still had a way to go, with Nora only being six weeks in, they still had a while before the baby arrived, but already he was counting down the days.