If You Love Me

Fifty Two: Worth The Wait

“Are you sure that you don’t mind me ducking out for a couple of hours?” Gerard asked as he rested against the frame of the bathroom door, his eyes settled on Nora who stood ahead of the mirror, running a brush through her blonde hair. It had been a while, after they’d settled on a name for the baby, a few weeks had passed, and with Nora’s due date only a few days, Gerard was slightly on edge, more than slightly excited by the idea that there were only a few days between them and their little girl making her first appearance.

Nora, who’d moved to pull her hair up into a loose ponytail, shook her head. “I’m sure that I can cope without you for a couple of hours” she noted, smiling at him impishly via the mirror.

Gerard rolled his eyes slightly before he stepped a little further into the room, his arms settling around her waist. “I don’t have to go” he mumbled, pressing a soft kiss against the side of her neck “I mean, it’s just dinner with the guys. I could easily cancel” he added, gently kissing her jaw.

Nora closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of his lips against her skin, before she shook her head. “It’s up to you” she mused “But, I am sure that I will be OK if you do go” she added as she opened her eyes, peeking up at him softly. It wasn’t unusual, with her due date approaching quickly, Gerard had appeared more protective than usual, and whilst he had developed a habit of getting under her feet, she had to admit that she found his fussing more than a little sweet.

Gerard held her stare for a moment, his blue eyes searching hers, before he shook his head. “I should cancel” he mumbled, resting his forehead against hers.

Nora quirked a small smile before she lightly pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a brisk kiss against his lips, something which caused Gerard to wrap his arm around her, holding her against him before he leant down, pressing another kiss against her lips. Nora stilled briefly, slightly surprised by the second kiss, but she quickly grew into it, kissing him happily for a few seconds before she felt a sharp pain in her stomach, causing her to pull away suddenly.

Gerard blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sudden movement, before he tilted his head. “Nora?” he posed “Are you alright?” he added, not missing the frown which had appeared at the corner of her mouth.

Nora, who’d flicked her attention down towards her stomach, was quiet for a few moments before she shook her head. “It’s not the first one” she mumbled quietly “I mean, I’ve had a few pains throughout the day, but that was by far the worst one” she babbled, her hand gently rubbing her bump.

“What are you talking about?” Gerard pressed, his forehead furrowed.

Nora spared him a soft look before she gently took a hold of his hand, settling it against her bump. “I think…I think I am having contractions” she noted softly “I mean, I’ve had a pains throughout the day, but they’re starting to get worse and I think that that means that little Alba is on her way” she added, her thumb lightly brushing over the back of his hand.

Gerard watched the movement of her thumb over his hand, allowing her words to hang around them for a moment, before he lifted his head, peeking up at her softly. “You…you think that she’s coming?” he breathed shakily.

Nora quirked a shy smile, not missing the nervousness in his voice, before she nodded her head gently. “I do” she confirmed “I mean, I think we’ve still got a while, my waters still haven’t broken yet, but I think that these pains mean that she’s coming” she added.

Gerard merely nodded his head, something which made Nora smile before she lightly placed her hand against cheek, tilting his head up slightly so that his blue eyes mirrored hers. “You OK?” she posed.

Gerard admired the smile on her lips briefly before he nodded his head. “I…I think so” he murmured “I just…I can’t quite believe that she’s on her way. We’re going to have a baby, Nora” he breathed. It felt slightly surreal, the idea that their little girl was on her way, and Gerard was sure that it would take him a while to get his head around it, even if he had been counting down the days until her first appearance, the idea that it had arrived felt more than a little strange.

Nora giggled softly, amused by the awe in his voice, before she shook her head. “You’re just figuring that out?” she teased playfully as she stepped away from him, musing about getting things ready for when they needed to depart for the hospital. Gerard rolled his eyes a little at her comment before he shook his head, a small smile on his lips. He knew that it wouldn’t be quick, both his mother and Nora’s had warned him that a first time labour could run on for a while, but still he was excited, even if he did more than likely have a few more hours to wait. He couldn’t wait to meet their little girl for the first time.

~#~
“You need to keep pushing, Nora” Lucia fussed as she looked up at the blonde woman, trying to guide her through her latest contraction. It had been a while, after she had informed Gerard that she was having contractions, they’d spent a few hours at home before Nora’s waters had broken, but still the little girl hadn’t arrived, something which frustrated Gerard who’d grown to hate the sight of Nora in pain. He knew that it was a slow process, since they had arrived at the hospital, both Lucia and Nora had insisted that the baby would arrive when she was ready, but still he wanted it to hurry along.

Nora, who’d moved to rest back against her pillow, shook her head. “I can’t do it” she protested tearfully.

Gerard, who was stood at her side, offered her hand a soft squeeze. “Of course you can” he insisted “You’re doing so well, nena and I am so proud of you. You just need to keep going for a little longer and then we will have our baby” he fussed, his voice warm and encouraging.

Nora offered him tearful look, briefly contemplating protesting again, before she felt another contract build, causing her to let out a groan as she pushed.

“Come on, Nora” Lucia encouraged warmly “Push with everything you have. Keep going” she added.

Nora let out a shout, pushing with everything she had for a few seconds, before she fell back against her pillows, allowing the room to fall quiet briefly before the sound of a small crackly cry filled it. Gerard, who’d been fussing over Nora, stilled at the sound before he lifted his head, flicking his attention towards Lucia who held a small bundle in her arms. Spluttering out a sound, he blinked a few times before he flicked his attention back towards Nora, a watery smile on his face. “Nora” he breathed “Nora, she’s here” he spluttered.

Lucia, who’d moved to wrap the baby in towel, smiled at the awe in the defender’s voice. “Congratulations” she breathed “You two are now parents to a beautiful little girl” she enthused as she stepped around bed.

Gerard spluttered a little at the words before he shook his head. “Is she OK?” he asked.

Lucia nodded. “She’s fine” she insisted “I’ll need to do a few checks on her later, but right now, I think she’s probably looking forwards to meeting her mama” she added.

Nora, who’d been trying to catch her breath, adjusted herself slightly in her seat before she carefully offered her arms out, allowing Lucia to place the baby into them. Gently shifting her arms, she made sure that the baby was comfortable before she shook her head, a soft sniffle falling out of her mouth. “Gerard” she breathed “We have a baby” she added, peeking up at him tearfully.

Gerard, who’d not shifted his stare away from the baby, spared a snuffly laugh before he nodded his head. “We do” he agreed “And she’s wonderful, Nora, perfect” he fussed, brushing the towel away from the baby’s face.

Nora smiled gently at his words before she leant down, pressing a light kiss against the top of the baby’s head.

Gerard admired her action before he mimicked it, pressing a soft kiss against the baby’s head. “Hola, Alba” he breathed “We’ve waited a long time for you to come along” he added, brushing her tiny hand with his finger. Nora smiled at the small interaction before she leant into his side slightly, wanting to enjoy the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)