If You Love Me

Fifty Eight: It’s Too Soon

Stretching her arms above her head, Nora let out a soft yawn, her blue eyes settled on Alba who was settled in Moses basket beside her, staring around the room quietly. It was early, with Alba having woken up for a feed a little before six in the morning, Nora had been quick to climb out of bed in order to take care of her, but she had opted against going back up, not wanting to disturb Gerard who had still been sleeping soundly when she had stepped out of the room.

It had been a few days, after she had walked in on her mother and Gerard talking, almost a week had passed, but still things felt slightly off with Gerard, something which worried Nora slightly. She knew that there was something on his mind, from the moment that her mother had left them that day, he had appeared preoccupied, and it worried Nora that he wouldn’t tell her what was bothering him, even if he had insisted that it was nothing to be concerned about, she was worried that there was something he was keeping from her.

Running a hand through her blonde hair, she gathered it into a loose ponytail before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to turn her head, her staring landing on Gerard who stood in the doorway, a sleepy grin on his face. “I was starting to wonder where the two of you had gotten to” he quipped “How long’ve you been down here?” he added as he stepped further into the room, plopping down onto the couch beside her before he ducked forwards, mumbling a soft good morning to Alba.

Nora watched him for a second, still a little in awe of how sweet he and Alba were together, before she shook her head. “She woke up a little before six” she replied “And you were still asleep, so I opted to stay down here. What are you doing up?” she posed, looking up at him gently.

Gerard shrugged. “I woke up” he noted simply.

Nora nodded her head. “Well, buenos dias” she greeted, offering him a small smile.

Gerard let out a quiet laugh before he leant towards her, pecking her lips a couple of times. “Buenos dias” he teased impishly.

Nora giggled gently before Alba let out a small sound, pulling the attention of her parents down towards her. “I think someone would like to see her papa” Nora quipped, gently lifting the little girl up into her arms.

Gerard quirked a small smile before he leant towards Nora, gently lifting the little girl out of her arms and into his.

Nora watched the two of them together for a couple of seconds before a soft yawn fell out of her mouth, something which caused Gerard to spare her a sideward look, a grin on his lips. “You know” he noted “It’s still pretty early and if you wanted to duck upstairs for a little more sleep or bath or something, I am pretty sure that Alba and I could cope with it. I’ve still got a couple of hours before I need to leave” he added kindly.

“You’d not mind?” Nora asked.

“Of course not” Gerard insisted “Besides, aren’t Leo and Antonella visiting this afternoon? I doubt you’re going to get much of a chance to nap later” he added, carefully adjusting Alba so that she was a little more comfortable in his arms.

Nora spared him a soft look, briefly mulling over his words, before she offered him a small smile. “Gracias” she mused as she pushed herself up to his feet.

Gerard shook his head, noting that she didn’t have to thank him, before he tilted his head back, allowing Nora to press a couple of brisk kisses against his lips before she ducked up the stairs. Gerard watched her go for a moment before he turned his attention towards Alba, offering her a soft smile. It felt a little tense, after he’d convinced Nora to stop asking him what was on his mind, there had been a small amount of tension between them, but he was pleased that it was minimal, not wanting there to be more of a problem between the two of them.

~#~
“I still can’t quite believe that you and Gerard got together, let alone that you have a baby together, Nora” Antonella mused as she settled down on the couch, Alba contently settled in her arms. It had been a quiet afternoon, with Lionel and Antonella keen to meet the new addition, Nora had been quick to invite them to lunch, and she was pleased that she had, even if the house had been hectic in the week that had passed since Alba’s arrival, she was pleased to see her friends.

Nora, who was folding a few of Alba’s clothes, shook her head. “It did feel pretty strange at first” she agreed “But I think we’re getting there. Gerard’s a natural with her” she added, a warm smile on her lips.

Antonella admired the warm smile on her lips before she shook her head, one of her own appearing on her face. “You look made up” she enthused warmly “I mean, we’ve known each other for a long time and I don’t think I have seen you smile so much. Are things really that good?” she fussed. She was happy for Nora, for a while, it had looked as though she and Gerard would avoid the elephant in the room until it was too late, but she was pleased that they’d figured things out. Nora looked happy, happier than Antonella could recall seeing her, and she had little doubt that a lot of it was due to the defender, and to the little girl who’d just arrived.

Nora messed with the sleepsuit which sat in her hand for a moment, something which caused Antonella to lift an eyebrow. “Nora?” she pressed.

Nora shook her head. “It’s nothing” she dismissed.

Antonella offered her a dubious look before she shuffled a little closer, nudging Nora’s shin with her foot. “You can talk to me” she noted “If you need someone, that is” she added, a kind smile on her face.

Nora hesitated briefly, checking to see if either Lionel or Gerard had made their way into the house from the garden, before she shook her head. “Things are good” she insisted “Me and Gerard, we’re doing well and we both adore having Alba around, but there’s something on his mind and he won’t tell me what it is. I walked in on him and my madre talking a few days ago, and since then, he’s been a little preoccupied and it worries me, even if I am just being silly. He says that it is nothing to worry about, but if that were true, why wouldn’t he just say it?” she posed, chewing on her lip shyly.

Antonella stared at her, trying to keep pace with her words, before she shook her head. “You’re worried?” she posed.

“A little” Nora confirmed “I mean, it probably is nothing, and I am probably worrying for no reason, but it just gets at me. It’s on his mind and I thought that he’d know by now that he can tell me anything” she added, her cheeks tinting a soft shade of pink. She knew that she was likely worrying over nothing, Gerard didn’t tend to keep the big things from her, but she couldn’t shake it, even if he had insisted more than once that it wasn’t something to be concerned over.

Antonella allowed her words to hang in the air briefly before she shook her head, opening her to reply only for Alba to cut her off, letting out a soft cry. “I think it is about time that she had another feed” Nora mused before she stepped towards her friend, gently lifting Alba into her arms before she ducked up the stairs.

Antonella watched her out of the room before the sound of footsteps reached her ears, causing her to turn her head, watching as Lionel and Gerard stepped into the room.

Gerard scanned the room briefly before he tilted his head. “Where are Nora and Alba?” he posed.

“Nora took Alba upstairs” Antonella replied, her voice slightly curt.

Gerard, who’d moved to take a seat on the couch, lifted an eyebrow, slightly surprised by the tone of her voice. “Is everything alright?” he posed.

Antonella spared him a look before she let out a soft sigh. “Nora is worried” she revealed gently.

Gerard frowned. “She is?” he posed.

Antonella nodded. “She said something about you talking with her mother and that you won’t talk to her about it. She thinks you’re hiding something from her and she’s worried” she explained.

Gerard mulled her words over before he let out a sigh. “I’m not” he noted “Her mother, she asked me if I planned on asking Nora a certain question, and I thought it was best that I didn’t mention it. It’s too soon and I don’t want to freak her out unnecessarily” he added, his expression soft and honest.

Antonella nodded her head briefly before she leant over, patting his shoulder gently. “You have to talk to her” she noted “You can’t avoid it, and if you do, I worry things will get worse between you” she added. She knew why he worried, Nora had form for worrying over nothing, but he couldn’t avoid talking to her, even if he was concerned about her reaction. It was something they simply had to talk about.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)