If You Love Me

Sixty Four: Do You See Why I’m Nervous?

Stretching his neck slightly, Gerard allowed a soft yawn to fall out of his mouth, his blue eyes peeking sleepily towards the clock which sat on the wall a little away from him, informing him that it was still early. It wasn’t unusual, with Alba still not sleeping through the night, both he and Nora had grown used to a slightly erratic sleeping pattern, and whilst a small part of him was tempted to head back to bed, he had opted against it, not wanting to disturb Nora any earlier than was necessary.

He doubted that it would be long before she woke up, with it being Alba’s first Christmas, he had little doubt that she would wake up early, but he didn’t want to disturb her too soon, wanting to afford her the opportunity to relax before their families descended on them.

Allowing another yawn to slip out of his mouth, he rested his head back against the pillow of the couch for a few seconds before the sound of Alba’s cries reached his ears, causing him sigh gently before he moved to push himself up to his feet.

“You’re Ok”

Gerard, who’d moved to pad into the hall, startled at the sound of Nora’s voice before he lifted his head, looking up towards the stairs where she stood, Alba settled in her arms. “I’ve got her” she added, flashing him a small smile.

Gerard blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by the sight of her, before he shook his head, a faint smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. “I would have gotten her” he noted “You didn’t have to wake up. It is still pretty early and we’ve still got some time before people start to show up. I am sure that I could have handled it” he added warmly.

Nora smiled a little at the tone of his voice before she shook her head, moving to settle Alba into his arms. “I know” she replied “But I was awake anyway and I thought I’d check on her before I came down to see where you’d gotten to. Are you not happy to see the two of us?” she added teasingly.

Gerard, who’d moved to fuss over Alba, rolled his eyes softly before he stepped towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. “You know that I am” he mumbled “I mean, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I do kind of like having the two of you around” he added quietly.

Nora’s cheeks tinted a soft shade of pink at his words before she gently leant into him, sneaking another quick kiss before she ducked back, softly resting her forehead against his. “Feliz Navidad, mi amor” she murmured, her fingers lightly brushing through his dark hair.

Gerard, who’d closed his eyes at the feel of her fingers, quirked a small smile at her words before he leant forwards, kissing her softly for a moment before Alba let out a small noise, causing her mother and father to pull apart. “I think someone is looking for some breakfast” Nora murmured, her fingers lightly smoothing out the pajamas that Alba wore.

Gerard watched the small interaction for a moment before he nodded his head, moving to extend his spare hand out towards Nora. “I think that breakfast sounds like a good idea” he mused “We’ve got some time before our families are due to start showing up, so why don’t we make some and open a few presents before they show up?” he posed, gently knotting their fingers together.

Nora flashed him a small smile before she nodded her head, musing that it sounded like a plan before she stepped away from him, heading towards the kitchen. Gerard watched her go for a moment, ensuring that she was out of earshot, before he flicked his attention towards Alba, offering her a soft smile. “You know” he mumbled “I’m going to ask your mama something today very important today and I am hoping that it goes well. Do you think she’ll say yes?” he posed, lightly tickling her stomach.

Alba shifted at the feel of his fingers before she let out a small laugh, something which made him shake his head before he leant down, kissing the top of hers. “I am taking that as a yes, you know” he quipped to himself.

~#~
Pulling the material of his jacket a little more around his body, Gerard spared a small yawn into his hand, enjoying the quiet of the garden which sat around him. It had been a hectic day, with both his and Nora’s families and wanting to make a fuss of Alba’s first Christmas, the house had been busier and louder than he was used to, and whilst he was pleased that things seemed to be going well, he had opted to duck out for a moment, wanting to enjoy a moment of quiet before they sat down to dinner.

Enjoying the quiet for a moment, he allowed his eyes to close briefly before the sound of the sliding door opening and closing reached him, causing him to let out a muted sigh before he looked up, spotting Nora who stood a little away from him. “Do you need me for something?” he posed.

Nora, who’d been fiddling with the zip of her jacket, jumped at the sound of his voice before she shook her head. “No” she noted “I was just coming out to see if you were alright. You’ve been out here for a little while” she added, stepping towards him slightly. It wasn’t the first time, since they had woken up that morning, he had seemed a little distracted and distant, and she wanted to encourage him to talk to her, even if he was likely to try and duck away from it with their families around. She wanted to know what was on his mind.

Gerard smiled a little at her concern before he shook his head. “I’m fine” he noted “I was just taking a moment” he added, flashing her a small smile as she sat down beside him.

Nora, who’d moved to settle on the step beside him, offered him a dubious look. “You sure?” she posed “I mean, you’ve been a little quiet all morning and if there is something on your mind...” she trailed off, her expression softening a little.

Gerard admired the soft look on her face for a moment before he shrugged. “I’m nervous” he noted.

“Nervous?” Nora asked with a frown.

Gerard nodded his head gently before he moved to pull something out of his pocket, something which made Nora’s frown deepen. “Gerard?” she pressed.

Gerard smiled a little at the concerned tone of her voice before he moved to settle the small box into her hand, something which made Nora tilt her head. “What is this?” she posed, her voice soft and curious.

Gerard shrugged. “What do you think it is?” he posed gently.

Nora offered him a small look before she gently shifted her other hand, opening the box as a small squeak fell out of her mouth. “Gerard” she breathed.

“You see why I am nervous now?” Gerard posed with a small nervous laugh.

Nora simply nodded her head, something which made Gerard shake his before he leant towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her shoulder. “You can tell me if this is stupid” he mumbled “If you want me to wait, just say it and I will take that back and we can forget about it for a while” he added, gesturing to the box which sat in her hand.

Nora followed his gesture, allowing his words to hang around them for a few seconds, before she shook her head, offering him a small tearful smile. “Are you going to ask or not?” she teased, sniffling a little.

Gerard lifted an eyebrow, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he quirked a small smile. Leaning towards her, he gently took the box out of her hand before he pushed himself up, moving to kneel down on the slightly damp ground ahead of her. Pausing briefly, he quietly mulled over his thoughts before he lifted his head, offering Nora a soft smile that she was quick to return, her blue eyes wide and tearful.

Admiring her smile briefly, he reached his spare hand out and knotted their fingers together, offering her hand a soft squeeze. “I’ve given this a lot of thought” he mumbled “For a few weeks, I’ve spent time trying to pick the right moment, find the right words, and still...still I have no idea what to say right now, so I am going to keep this as short and as simple as I can. I love you, Nora, I love the way things are between us now, and it makes me wonder how we missed it for as long as we did. You were under my nose and I should have told you sooner, but I am so glad that I told you eventually because you, and Alba, you make me so happy. Nora, nena, will you marry me?” he babbled softly.

Nora stared at him for a moment, allowing his words to settle into the air, before she quirked a watery smile, nodding her head gently. “Yes” she breathed.

Gerard tilted his head. “Yes?” he squeaked.

Nora spared a tearful laugh before she nodded her head again, something which caused Gerard to push himself up, quickly wrapping her in a tight hug that she didn’t hesitate to return, wanting to enjoy the moment for as long as she could.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)