If You Love Me

Sixty Seven: Does That Work For You?

Brushing her hand against the front of her dress, Nora smoothed it out slightly before she lifted her head, offering her reflection a brief glance. It had been a few days, after Gerard had popped the question, almost a week had passed, and with New Year’s Eve having arrived, they’d arranged to head out with Emilia and Mateo on a double date, something which excited Nora a little. It was rare, with both her and Emilie having young children, it’d been a while since the two of them had the opportunity to get together, and she was looking forwards to it, even if she was confident that most of the night would be spent fussing over the news of her engagement, she was sure that she would enjoy herself.

Adjusting her dress a little more, she checked her reflection briefly before she moved away from the mirror, slipping her feet into the pair of shoes which she had left beside the bed.

“Your mama has just picked Alba up”

Nora, who’d been fastening her shoe, nodded her head. “Was she OK?” she posed, watching as Gerard stepped across the room, collecting his jacket which hung on the door of the wardrobe.

Gerard, who’d moved to pull the jacket around his shoulders, shrugged. “She was a little grumpy” he noted “And I did ask your mother if she was sure that she didn’t mind looking after her for the night, but she was pretty certain. She told me to stop worrying and instead enjoy our night” he added,

Nora, who’d moved to collect her bag from the side, quirked a small smile. “You do tend to worry too much” she quipped.

Gerard scoffed. “And you don’t?” he poked.

Nora offered him a small nonchalant shrug, something which made him roll his eyes dramatically before he stepped towards her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Nora, who’d been checking the messages on her phone, let out a small squeak in surprise at the feel of his arms before she turned around, glaring up at him over her shoulder. Gerard admired the expression on her face before he quirked a boyish smile, something which made Nora roll her eyes before she shook leant up, pecking his lips briefly. “You’re very lucky that you’re cute” she mumbled as she pulled away from him, collecting her coat from the bed.

Gerard let out a small laugh before he stepped towards her, helping her to wrap the coat around her shoulders. Wrapping the material around her shoulders, he gently moved to lift her hair out from the beneath her collar before he ducked forwards, pressing a soft kiss against the back of her neck. “You know that you love me really” he mumbled softly.

Nora smiled a little at the feel of his lips against her skin before she nodded her head, something which made him smile against her skin briefly before he stepped away from her, offering her his hand. “Come on” he mused “We don’t want to keep Emmy and Mateo waiting. I doubt your sister will let us hear the end of it” he teased, knotting their fingers together.

Nora watched him slip his fingers through hers before she gently squeezed his hand, something which made him flash her another warm smile before he moved to lead her out of the room.

~#~
“So, Nora, how many times has mama hinted that you two ought to set a date already?” Emilia posed as she set a glass of champagne down in front of her sister. It had been a good night, with Maria keen to watch both Sofia and Alba, the two sisters had been quick to arrange a night out for themselves and their partners, and Emilia was pleased that they had done, even if she had steered clear of the topic of her younger sister’s engagement for a while, she had enjoyed spending time with both Nora and Gerard.

Nora, who’d been checking her phone for texts, shook her head. “She’s not been too bad” she noted “I mean, of course she’s mentioned it, but she’s been surprisingly restrained” she added.

Emilia lifted an eyebrow. “She has been?” she posed.

Nora nodded. “She’s been quite tentative, but I doubt that it will last. You know how she can be” she noted, a small smile on her face.

Emilia rolled her eyes playfully, mumbling a comment beneath her breath, before she spotted Mateo out of the corner of her eye, something which caused her to excuse herself. Nora watched her step across the crowded room for a moment before she felt someone slip into the seat at her side, something which caused her to look up, her eyes settling on Gerard who smiled down at her warmly. “You OK?” he posed gently.

Nora smiled a little at his concern before she nodded. “I’m fine” she noted.

Gerard offered a small look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he offered her his hand, something which caused Nora to lift an eyebrow. “What are you doing?” she asked.

Gerard shrugged. “It’s nearly midnight” he noted “And I figured that we could find somewhere a little quieter to see in the New Year. What do you think?” he posed, wiggling his fingers slightly as he grinned.

Nora admired his smile before she placed her hand in his, allowing him to hold onto it before he tugged her up to her feet, guiding her quickly through the crowded bar. Holding her hand in his, he steered her through the crowd before he found the door, guiding her out of it and into the garden which sat outside of it. “I think we have about two minutes before the countdown begins” he noted.

Nora, who’d moved to take a couple of steps away from him, simply nodded her head, something which made him shake his before he stepped towards her, gently settling his arms around her waist. Nora flinched a little, but didn’t say a word, causing Gerard to lean down, kissing the top of her head softly. “Have you got any resolutions?” he posed quietly, not wanting to disturb the atmosphere around them.

“A couple” she noted simply.

“Can I hear them?” Gerard mumbled, resting his head against hers.

“A few of them are the usual ones, I’d like for us to be happy and healthy, but I have also been doing a little thinking” she mused gently.

Gerard, who’d been content in their embrace, lifted his head. “Thinking?” he poked.

Nora nodded. “About us, and about a wedding. I think I would like to married in the next year” she admitted tentatively. It wasn’t something they’d talked about, with the novelty of being newly engaged still in full effect, they’d not actually talked about a wedding, and Nora was slightly apprehensive about broaching the subject first.

Gerard blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by her words, before he shook his head. “You would?” he posed.

Nora nodded her head, a tentative smile on her lips.

Gerard stared at her, allowing her words to hang around them briefly, before he quirked a small smile, something which caused Nora to lift a questioning eyebrow. “I thought you’d want to wait” he explained.

Nora shook her head. “We could do” she noted “I mean, if that’s what you want to do, we can wait a while, but I like the idea of doing it pretty soon. If that’s not what you want...” Nora’s words trailed off as Gerard leant towards her, pressing a kiss against her lips.

Giggling, she kissed him happily for a few moments before she pulled away from him, her blue eyes peeking up at him softly. “Next year works for you?” she posed impishly.

Gerard scoffed. “It can’t come quick enough” he insisted.

Nora let out another soft giggle before she gently leant into him, pressing another kiss against his lips as the sound of the New Year’s countdown filled the air. Gerard smiled at the contact briefly before he wrapped his arms around her, wordlessly musing that the next year was going to be a good one for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)