If You Love Me

Seventy Two: For All I Care

Studying the piece of paper which sat in her hand, Nora let out a soft yawn, her blue eyes blinking tiredly. She had been at it for a while, with Gerard having disappeared to settle Alba down for the night almost an hour previous, she had been quick to turn her attention to scanning over their wedding plans, but already she found herself slightly tired, even if she knew that it was something she had to get done, a small part of her wanted merely wanted to put it off for a little longer. It was closing in on them, the date that she and Gerard had chosen was only a couple of months away, and she knew that she had to get things in place quickly, even if they did have a little time left, she wanted to ensure that things were in place before Gerard departed with Spain.

Allowing her eyes to wander over the piece of paper, she attempted to focus on it for a moment before she felt a hand nudge against her shoulder, causing her to startle a little before she lifted her head, peeking up at Gerard who stood behind her, a warm smile on his face. “I didn’t mean to scare you” he noted “But I thought that you’d want to know that Alba is finally sleeping” he added, moving to settle down in the seat beside her.

Nora, who’d moved to get slightly more comfortable on the couch, nodded. “You were gone for a while” she pointed out “Was she difficult to settle?” she posed, gently pulling her blonde hair up into a loose knot.

Gerard shrugged. “She was a little fussy” he confirmed “I mean, she always is when I am the one settling her down, but she’s safely asleep now and she should be for a while, something which means I can sit down here and bother you” he added playfully.

Nora rolled her eyes. “You don’t have anything better to do?” she posed, her voice warm and teasing.

Gerard feigned thought for a moment before he shook his head. “I don’t think so” he noted “But, if you’d rather I left you to it, I can. Just give me the word” he added gently, his eyes settling on the papers which were spread across the table ahead of him.

Nora followed the line of his stare before she shook her head. “I don’t mind you sticking around too much” she quipped teasingly “Besides, I am not up to much. I am just looking over what we’ve got done so that I can figure out what we need to get done” she explained.

Gerard, who’d leant forwards slightly in his seat so that he could read the papers which sat on the table, nodded before he turned his head, offering her a soft look. “Do you think that we have much left to do?” he posed. It was something they talked about frequently, with Nora determined to ensure that their wedding was about both of them, she often bought up the topic in conversation, and it pleased Gerard, even if he had left the majority of the planning to her, he was pleased that she was still keen to keep him in the loop.

Nora shrugged. “I don’t think so” she noted “I mean, a lot of the big details are sorted out, but there are a couple of important things left to do, most namely my wedding dress” she added.

Gerard tilted his head. “You’ve not chosen a dress yet?” he asked “I thought you, your mama and Emmy went looking at them a couple of weeks ago?” he added, a small frown on his face.

Nora smiled at the slightly confused look on his face before she shook her head. “My madre and Emmy have taken me to bridal stores a couple of times, but I’ve yet to find something that I love. I’ve found a few nice ones, but nothing has jumped out at me yet” she explained, her fingers lightly twisting her engagement ring around her finger.

Gerard watched her fuss over the ring for a moment before he gently reached his hand out, knotting their fingers together before he pulled her hand to his lips, allowing him to kiss it softly. “I am sure that you will find something” he mumbled “And, even if you do have to settle, I have no doubt that you’re going to look beautiful. You could show up in one of my t-shirts for all I care and you'd still be the most beautiful girl in the room” he added, lightly kissing the finger which sported her engagement ring.

Nora’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before she shook her head. “You have to say that, don’t you?” she posed, a crooked smile on her lips.

Gerard shrugged. “You know that I think you’re beautiful” he quipped “I’ve never hidden it particularly well” he added, offering her a boyish smile.

Nora’s blushed darkened a little before she ducked her head shyly, turning her attention back towards the papers which sat ahead of her. Gerard watched her for a moment, a slightly amused smile pulling at the corner of his mouth, before he shuffled a little closer to her, pressing a gentle kiss against her shoulder. “You know” he mumbled quietly “I am pretty excited by the idea that you’ll be my wife in a few weeks” he added, dropping a kiss against her collar bone.

Nora, who’d moved to lean back against him slightly, tilted her head. “You are?” she posed “I thought you’d be a little nervous by now” she added, her voice shifting slightly between teasing and shy.

Gerard noted the nervous tinge to her voice before he sat up slightly, pulling her attention towards him. “Are you nervous?” he asked.

Nora spared him a soft look, her blue eyes mirroring his briefly, before she shrugged, something which made him smile gently before he leant forwards, kissing the top of her head softly. “You’re allowed to be nervous, you know” he mumbled into her hair, hugging her softly “I mean, I know that I am slightly nervous” he added. He knew that she was bound to be a little nervous, if he knew one thing about Nora, it was that she was a worrier, and he wanted to encourage her to talk to him about it. He wanted to assure her that there was nothing to be concerned about.

Nora cuddled into him for a moment, enjoying the hug, before she gently pulled away, peeking up at him gently. “I am nervous” she confessed softly “I mean this...it’s a big step, and I am nervous about taking it, but mostly, I am excited. You’re what I want, you have been for a while now, and a part of me is already counting down the days” she fussed with a soft smile.

Gerard marveled at the soft smile which had appeared on her lips before he leant forwards, sneaking a brief kiss. “I’m glad that you’re excited” he mumbled, lightly brushing a few loose blonde hairs off of her cheek.

Nora leant into him slightly before she shrugged. “I do kind of love you” she quipped.

Gerard smiled a little before he leant down, kissing her once more. “I kind of love you too” he played along.

Nora let out a soft giggle before she ducked into him once more, stealing a quick kiss before she pushed herself away, mumbling something about getting herself something to eat before she ducked out of the room. Gerard watched her out of the door briefly before he rested back against the couch, a familiar grin pulling at the corner of his mouth. He knew that they still had a while to go, the date that he and Nora had chosen was still a couple of months ahead of them, but already he was looking forwards to it. As far as he was concerned, it had been a long time coming, and he couldn’t wait for it to arrive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)