If You Love Me

Seventy Four: This Is Your Last Chance

Gently adjusting the dress that she had dressed Alba in, Nora quirked a soft smile, trying to ignore the butterflies which fluttered around in the pit of her stomach. It had been a while, after she had chosen her wedding dress, a few weeks had passed, and with Gerard having returned from his time playing for Spain, their attention had switched quickly to the final preparations ahead of their wedding, something which excited Nora, even if she couldn’t seem to shake the butterflies which existed in the pit of her stomach, a part of her couldn’t wait for the day to arrive.

Shaking her head a little, she ignored the slight flip of her stomach before she carefully moved to lift Alba up into her arms, allowing her to step across the room before she settled her down on the bed.

Making sure that the little girl was comfortable, she moved to slip her feet into the pair of shoes she had left beside the bed before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes settling on Emilia who stood in the door way, a familiar smile on her lips. “You know, we do have to get going at some point this evening” the older woman quipped “Are you two planning on joining us or not?” she posed, her voice warm and teasing.

Nora, who’d moved to fasten her shoe, rolled her eyes. “We’re perfectly on time” she countered “The reservation isn’t for another forty five minutes and the restaurant isn’t that far from here. I’m sure that we’ll make it on time” she added knowingly.

“We probably will” Emilia quipped as she stepped a little further into the room “But you know mama. She’s downstairs, directing things, and she asked me to come and check on you. I think she wants to get moving in the near future” she added, settling into the seat beside her sister.

Nora offered her sister a small look before she nodded her head quietly, something which made Emilia smile before she gently offered her hand out towards her. “Come on” she encouraged “We should get moving. The sooner we get to that restaurant, the sooner you can come back here and fall asleep ahead of tomorrow” she fussed, her voice warm and teasing.

She could see that Nora was nervous, from the moment that she had stepped into the room, she had seen the shy expression on her little sister’s face, and she wanted to encourage her to relax a little, even if she doubted that her words would have much of an effect, she wanted to encourage her sister to be calm and cheerful.

Nora smiled softly at her sister’s words before she lifted Alba up into her arms, affording her the opportunity to place her spare hand into Emilia’s. Emilia smiled at the feel of her hand before she offered it a light squeeze, wordlessly telling her sister that she had nothing to be worried about.

She knew that Nora would worry, ever since they were children, she had had a tendency to get into her own head when it came to big moments, but she wanted to offer her a little reassurance and comfort. As far as Emilia was concerned, Nora had nothing to worry about, and she wanted her to know it, even if she was sure that Nora wouldn’t believe her. She wanted to assure her that everything was going to be fine.

~#~
“You know, you could at least pretend that you’re not hating this”

Nora, who was sipping on her glass of water, smiled a little at the teasing tone of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a playful roll of her eyes. “What makes you think that I am hating this?” she posed, offering him the seat at her side.

Gerard shrugged. “You’ve been quiet” he quipped “And normally, I can’t shut you up. Are you alright?” he posed, his voice caught between teasing and curious. She had been a little subdued, since she had arrived at the restaurant with her mother and sister, she had been a little quiet and distant, and Gerard wanted to ensure that she was alright, even if he was mostly certain that it was likely to be nerves, he wanted to ensure that she wasn’t having any kind of second thought.

Nora, who’d moved to fiddle with the glass that sat in her hand, smiled a little at the concern in his voice before she shook her head, peeking towards him softly. “I’m nervous” she admitted “I mean, don’t get me wrong, I am looking forwards to tomorrow, it’s been a long time coming and I can’t wait for it, but I am a little nervous and I can’t seem to shake it. We’re getting married tomorrow, Gerard” she breathed, her voice slightly awed.

Gerard smiled at her words, allowing them to hang in the air for a moment, before he took a hold of her hand, pressing a light kiss against her skin. “We are” he confirmed softly “And I for one, can’t wait for it” he added, pressing another kiss to her hand.

Nora shook her head. “You’re not nervous?” she posed, her fingers shyly messing with his.

Gerard shrugged. “A little” he conceded “But not too much. I’m more excited about the idea that you’re going to be my wife” he enthused, a warm smile on his face. He had been expecting it, with the days passing quickly, it had only been a matter of time before Nora started to get a little nervy, and whilst he wasn’t surprised to see that she was slightly apprehensive, he wanted to assure her that she had nothing to be nervous about, hoping that his calmness and excitement would rub off onto her.

Nora spared him a soft look, her blue eyes studying his warm smile, before she shook her head, something which made Gerard squeeze her hand before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against her head.

Nora startled slightly, not expecting the amorous action, but she quickly leant into it, enjoying their embrace for a few moments before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to duck back slightly, her eyes settling on her mother who stood a little away from them, a soft look on her face. “Mama?” she posed.

“I hate to interrupt” Maria noted “But Alba’s starting to get a little tired and I figured that we could get going back to my place. It is starting to get a little late and you do have a big day ahead of you tomorrow” she fussed, a faint smile on her lips.

Nora nodded. “We do” she agreed “Do you mind me going?” she posed, flicking her attention back to Gerard.

Gerard shook his head. “Of course not” he noted “We both know how cranky you get when you’re tired” he teased.

Nora offered him a pointed look before she shook her head, a small smile on her lips. “This your last chance to change your mind” she quipped “You still set on marrying me?” she quipped, her voice warm and teasing.

Gerard chuckled warmly before he nodded his head. “I’m pretty set on it” he quipped “I’ll see you up at the end of the aisle tomorrow?” he posed as he pushed himself up to his feet.

Nora, who’d moved to wrap her cardigan around her shoulders, nodded. “I’ll be there” she enthused before she pushed herself up onto her toes, sneaking a quick kiss before she moved away, catching up with her mother.

Gerard watched her across the room for a moment before he shook his head. “I can’t wait” he mumbled to himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)