If You Love Me

Eighty Eight: Why Wouldn’t I Be?

Resting against the frame of the door which led into Alba’s bedroom, Gerard smiled to himself, watching as the little girl stirred in her sleep. It had been a long day, with Maria keen to surround herself with her family for as long as possible, he, Alba and Nora had spent most of the day with his mother-in-law, and whilst he had enjoyed spending time with Nora’s family, he was pleased to be home, more than ready to curl up in bed for the night.

Watching Alba quietly for a moment, he ensured that she didn’t wake up before he carefully stepped out of the room, pulling the door closed behind him. Padding away from the door, he made his way across the hall before he ducked into his bedroom, his blue eyes searching for and quickly finding Nora who stood in the bathroom, gently running a brush through her hair. Pausing for a second, he watched her brush her hair through before he padded towards her, settling his arms happily around her waist. “Alba is asleep” he mumbled, pressing a soft kiss against her shoulder.

Nora, who’d been absentmindedly brushing her hair, startled at the feel of his arms around her waist before she looked up at him. “Huh?” she posed, her voice slightly flat.

Gerard frowned, not missing the tone of her voice, before he shook his head. “I said that Alba is asleep” he repeated.

Nora, who’d moved to push herself away from him slightly, nodded. “I am not surprised” she noted “It was a pretty long day for her, especially since she woke up early. Was she still snuffly?” she posed, padding into the bedroom.

Gerard watched after her for a second before he followed, moving to settle down at the foot of the bed. “She seemed better to me” he noted “Are you alright?” he posed as he reached his hand out towards her, stopping her from messing with her hair.

Nora spared a glance down towards his hand before she shook her head. “Why wouldn’t I be?” she posed.

“I don’t know” Gerard replied “But you’ve been pretty quiet tonight and I know you well enough to know that that’s not normally a good sign. So, is there something you want to talk about?” he asked, knotting their fingers together. He had noticed it, her quiet and distant behavior had been obvious for most of the evening, and he wanted to encourage her to talk to him, even if he knew that she could be awfully stubborn when she wanted to be. He wanted to know what was on her mind.

Nora offered their hands another soft look, briefly contemplating telling him that there was nothing on her mind, before she shook her head. “I spoke to my madre earlier” she noted softly “I thought that she had been odd all day, she was quiet and she wasn’t fussing as much as normal, and so I asked her what was on her mind” she explained.

“And?” Gerard posed “Was there something bothering her?” he added, ducking his head to meet her eyes.

Nora mirrored his stare for a second before she nodded her head, a tearful smile appearing her lips. “She’s moving to New York” she breathed.

Gerard blinked, surprised by both her words and her tears, before he reached his spare hand up, cupping her cheek gently. “What?” he posed.

Nora sniffled softly before she leant into his touch. “She got a new job” she noted “Apparently, she’s been after it for a while, and now that things are settled for me and Emmy, she’s chosen to take it, but the job is in New York” she explained.

Gerard nodded understandingly. “That’s why you’ve been quiet?” he posed “You’re upset?” he added, lightly brushing a few loose tears off of her cheek.

Nora sniffled a little before she nodded. “I want her to be happy” she insisted “Of course I do, but it’s going to be...it’s a pretty big change and it’s going to be strange. She’s my madre, she’s always been there, and to think that she’s going to be living so far away...am I being silly?” she posed, peeking at him tearfully.

Gerard met her stare for a moment before he shook his head, a soft smile playing at the corner of his lips. “Of course not” he noted “I mean, you’re right, it is a pretty big deal, and of course you are allowed to be upset about it. She’s your madre, Nora” he insisted gently.

Nora offered him a soft look before she shook her head, gently wiping a few loose tears off of her cheek. “I didn’t mean to cry” she noted “I mean, I am upset about it, but with these hormones, I am a mess” she added with a sniffy laugh.

Gerard shook his head. “You’re not a mess” he returned “And you’re allowed to cry, pregnant or not. She’s your madre, Nora, and the idea that she is leaving, it’s bound to be upsetting. I mean, for a long time after your papa died, it was just you, her and Emmy” he added as he pushed himself up to his feet, moving to pull her into a soft hug.

Nora stilled a little, slightly surprised by the soft hug, but she was quick to react, cuddling into him gently. “I am going to miss her” she mumbled, breaking the silence which had settled over them.

Gerard quirked a smile. “Even the fussing over this?” he posed, his hand lightly brushing over her bump.

Nora let out another sniffy laugh. “Even that” she quipped.

Gerard offered her another smile before he leant forwards, pressing a kiss against the top of her head. “It is what she wants to do, Nora” he noted “And whilst it will be strange, as long as it makes her happy, that’s the important thing. She’ll be here for the important things, I doubt I could keep her away from baby’s arrival even if I tried, but it’s just going to take some getting used to” he added, his hand brushing her back reassuringly.

Nora smiled at his comforting touch before she nodded. “I know” she mused “And it means we’re going to have to find another babysitter” she added, her voice caught between tearful and teasing.

Gerard smiled at her joke before he moved to pull her into another hug, something with Nora was more than happy to return, glad that he was around.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)