If You Love Me

Ninety Two: You Took Your Time

Resting back in his seat, Gerard spared a soft yawn into his hand, his blue eyes settling on Rachel, their midwife, who sat at the foot of the bed, checking Nora over. It had been a while, after Nora’s waters had broken, she and Gerard had been quick to make their way to the hospital, but the progress of her labour seemed to be slow, something which irked Gerard slightly, even if he was looking forwards to meeting their son. He had been hoping for a swifter labour than the one that Nora had been through when she had delivered Alba.

Stretching his neck, he watched Rachel finish checking Nora over, before he tilted his head, wordlessly asking if they had made any progress.

Rachel caught his look before she shook her head, a slightly sympathetic smile on her lips. “We’re still stuck at two centimetres I am afraid” she noted.

“We are?” Nora pressed, her voice more than slightly frustrated.

Rachel offered the blonde a soft look before she nodded. “You’re progressing slowly” she noted “I mean, you’re closer to two and a half centimetres than you were the last time I checked on you, but it would appear that your baby is planning on taking his time when it comes to making his appearance. Everything is looking good, both you and the baby seem to be doing well, it’s just slow progress” she explained, her voice soft and reassuring.

Nora spared Rachel a soft look before she let out a light sigh, something which caused Gerard to shuffle closer to the bed, his hand gently taking a hold of hers.

Rachel watched the small amorous interaction before she stepped towards the door. “I will be back to check on you in a little while” she excused herself, making her way out of the door.

Gerard watched the other woman out of the door before he turned his attention back to Nora, dipping his head so that he could press a soft kiss against the back of her hand. “How are you doing?” he posed quietly. He knew that she was frustrated, the look on her face every time the midwife suggested that she wasn’t making much progress confided it, but he wanted to encourage her to relax, even if he was as frustrated as her, he didn’t want her to get too worked up.

Nora shrugged. “I’m tired” she mumbled “And I am starting to get a little frustrated. Why won’t he just come?” she pressed, her blue eyes wide and tearful.

Gerard sighed a little, not missing the tears in her eyes, before he ducked down, pressing another soft kiss against the back of her hand. “He is coming, nena” he noted “He’s just taking his time about it. I am sure that it won’t be too much longer” he insisted, trying to keep his voice buoyant and comforting.

Nora simply offered him a dubious look, something which made Gerard sigh before he squeezed her hand, hoping that it wouldn’t be too much longer before their little boy put in his first appearance.

~#~
Messing with his phone which sat in his hand, Gerard spared a small glance towards the bed, watching as Rachel checked Nora over once more. It had been hours, since they had arrived at the hospital, almost twelve hours had passed, but still very little seemed to be happening, something Gerard knew was getting at Nora. She was tired, with her contractions having kept her up overnight and her waters having broken in the early hours of the morning, Nora had barely had an hour’s sleep, and he knew that she was tired, something which wasn’t being helped by Rachel who kept insisting that she had made next to no progress.

Fiddling with his phone, he allowed Rachel to finish before he leant forwards, catching her eye. “Well?” he pressed.

Rachel sighed. “There’s still not been a lot of progress” she noted gently “So much so, I think we need to start thinking about a caesarian” she added, her voice slightly tentative.

Nora, who’d moved to sit up against her pillow, blinked. “A caesarian?” she pressed.

Rachel nodded. “You’ve been in labour for over twelve hours, but still you’ve not progressed beyond two and a half centimetres and I am a little worried about your progress. I am not saying that it is something we definitely have to do, both you and your baby are healthy, and if you want to wait it out, you can, but I’m slightly concerned. Your blood pressure is rising” she explained.

Nora stared at her for a moment, trying to process her words, before she turned her head, offering Gerard a fretful look. “What do you think?” she posed.

Gerard held her stare for a moment before shook his head. “As long as you and baby are OK, I don’t care how he comes along” he noted “But if you’re not sure about it, we can wait it out. It’s up to you” he insisted gently.

Nora offered him another soft look, quietly mulling his words over, before she turned her attention back towards Rachel, nodding her head softly. “OK” she breathed softly.

Rachel nodded her head before she flashed her a soft smile. “I’ll get it set up and then I will come back and prepare you” she insisted before she stepped out of the door.

Nora watched her go before she felt a hand take her own, causing her to jump slightly before she lifted her, not missing the comforting smile which sat on Gerard’s face.

~#~
Rubbing his hand over his face, Gerard rested back into his seat, a yawn spilling out of his mouth. It had been a while, after Nora had agreed to a caesarian section, a few hours had passed, but with her recovering and safely sleeping, Gerard couldn’t quite will himself to fall asleep, not wanting to miss out on any time with the little boy who slept in the crib at his side, his chest rising and falling quietly.

It had scared him, when Rachel had suggested the surgery, it had caught Gerard more than a little off guard, but he was pleased with the results, even if it wasn’t quite how he had envisaged the little boy making his first appearance. He was simply glad that both mother and baby were doing OK. Yawning into his hand once more, he stretched himself out slightly before he carefully leant forwards, his blue eyes peeking down at the little boy who stirred slightly in his sleep.

Admiring the soft and delicate movements, he smiled to himself gently before he reached his hand out, lightly brushing his fingertips through the fine splattering of blonde hair which sat on the baby’s head. “I am so happy to see you” he murmured softly “I mean, you took your time and you really put your madre through it, but I am so glad that you’re here. We’ve been waiting for you” he added.

The baby stirred a little, stretching his arms out, before he settled, something which made Gerard’s smile widen before he ducked down, kissing the top of his head softly. “Welcome to the world, Rafa” he mumbled quietly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)