If You Love Me

Ninety Three: You Say It Enough

Gingerly resting on her side, Nora spared a soft yawn, her blue eyes settling on the little boy who laid on the mattress beside her, his blue eyes scanning the room curiously. It had been a quiet night, with Gerard around and keen to ensure that Nora didn’t do too much, she had been allowed to sleep for a while, but with Gerard having ducked out for a while, she had opted to spend some time with the baby, wanting to make the most of the time that they had to themselves before their friends and families descended upon them.

Allowing another soft yawn to slip out of her mouth, she carefully brushed her fingers back through the soft tufts of blonde hair which sat on his head before she leant down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of his head. “You know, I was pretty scared yesterday” she murmured “When we got here, I thought you would come along, just like your big sister did, but you wanted to do things your own way, and whilst it frightened me, I am so happy with the outcome. I’m so happy that you’re here, Rafa” she fussed, her fingers lightly straightening out the material of the onesie he wore.

Rafael, who’d started to fall asleep, stirred slightly before he let out a soft yawn, something which made Nora quirk a soft smile before she leant down, pressing another kiss against his head. “Dulces sueños, little one” she mumbled softly.

“I thought you’d still be asleep”

Nora, who’d been contently watching Rafael, startled slightly at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she turned slightly, peeking over her shoulder towards where he stood in the door way. “You were asleep when I left” he pointed out “And I figured, after yesterday, you’d be asleep for a lot longer. Have you been awake for long?” he posed as he stepped into the room, moving to settle down at the foot of the bed.

Nora watched him sit down before she shook her head, flicking her attention back towards Rafael. “Twenty minutes, maybe half an hour” she replied “But I have been pretty distracted. Where’d you get to?” she posed, smiling a little at the small noise that Rafael made in his sleep.

Gerard admired the soft smile on her face before he shook his head. “I just went out to run a couple of errands” he noted “I figured, with both you and Rafa sleeping, you’d not miss me too much” he quipped teasingly.

Nora scoffed playfully. “I hardly noticed that you weren’t here” she played along.

Gerard quirked a small smile at her teasing before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek. “I thought that I would make a few phone calls” he noted “And I popped home quickly to pick you and Rafa up a few more things. I spoke to Rachel last night when she came to check on the two of you and she seemed to think you’d be here for a few days, so I thought you’d need a few more things” he explained, lightly brushing a few loose hairs off of her face.

Nora smiled at the small affectionate action before she looked up, her blue eyes mirroring his. “You’ve spoken to Emmy?” she posed.

“I have” Gerard confirmed “And she’s more than happy to have Alba for a few days” he added.

“She is?” Nora posed, her expression slightly unsure.

Gerard nodded. “She made a joke about us owing her” he quipped “But she said that she’s more than happy to look after Alba for us” he added.

“Is Alba alright?” Nora asked, stretching tentatively.

Gerard nodded. “She’s fine” he insisted “Emmy said that she gave them a little trouble when it came to going to sleep last night, but that’s normal. She’s always a little fussy when she is away from me and you” he explained.

Nora offered him a small look before she nodded. “She is” she agreed “But only because she’s already such a papa’s girl” she added, an impish smile on her face.

Gerard offered her a slightly boastful smile, something which made Nora scoff playfully before Rafael made a small noise, pulling the attention of both his mother and father back towards him. Watching the little boy stir for a moment, Gerard shuffled up the bed before he carefully settled down beside Nora, his arm resting over her waist. “Is he alright?” he posed quietly, not wanting to disturb the comfortably quiet atmosphere which had settled over the small hospital room.

Nora leant into his embrace slightly before she nodded her head, peeking up at him softly. “He’s fine” she mused “He had a feed and a nappy change whilst you were gone, and he’s only just settled back to sleep. I am sure that he will settle quickly” she added.

Gerard glanced at her, his expression slightly dubious, something which made Nora giggle before she leant over, pressing a quick kiss against his lips. “Stop looking so worried” she quipped “It’s not exactly our first time” she added, her voice warm and encouraging. It wasn’t unfamiliar, the slightly uncertain expression that Gerard wore was one she had seen a lot of since Rafael had entered the world, and whilst she found it sweet that he was still apprehensive, she wanted to reassure him. Things were alright, both she and Rafael were fine, and she wanted him to know it.

Gerard spared her another dubious glance before he shook his head, resting it softly against her shoulder. “I know that” he mumbled “And I know that you and Rafa, you’re both fine, but for a little while, I am probably going to look worried. It surprised me, Nora, the surgery, and whilst I know that it was no big deal, and that both you and Rafa are perfect, I am probably going to fuss over the two of you for a while. Can you cope with that?” he posed, pressing a soft kiss against her shoulder.

Nora smiled, not missing the softness in his voice, before she nodded. “I think so” she noted “Beside, I’ve always kind of liked your protective side” she added impishly.

Gerard let out a small scoff before he pressed another kiss against her shoulder. “I love you” he mumbled “I don’t say that enough, but I do. I am so in love with you, Nora” he babbled.

Nora’s cheeks warmed a little at his words before she craned her neck, pressing another soft kiss against his lips. “You say it plenty” she mused “But I still like hearing it. I love you too, Gerard” she added between kisses.

Gerard held onto her for a second, enjoying the soft kiss, before he leant back, allowing her to turn back to Rafael who still slept happily on the mattress at her side. It felt strange to him, the idea that they had Rafael as well as Alba was one which still felt surreal, but he had little doubt that they’d get used to it. He already knew that he loved the idea that their little family had grown.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)