If You Love Me

Ninety Four: Don’t You Want To Say Hello?

Pulling his clean t-shirt down over his head, Gerard pushed a hand back through his hair, attempting to smooth out it slightly as he scanned his reflection in the mirror which stood ahead of him. It had been a quiet day, with both Nora and Rafael asleep for the majority of it, Gerard had been left to his own devices for a while, and whilst he had found himself getting slightly bored, he knew that he wouldn’t have changed it, not wanting to be away from Nora or Rafael for any longer than necessary. He knew that he was being slightly silly, after the operation, Rachel had been quick to assure him that both Nora and Rafael were fine, but still a small part of him worried, even if he knew that there was no need for it. He doubted that he would stop worrying until both Nora and Rafael were home.

Offering his reflection another brief gander, he moved to flatten down a couple of wayward pieces of hair before the sound of a knock at the door reached his ears, causing him to let out a quiet sigh. Padding out of the bathroom, he spared a quick look towards Nora who was still sleeping soundly before he pulled the door open, his blue eyes settling on Emilia who stood outside, Alba balanced on her hip. “Emilia” he breathed, slightly surprised by her arrival.

Emilia offered him a soft smile, something which made Gerard shake his head before he motioned over her shoulder, wordlessly informing her that they could talk in the hall. Emilia followed his direction before she took a step back, allowing him to pull the door quietly closed behind him. “I’m sorry for showing up without much of a warning” she noted “It’s just...Alba keeps asking for her mama and papa and I figured that you’d not mind us dropping by. If you want me to, I can take her home” she offered.

Gerard paused for a moment, mulling over her offer, before he shook his head, a faint smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. “It’s OK” he noted.

“You sure?” Emilia asked.

Gerard nodded. “We’ll just have to be quiet” he noted “Nora and Rafa are still asleep and I don’t want to disturb them” he added.

Emilia nodded her head gently before she stretched her arms out, gently offering Alba out towards Gerard. “I think someone might want to say hola to her papa first” she mused.

Gerard flashed his sister-in-law a warm grin before he took a pace towards her, his blue eyes meeting Alba’s, something which caused the little girl to reach her arms up. “Papa!” she squeaked excitedly.

Gerard smiled at her excitement before he wrapped his arms around her, lifting her out of her aunt’s arms. “It’s good to see you, princesa” he mumbled “I’ve missed you. Were you a good girl for your aunt?” he added, pressing a light kiss against the top of her head.

Emilia smiled. “She’s been fine” she noted “I mean, she’s had a few fussy moments, but I was half expecting it. She is Nora’s daughter, after all” she added, her voice warm and teasing.

Gerard let out a small laugh before Alba shifted, pulling his attention back towards her. “You Ok?” he posed softly.

Alba stared up at him, a small frown on her face. “Mama?” she pressed.

“You want to see your mama?” Gerard posed, lightly brushing the dark hair out of her eyes “I think we can probably manage that, but you have to be quiet. She’s very sleepy, as is your new baby brother, and we don’t want to wake them up, do we?” he added, gently moving to settle Alba down onto her feet.

Alba stared up at him before she reached her hand up, something which made Gerard smile before he took a hold of it, offering it a soft squeeze. “Come on” he enthused.

Emilia, who stood a little away from, smiled at the interaction between the two of them before she shook her head. “I think I am going to leave you to it” she mused.

Gerard, who’d been happily fussing over Alba, lifted his head, offering her a soft look. “You don’t have to” he noted “I am sure that Nora would be more than happy to see you” he added.

“Maybe” Emilia quipped “But I think, right now, it ought to be about the four of you. Call me later, I’ll come by and get her” she added.

Gerard offered her look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he nodded his head. “OK” he noted.

Emilia flashed him a small smile before she stepped away, allowing him to flick his attention down towards Alba, offering her a soft smile. “You want to see mama?” he asked.

“Mama!” Alba enthused, a bright smile on her face.

Gerard let out a small laugh before he gently pushed the door open, allowing Alba to toddle in ahead of him. Keeping a hold of her hand, he allowed her to toddle towards the bed before he carefully lifted her up, sitting her gently in his lap. Pausing for a second, he allowed her to get comfortable before he carefully lifted a hand, nudging it against Nora’s shoulder. “Nora?” he pressed.

Nora, who had been contently curled up against her pillow, stirred a little at the feel of his hand before she blinked her blue eyes open, peeking up at him sleepily. “Huh?” she spluttered softly.

Gerard offered her a soft smile. “I am sorry for disturbing you” he mused “But I think that someone is looking forwards to seeing their mama” he added, offering a small glance towards Alba who sat in his lap, her blue eyes peeking curiously towards Nora.

Nora, who’d moved to sit up tentatively, followed the line of his stare before she quirked a soft smile. “Alba” she breathed “Princesa, it is so good to see you” she enthused.

Alba grinned brightly at the sight of her mother before she attempted to rush towards her, something Gerard was quick to prevent. “You’ve got to be careful, little one” he noted, his voice slightly stern.

Alba pouted at the tone of his voice, something which made Nora giggle before she reached her arms out, carefully pulling the little girl into a tentative hug. “Hola, baby” she enthused.

Gerard watched the two of them for a moment before Rafael let out a small sound, causing him to duck down, carefully lifting the little boy up into his arms. “Nora?” he posed.

Nora, who’d been carefully adjusting the clip which had been placed into Alba’s dark hair, startled slightly at the sound of her name before she lifted her head, offering him a soft glance. “Huh?” she asked.

Gerard smiled. “Don’t you have someone that you want to introduce Alba to?” he encouraged, nodding down towards Rafael who had fallen back to sleep in his arms.

Nora offered the baby a glance before she nodded. “Of course” she enthused “Alba, baby, me and your papa have someone we want you to meet” she added before she carefully lifted Alba up, turning her back towards her father. Alba frowned a little, not liking being moved away from her mother, before she dropped her eyes, focusing on the little bundle which was settled in her father’s arms.

Gerard smiled, not missing the confused look on her face, before he carefully moved towards her slightly, offering her a better look down at her baby brother. “This is Rafa” he noted “He’s your new baby brother” he explained.

Alba stared at the baby for a second, watching him sleep, before she lifted her head, stretching her arms up towards Gerard. “Papa” she squeaked, wanting to be picked up.

Gerard shook his head. “Don’t you want to say hola?” he encouraged.

Alba shook her head. “Papa” she repeated, stretching her arms towards him once more.

Gerard offered her a soft look before he let out a gentle sigh, hoping that Alba got used to her little brother sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)