If You Love Me

Ninety Six: Home

Pacing the length of the room, Gerard carefully bounced his arms, trying to soothe Rafael who sat in his arms, grumbling quietly. It had been another long night, with Rafael being fussy, neither he nor Nora had gotten a lot of sleep, but the defender didn’t mind being awake early, even if he was tired, a small part of him was simply counting down the hours until he got to take Rafael and Nora home. It had been a while coming, with Rafael having arrived via caesarian, the doctors had been quick to insist that Nora spend a few days in hospital in order to recuperate, and whilst Gerard understood it, he couldn’t wait to get home, wanting to get out of the stuffy hospital room.

Stifling a soft yawn in his hand, he carefully swayed the little boy for a moment before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached his ears, causing him to lift his head slightly, his eyes settling on Nora who stood a little away from him, a fond smile on her lips. “What are you smiling at?” he quipped, his voice bright and teasing.

Nora, who was leant against the doorframe, shrugged. “I need your permission to smile at my two favourites guys?” she asked, moving to pad back towards the bed.

Gerard scoffed. “Of course not” he quipped “Besides, how could you not smile at us? Me and Rafa, we’re adorable” he boasted warmly.

Nora rolled her eyes playfully before she shook her head, turning her attention down towards the bag which sat on the bed ahead of her. “Have you called Emmy this morning?” she posed, her hands neatly folding one of her shirts.

Gerard, who’d flicked his attention back towards Rafael, shook his head. “I haven’t” he noted “But I will do as soon as we get home. Right now, my priority is getting you and Rafa home” he added, a faint smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Nora noticed the small smile before she shook her head amusedly, her fingers lightly pushing some of her blonde hair off of her face. “You’ve been itching to say that for days, haven’t you?” she quipped. She wasn’t overly surprised, after Rafael had arrived, she was certain that he had been counting down the time until she and the little boy returned him, and a part of her found it sweet, even if she knew that his fussing had the potential to be a little over bearing. She liked the idea that he was excited to have them home.

Gerard offered her a soft look before he nodded his head “You know I have” he replied “Aren’t you looking forwards to it?” he added.

Nora, who’d moved to fold a few more items of clothing, nodded. “I’ve missed Alba” she noted “I mean, I know she’s been here a lot, but I have missed being at home with her, and I have missed my own bed. This one isn’t exactly made to fit both of us” she added, offering him a small smile.

Gerard, who’d moved to settle down on the edge of the bed, scoffed. “I did try and sleep in the chair” he pointed out, a feigned pout on his face.

Nora giggled at the expression on his face before she shook her head. “I know you did” she quipped “And I appreciate it, even if you did end up hogging most of the bed. I’m kind of glad you didn’t listen to me every time I suggested that you just go home for a nap” she added, her blue eyes peeking up at him softly.

Gerard mirrored her stare briefly before he carefully reached his spare hand out, guiding her to stand in front of him. “I’d never have gone” he mused “I mean, I know that you and Rafa, you’re fine, I’ve been told more than once, but I didn’t want to leave you. Is that silly?” he posed, lightly tracing his thumb over the back of her hand.

Nora watched the small movements of his thumb for a moment before she shook her head, a soft smile appearing on her lips. “It’s not” she mused “I mean, you could have been a little more relaxed, and gotten a little more sleep, but I have kind of enjoyed you fussing. It’s very sweet” she added, shyly tucking a few more loose hairs behind her ears.

Gerard smiled, slightly amused by the sight of her small nervous habit, before he carefully pushed himself up to his feet, the hand which was holding hers moving to settle against her cheek. “You still get shy around me?” he teased.

Nora, who’d moved to lean into his touch slightly, rolled her eyes. “Is that a problem?” she countered.

Gerard laughed. “Not at all” he quipped “If anything, I kind of like it” he added boyishly.

Nora offered him another roll of her eyes before she carefully pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a couple of quick pecks against his lips. “You know, I kind of like you” she teased, leaning away from him slightly.

Gerard tilted his head. “Kind of like me?” he protested, his voice warm and teasing “Nora, nena, we’ve been together for almost three years, we’re married and we’ve got two children. I am hoping for a little more than you ‘kind of like’ me” he added, his fingers gingerly ticking her side.

Nora let out a soft squeak of laughter before she shook her head, shuffling away from him slightly. “Ok” she noted “I love you” she added, offering him an impish smile.

Gerard rolled his eyes slightly before he took a pace towards her, kissing her sweetly. “I know you do” he mumbled between kisses “And I love you too” he added, kissing her gently. Nora smiled into the contact, holding onto him for a few moments before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to lean back, her blue eyes settling on Rachel who stood in the door way, a sheepish smile on her lips.

“I am sorry for interrupting” the midwife noted “But I thought I would come and give Nora and Rafa their last checks before I discharge them. Do you mind?” she posed.

Nora shook her head. “Of course not” she noted before she offered a look towards Gerard, something which encouraged him to settle Rafael down into his crib before he padded towards the door, already looking forwards to the moment that he had his little family at home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony and FootieJo for the comments :)