Reckless Magic

Chapter Five

Catherine was almost bored going through the magic routine with...Felix. She studied him through narrowed, analytical eyes and supposed the name fit him. It reminded her of some animal that came out at night and slunk around through the shadows, which was essentially what everyone in the Underworld was. She had perfected an air of calm indifference and a great poker face. When you dedicated your life to exposing secrets, you had to.

"Now, these look like ordinary rings but they actually have almost minuscule hinges," Felix was explaining, showing her the rings in question. "You have to line them up in order to connect them-"

Catherine snatched the rings out of his hands, easily stringing all three rings together. She gave him a haughty look. "I told you doing these tricks wouldn't be a problem for me," she said. "Frankly I'm a bit disappointed. These are some of the most basic and amateurish tricks there are."

Felix looked annoyed but there was a sort of calculation behind it. Catherine got the sense that he was sizing her up, trying to see just how much she knew.

"I take it then that you're familiar with the Levitating Girl and the Disappearing Box?" he asked.

"A device that goes in front of my legs and lifts up, giving the appearance that I'm floating. And a trap door that leads beneath the stage," Catherine replied. He looked almost surprised and begrudgingly pleased.

"Well, I suppose you're prepared for the first show, then. How do you know so much about magicians' tricks?"

"I saw a magician perform a card trick when I was a little girl. I saw how it worked, and wanted to find out how other tricks worked."

"I see. So it's a passion of yours?"

"You could say that."

"We'd best get you into costume and see how it fits. We may need to do a rush with the seamstress. It was tailored to fit my last assistant."

"What did happen to your last assistant?" Catherine asked, following him behind stage. "As I mentioned, I recently saw a show of yours. The assistant you had seemed more than capable."

"Creative differences," Felix said, rummaging through a rack of clothes. Catherine crossed her arms.

"Is that your subtle way of saying you got bored with her?" she asked.

"I can't help it if lovely women have a habit of growing too fond of me," he replied mildly and Catherine snorted daintily with derision.

"It could even happen to you," Felix added, pulling something off the rack and handing it to her.

"Now that would be an impressive magic trick," she said sweetly. "I have standards and prefer men with class."

She took the costume and stalked to a small dressing room to change into it. She appraised herself critically in the mirror. The beaded, glittering bodice clung to her while the equally glittering skirt barely earned the name. It was bright icy blue and silver, complementing her blue eyes and pale blonde hair. She had to admit it almost seemed like the stupid thing was designed for her. She rummaged around some more, finding gloves, tights and high heels to go with it. When she'd completed the look she returned to the stage.

Ernest, who had been hoisting the ropes to close the curtains, froze to gape at her and he let go of the rope. The curtains flicked back open, nearly knocking Felix off the stage altogether. He shot Ernest an annoyed look.

"What are you-oh." He noticed Catherine as she strode out onto the stage.

"Well. It certainly seems to fit," he said and she rolled her eyes as he walked a circle around her.

"Are you part vulture?" she quipped.

"Such a sunny disposition you have."

"I am sunny," Catherine said. "I just keep the brightness toned down, so I don't blind anyone. Think of me as an eclipse."

Felix stopped his appraisal of her outfit, arching an eyebrow before getting back to work.

"We'll arrange to have some other outfits made for you," he said. "Have to switch it up, you know. Keep things fresh."

"Fresh," Catherine repeated. "Magic acts are hardly fresh. You do the same tricks every time."

"What do you think we have pretty assistants for?" He winked and Catherine frowned.

"This is a professional relationship, Felix," she said primly. "It's hardly appropriate for you to be flirting with me."

"I was merely asking a simple question," he replied innocently. Catherine smoothed the bodice of her dress.

"At least you use nice material," she mused. They spent the afternoon going over the show routine so she knew where to stand and when. She lurked in the shadows backstage and watched as the audience began to file into the theater, filling the space with excited chatter and energy. Catherine shook her head; she would never understand what people found so fascinating about this. It was all simple sleight of hand and misdirection. They were paying to be duped.

She was startled to find that she was almost nervous as she sashayed out to address the crowd and make the dramatic introduction for Maximilian the Great. She veered off script a bit, beaming charmingly and cracking a few jokes to fill time while Felix finished preparing for his grand entrance.

The show went surprisingly smoothly. All her diligent study of how magic tricks worked served her well now and she didn't fumble once. She still thought Felix was something of an insufferable cad with an inflated ego, but the crowd seemed to love him well enough. He soaked in the applause like a fame sponge, doing everything with flair.

"Not bad," he remarked to her when the show was over.

"They love her," Ernest said excitedly, scrambling over to them. "She was amazing. Took the show to a whole new level."

"All right, Ernest." Felix shot him a sideways glance.

"I'm telling you, the show is going to get even more popular because of her. She's way better than Miriam was."

"Ernest," Felix said loudly, clapping Ernest on the shoulder. "Why don't you clean up a bit while I show our new assistant to her living quarters."

"I can take her," Ernest said hurriedly but Felix was already steering Catherine away. She tried and failed to suppress a smirk. She changed back into her regular clothes and followed Felix out of the Underworld neighborhood to a top floor apartment in a nicer part of town. It was surprisingly clean and spacious.

"I bought this place for my assistants to live in," he said. "You can move your things into it whenever you like. Ernest and I live just up the street from here."

"I'll bring my things tomorrow," Catherine said. She packed a trunk full of clothes and books, her cherished violin, and brought her cat. Celestina was a gorgeous, dainty little thing with long snow white fur and big blue eyes.

"Where on earth are you going with all of this?" James poked his head out of his study and surveyed his daughter's luggage with bafflement.

"I'm going away for a bit with Blanche," Catherine said quickly. Blanche was already on her way to the Grainger Islands for a brief excursion, and wouldn't be here to contradict the story. Catherine gave her father a quick kiss on the cheek and hurried out to the carriage. It didn't take her long to move everything in and organize the apartment to her liking. She had even packed her favorite tea set. She stepped out onto the small balcony and took in the view of the city's skyline. This would likely prove to be the strangest thing she'd ever done, but it would make a good story one day.