Magnetized

Parlor Tricks

The dark haired man lying on the table screamed again. Burns on his chest sizzled as his back arched off the table. His body was lean and drenched in sweat. She moved closer to him, staring into the black abyss of his irises.

If she didn’t let him feel the pain, he wouldn’t tell her what she wanted. Though, she had to admit, the screaming made her adrenaline rush through her veins. This man seemed to have learned from an early age to empty his thoughts. Or maybe he was pathetic enough to only think about blood, death, and the agent he left behind.

Skye.

A pretty name for a target. Katherine remembered the name well, but it had nothing to do with her present adventure. No, Skye was an old friend of sorts. She never met the hacker in person, but Rising Tide was no small feat. Ellery was the talent for that game and they lost. However, Katherine was in the driver’s seat, and she never lost the game.

“The clairvoyant said you would be helpful. Your girlfriend has taken something that belongs to me, and I what it back.” Katherine said as she walked around him.

She couldn’t help herself as she ran a long, painted black fingernail over his abdomen. His skin was oily, filthy. She imagined him in combat for a moment; each strike dealt angled his body at an even more advantageous view point. Katherine bit her lower lip as she pried her eyes from his muscles back to his depths.

“Good luck with that,” he said, spitting out droplets of blood.

“You have no idea what I could do for you, if you’d just tell me where they would take her?”

Katherine knew her limitations, and she knew how to power through them. A strong mind, given the right ingredients, would always break beneath her will. This man was no different. His body was bruised and broken; blood smeared from his head to his toes, but his mind was extravagant. The minions she’d been given were better muscle than she’d expected, but less attractive than the prisoner.

“I know exactly what you can do.” His smile was gruesome and stained. “Let me keep my free-will, and you can have whatever you want.”

Katherine returned his chilling smile. The blinding lights surrounding them dimmed, a cool breeze dried Ward’s clammy skin, and his chains fell off. She sat next to an open window sipping a glass of red wine. Her conquests were always the same. First the surprise, then denial, finally they became addicted.

“You know, Mr. Ward, what I could do to you, not for you.” She said before taking another sip.

“I’m being tortured,” he said, studying his surroundings.

“Not at the moment. Although, if you ask nicely, I might tie you up again.” Katherine winked as his eyes widened landing on her.

Normally, for these situations, she preferred a low cut red number that showed off her long legs. However, this occasion called for something different. Black, elegant, off set with an up-do. She crossed her legs and poured some wine into the empty glass next to her.

“I’m more of a whiskey neat kind of guy,” Ward said.

Katherine snapped her fingers and the scene changed. A dark, rowdy bar two glasses, both measured two fingers each. Her little black dress was now a white tank top and jeans. He looked better in his t-shirt and jeans anyway.

“Top shelf. If it’s not the best, I don’t do it,” Katherine said.

“What is this?”

Katherine scoffed. “I thought you said you knew what I could do?” He sat down, sipped the drink, and sighed with pleasure. She knew she had more self-control than this, but couldn’t find it. Her body leaned in. “You’re lucky you haven’t pissed me off yet. Don’t blow it.”

“So you’re not the gear head,” Ward said. “Good. I wasn’t looking forward to that wrench.”

He pulled her closer, pressed his muscles against her. His voice grew low and husky. “I think you’re going to want to bring that bed back now.”

Image


Katherine looked at herself in the mirror, which was not something she did often. Her coppery locks curled around her shoulders, and those disgusting, jade eyes stared back. The only reminder of her separation, her difference, was the bolt of lightning beneath her ear. She latched the silver bracelet on her wrist before turning away.

After Grant Ward’s session, she felt compelled to take a long shower. Still, the stains hadn’t washed away from her mind. They never would, but in time they’d become dormant. However, she may be stuck with them for longer than she’d like.

Her heels clicked down the corridor until she stood in front of two plate glass doors. With the wave of a hand, men opened each door.

“It’s about time you arrived.” Katherine said.

A man dressed in black turned and gave her a grin she didn’t want to see. He puffed on a cigar as he stepped through the door.

“Sorry, the clairvoyant sends his love, Mind Games.” John Garret said. He gripped Katherine in a smoky hug that she violently pushed away from.

She snatched the cigar, snuffed it out, and gritted her teeth. “Can’t you read the no smoking signs?”

Soldiers were all the same. Their thoughts swam around their own glory and achievements. There was something different about Garret today. Even though he tried to hide it from her, he was focused on one person in particular.

“Sir,” Ward said. His footfalls echoed around her until he embraced his friend and mentor.

“I kept my word. There were no alterations to him, but I will need someone strong to go after her.” Katherine said. “When should I expect…?”

Garret snickered. “Don’t get your panties in a twist, Mind Games. If you want the Skye, then you have to send the man who knows her best.”

Grant smiled that sickening smirk. “I can have her wrapped around my finger before you know it.”

Katherine turned her back on both men as she called out, “Results. I don’t care how you do it as long as I see results. Ellery Tarr better be onsite within twenty-four hours.”

This rivalry would end soon, and she’d finally belong in the world. Katherine would finally find the man that could teach her while setting the record straight. Ellery may have been their mother’s favorite, but their father wouldn’t be able to resist Katherine’s ability.

Image


Ward stood straight as he looked his longtime friend in the eye. This man saved his life too many times to count. He picked him up and made him strong. Now, they were about to get everything they wanted.

“How’d we manage to pull this off?” Ward said.

“You’re not the only inside man at S.H.I.E.L.D.” Garret laughed as he clapped Ward on the shoulder. Ward was glad to feel the warmth. Katherine gave off a coldness that he hadn’t felt since Christian died. “Come on. You deserve a drink, and I happen to know where Mind Games keeps the good stuff.”

A nonchalant grin came over his features as Ward watched her disappear around the corner.

“Sir,” Ward said, “Is that Katherine Ellery? The person Coulson’s team has been hunting for the last year?”

“No,” Garret said. “Katherine Ellery doesn’t exist, but Katherine Tarr will bury anyone in her way. I’ve seen her work on occasion. Once she warms up to you, ask for a parlor trick.”

He’d already seen one parlor trick, and he hated to admit he liked it. He wanted more.

Image


Two men stood in front of a blue expanse. Names filtered through at a speed so great, neither could truly read them all. The older man, in a wheelchair, took the helmet off his head as he looked at the young man standing over him.

“We mustn’t let him find out about this. He has been doing so much good lately. If he knows Katherine has joined Hydra, it will destroy everything we’ve built,” said the older man.

“I’m not saying a word,” the young man said, “but my money’s on Ellery.”

“Get me the research on these men. Phil Coulson and John Garret. Let’s see what we are getting ourselves into.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is our first look at Katherine, but it is certainly not everything she can do. Stay tuned if Katherine has wet your appetite for more.

Leave me comments, please!

Image