The Spy

ONE

Alexander’s POV
Guarding the Kid.


“I’d only heard of her beauty until I saw her walking down the hallway that day. I knew exactly who she was as she shuffled passed me, chains hanging from her wrists. Her eyes met mine, as blue as the diamonds she had stolen. She took a brief pause in her step, smiled slightly at me and was pushed by a guard who quickly told her to move on.” His voice interrupts mine abruptly, like the eager child he’s becoming.

“So if you’d only heard of her, how’d you catch her?” he asks.

“I caught her before she dropped them with her fence, she’d sent a message and I decrypted it within minutes of the meet, and she was intercepted by the lead detective agent at the time, my mentor, Ray Jackson.” I state.

“Does she know it was you?” he interrupts again.

I huff at my newest assignment, Jacob. My job is to protect him, his father was caught with some very dangerous people’s money, and they’re after him as a way to collect on the debt. Jackson was clear, entertain him at all costs, and keep him safe, of course.

“Yes. She does. Every year on the anniversary she sends me a card.” I smile.

“Have you ever met her and actually spoken with her?” he shoots out.

“No.” I say instantly. “She’s too dangerous.” But I don’t completely believe it as I speak.

Charlotte’s POV
Rotting in Jail.


“Come on Reeves. Get up.” The voice is faint. I know my plan will work. It has to work. “Reeves.” The guard repeats.

My body is frozen, even if I wanted to respond I couldn’t, and I recall that I have to thank my friend and inside guy, as it were. Essentially I just held him for ransom. I told him I was pregnant, and to keep quiet I told him what I wanted.

He didn’t disappoint.

I hear the door open as the medication begins to take complete effect and I can’t even bring myself to breathe anymore.

My eyes drift shut of their own response and I let my surroundings drift away.

&&&

I feel a pinch in my arm and I wake up instantly, like cold water over my face. I sit upright, tightness in my muscles that wasn’t there when I fell asleep.

“Am I done now, you won’t tell anyone?” he’s still in his guard uniform, his shirt is unbuttoned, his hair is unorganized.

“I won’t mail the letter of proof, or have it mailed by anyone else, to the warden or the police or any law enforcement officer.” I move off of the cold slab, taking the sheet with me as my only cover. I hold it with one hand and put the other on his cheek. “Thank you, Jack, truly.” I kiss him softly on the lips and move from the dark morgue, into the lit hallway and down towards the door leading to back alley way where a car and clothes will be waiting for me. I open the door and slide into the sleek black car that belongs to a man who makes ID’s. His name is Bobby, and the only reason I’m with him is that he owes me, and he doesn’t know my plan, so when I turn him in as soon as I’m clear of the prison, he won’t be able to tell them anything.

“Charlotte.” He smiles, putting the car in drive and pulling off.

“Bobby.” I murmur. I remove the sheet from my body and he hands me underwear and a bra, once I’ve got those on he hands me a small black dress and black heels. I put everything on and fluff my hair. He pulls towards the prison gates and I relax into the black leather of the car, knowing the window tint is too dark to see, and they won’t ask him anything because he visits his guard-girlfriend here frequently and they trust him.

It was just too convenient to use him.

We clear the gate and he pulls off to the side of the road at an abandoned gas station and garage that was once my mentor’s safe house. “Thank you Bobby.” I whisper. He hands me a cell phone.

“We’re even now, right? You forgive me?” he asks.

I nod, “Sure.” I get out of the car and move around the safe house to the attached garage. I kick the lock with enough force to break the rusted metal and then lift the door. I move inside the darkness of the sunset and grip the sheet covering the largest object in the room. My fist clenches the fabric as I smile wildly to myself, ripping the sheet back and throwing it away from me. The white paint of my precious car sparkles even in the darkness. I move towards the driver’s side and open the unlocked door, slipping inside and pulling the keys from the glove compartment.

Attached to my key ring is a note at the end of a string, my mentor’s legacy, left completely to me.

In his nearly unreadable scroll on a piece of old parchment used in forging a certain French Bond, he’s written two words. Solla Sollew.

I lean back in the car, clutching the paper, wondering what exactly happened when his violent past finally caught up with him. Before the tears can spring to my eyes I click the lock button on the iPhone that Bobby gave me and call a number I’d memorized a long time ago.