Like Doves

One Shot

I loved watching her as she slept. The curve of her protruding belly. The soft flutters, barely visible as the tiny feet of my unborn daughter kicked away from the inside. There was a glow—an aura—around my wife. I didn’t know what it was, but the attraction to her was inexplicably deeper from the moment that we conceived our little girl.

Avery Chanel Baker—I could hardly wait to meet her. The name that we picked out was simply perfect. I had always wanted to be a rockstar. Young, wild, free. But the moment we found out that Layla was pregnant with Avery, everything had changed.

I wanted nothing more than to raise my daughter and spend every lasting moment with my family. I could envision our little girl sprinting across our lawn, showing us somersaults and cartwheels. We’d have a beautiful home, the front porch welcoming us with a sign that read ‘The Bakers’. Our dogs Jax and Prince running rampant with Avery.

It was all a dream. A dream that has vanished. A dream taken from me by a man too inebriated to be behind any type of wheel. And here I am as I say goodbye to my beloved Layla and my precious unborn Avery as their caskets are lowered. I look up and at that moment feel their souls send off like doves into the rich orange sky. As I looked towards the clouds, I could hear Layla's voice brush my ear.

"Zacky, we're free."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! I'm feeling a bit creative but don't want to commit to a full story just yet. Trying to avoid writer's block and then stopping a story half-through. Please comment and recommend! I am going to be doing tons more short stories. Thanks!