Lips of Deceit

One Shot

James ran like a wild child throughout the house with his cape on his back and superhero sound effects coming from his mouth. Three-year-olds make excellent imaginary superheroes. My black cat, Demi, sat on my lap and purred away in contentment as she napped. I admired James. I could only wish to be so happy and free once again. Not a care in the world other than food, play, and love.

I flicked through the channels on my 60-inch plasma television, a glass of rum and coke in hand. Nothing could catch my attention. I had sobbed multiple times throughout the day, and then rapidly became angry. It was a vicious cycle. I tried reading a book that I was once interested but to no avail. From the time I woke up until this very point, I had drunk more than half a bottle of Sailor Jerry’s. All I could think about was the letter. The letter that I found from Candace on the kitchen countertop this morning was haunting me.

“Brian,

I’m sorry I have to do this, but I just can’t stand this. I don’t love you anymore and I haven’t for a very long time. I’ve been having an affair…you don’t know him. I’m really happy with him and he makes me feel amazing. I just feel trapped with you. Being with you makes me miserable. You made me a mom at 19 years old and I just wasn’t ready yet. You insisted that we keep him and I knew I wasn’t ready! You and I never had fun together…every day when I would wake up I would wonder what it was that we would fight about today. You’ve crossed the line several times with the way you grab me when you’re angry. We’re not meant to be. I really used to love you. Don’t think that this is just some change of heart.

I’m having a lot of fun with my new love interest and I finally feel like I am finding myself again. I’m sorry and I sincerely hope that you and James forgive me.

Please take care of him. That’s my only hope.

Candace.”


I simply couldn’t believe it. I knew that our relationship was rough, but I was foolish to think that just because we had been together for four years that our relationship was invincible. It wasn’t. It was damaged.

She had become pregnant very shortly after we met. We met at an Avenged Sevenfold show in San Bernardino. She and her friend had all access passes from an opening band whom they were friends with. She came on very strongly from the beginning although she had a boyfriend. Never would I have thought that she would put me in the same position. We had sex backstage that night and a couple more times in my hotel room over the next couple of days until I had to take off to our next show in Las Vegas. I kept in contact with her and we hooked up several times after the tour was over. I set out for another tour and nearly two weeks in I got the phone call that would change my life. I was going to be a dad.

But today is a new story. She's gone. She left us. I'm on my own. Me and James are on our own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who has read this! Please comment and subscribe if you want more. I'm attempting to build a collection of short stories and one shots on top of my full stories. Trying to spark my creativity. Depending on the reactions I get from these one-shots, I may turn them into full stories! Let me know what you guys think! Cheers.