Status: Updates Every Friday

Something Reckless

Logan

I scrunched up my face at Luke talking to some girl across the field and decided to ignore him. He had called me a few times in the weeks that had passed since I last saw him, but I just sent him a text that said I was sorry. Not that he believed that. I just knew that if I had agreed to meet up with him to explain in person I wouldn’t be able to walk away. I needed to walk away.

I went through the usual graduation traditions. I went up and got my bachelor’s degree (unofficial because they mailed the good copy to you), smiled for my Mom, Dad, and Maisy and threw my hat in the air once we were announced as official graduates. I was so proud of myself for making it this far; especially since I didn’t feel like I was going to make it through final exams. I was officially allowed to be employed at the clinic and I was officially allowed to move wherever the heck I wanted… after the next five-and-a-bit months at least.

“Congrats, Kid.” My Dad said as I reached my family on the field after the ceremony. I gave everyone a hug and admired Maisy’s dress out loud. She smiled and gave me another hug.

“So what’s on the agenda for tonight?” I asked, giving Maisy’s butt a kick. She squealed and moved away laughing.

“Dinner.” Maisy said, dramatically. “I need food in ma belly.”

“You’re like a bottomless pit.” My Dad shouted playfully. Maisy stuck her tongue out at him. “We were thinking we could do Montana’s for wings and drinks?” He voiced it as a question and I liked that I got this choice tonight.

“Sounds good to me. Maisy can’t drink though, hah!” I winked at her as she rolled her eyes.

“Legally.” She said, shrugging. “Doesn’t mean I don’t.”

“Yeah? What do you drink then?” Dad said, nudging her playfully.

“Same as Logan, Forty Creek.” My dad’s face turned from shocked to approval.

“That’s my girl.” We all laughed, even my Mom who wasn’t always the biggest fan of letting her kids drink underage. Maisy was 17 though and in two very short years she would be legal.

We got to Montana’s in less than twenty minutes and were seated. There were a few other families from the ceremony here as well and I dreaded running into Luke. I looked through the menu even though I knew what I was getting already in case I changed my mind, which I never did.

“Where’s Reid?” I asked Maisy, who had her menu sitting underneath her crossed hands across the table from me. I had found out a little more about her boyfriend after she and I talked a bit, like his name, he had gorgeous brown eyes, and they met at the Fall festival. Friends first, of course. “I still have yet to meet him.” She shrugged.

“He couldn’t make it.” She said, nonchalantly.

“Oh.” I said, looking at my parents skeptically. “Well then we should go on a double date then.” I immediately regretted that suggestion.

“You have a boyfriend?” She asked, her eyebrow raising. My parents were suddenly more interested in the conversation then they had been.

“Actually no. But I’m sure I could find one for the night.” I said, desperately trying to change the conversation from me and any sort of boyfriend.

“Excuse me?” My Mom said, ten times more invested in this conversation than she had been ten seconds ago.

“It’s called dating, Mom.” Maisy said, rolling her eyes playfully.

“What do you know about dating? You’ve only been doing it for like two seconds.” Wrong choice of words, Mom. I laughed without meaning to and Maisy followed. My Mom rolled her eyes and smirked.

“More than you apparently.” Maisy said, in an effort to be snarky. I nudged her under the table to tell her that was as far as she should take it. She retreated her hands back into her lap just as the waiter walked up to us; his name tag labelled: Ben.

“Hi Ben,” My Dad said, acknowledging Ben as a Ben and not a robot. “I have a question for you.” I looked at my Dad quizzically, unsure of what his next words were going to be.

“Ask away, sir.” Ben answered, politely. His lips turned upward into a half-smile and his skin crinkled a little under his brown eyes.

“Oh god. No sirs.” Dad said, serious but playful. Ben looked uncomfortable and I held back a laugh. My Dad wrapped his arm around me. “My daughter needs a date and you’ve got a job so I assume you’re responsible? Could you-“

“Dad!” I shouted, squirming away from his arm around me. “Excuse him, he has a very annoying way of trying to be funny.” Ben laughed, but only slightly, still visibly uncomfortable. His cheeks had gone red and I was betting mine mirrored them.

“Can I get an order of Buffalo wings with a coke, please?” Maisy said, interrupting my Dad’s laughing fit. I signalled her a look to say thank you. She shrugged to say no problem. Ben wrote down her order and then proceeded around the table until all of us had finished. I apologized to him again as he walked away.

“That was not funny!” I shouted as soon as Ben was out of sight. My Mom laughed at me and I threw my hands in the air.

“It was a little funny.” She said through her laughter. My Dad reached across the table for her hand and she looked at him with warmth. I smiled even though I was still annoyed. Maisy agreed to let me meet her boyfriend but insisted that I did not need to go find a ‘boyfriend-for-the-night’ to do so. My parents relaxed at that idea and I bit my tongue to hold back my annoyance.

“Have you decided what you’re going to do now that school’s over?” My Mom asked, taking the last bite of her last wing.

“I’m going to work at the clinic for a bit until my lease is up and then I’m not sure. I’ve been thinking about moving.” Maisy’s face scrunched up in disapproval, but I ignored her.

“Move where?” Dad chimed in. I shrugged.

“Somewhere not here, I guess.” Mom looked at me condescendingly like I should have thought this through better. “I’ll have it figured out and planned before I actually move, don’t worry.” It’s not like I was going to hop on a train with no destination in mind.

“Well I would hope so.” Dad said, drawing out the ‘so’ in a way that suddenly irritated me.

“Anyway, Elle and I are going out tonight, so I should probably get going right after this.” Everyone shifted in their seats, preparing themselves to get out of the booth. Mom left the money on the table and we left.

“Call me sometime, okay?” Mom said, giving me a hug outside the restaurant. I nodded into her shoulder.

“Thanks for dinner and for coming today. I love you guys.” I said, appreciative of my family. I gave Maisy and Dad a hug before parting ways. I texted Elle to let her know I was on my way home and got a text back almost immediately telling me to hurry up.

I didn’t know exactly how Elle was feeling, but I was definitely ready to get loaded. Especially in celebration of finally getting my bachelors.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay in updates. I just had two weeks of exams and assignments that needed way more of my attention than I was mentally prepared for, lol. Anyway, I have started a bullet journal/planner to keep myself accountable and I have added a slot for mibba. Updates should be fairly regular now; every Thursday. Unless, of course, I have another week as hectic as last week. I may also post more than once a week, but for right now my schedule is aiming for a chapter every Thursday.

Sorry this chapter wasn't as eventful, but I wanted to write a bit more with Logan and her family. Hope you liked it.

Comment/Subscribe.
As always, feedback is appreciated.