Status: Updates Every Friday

Something Reckless

Luke

“I can’t believe you won’t sing with me.” I turned my head to my unapologetically loud sister sitting beside me at the bar. Her green eyes squinted at me above her glass of rum and coke as she took the last sip. The bartender, a tall and annoyingly confident guy, handed her another before she could even raise her hand to ask. She tipped him half of her drink cost and gave him a wink.

“I don’t know why this is so unbelievable to you, it’s not like I’m your brother or anything.” I spat sarcastically. She stuck her tongue out at me. “Mature.” I responded.

“Brothers who love their sisters are supposed to do things with them when they ask.” I took a sip of my beer and rolled my eyes at her.

“I don’t think that’s a rule.” I said, taking another sip. “Why did we come to a karaoke bar anyway?” She looked at me like I had two heads. I shrugged.

“To sing, genius.” Oh for god’s sake.

“Well I’m not, but I will be happy to record you while you embarrass yourself horribly.” This time she rolled her eyes.

“What do you want to do then?” She said, practically slamming her drink on the table. I had irritated her. Mission accomplished. We did it to each other and yet we continued to hangout all the time. I couldn’t tell you what was wrong with us.

“I just want to hangout, Embry.”

“You used to be way more fun.” She downed the rest of her drink and stood up, flattening her fitted black dress I knew she wore to impress guys just like annoyingly confident bartender dude.

“Yeah well, I’d probably still be way more fun if you know, I hadn’t lost my leg.” She rolled her eyes and kept them at the back of her head for a second longer than normal.

“Oh, shut up, Luke.” I laughed. “Your leg does not inhibit you from singing or having fun in general. You are just trying to pity me into not making you sing.” I shrugged, smirking.

“Well is it working?” I leaned back in my chair to crack my back as she contemplated her answer.

“Um… no.” She said, grabbing my hand. “I don’t pity you. Now you have to sing.” As soon as I stood up, she raised her hands in the air and began clapping her way through the people. I groaned.

“Move it, everyone. It’s time for a sibling duet.” Some people smiled at us, others grew irritated quickly, but that was just the charm of Embry. You either loved her energy or you hated it. I didn’t understand why you would come to a karaoke bar if you didn’t love outgoing people. Though, I guess I hadn’t voluntarily chosen this place.

I watched her walk up to the DJ and shout a song to him. A girl beside me offered me a shot while I was waiting and I wasn’t about to turn that down so I gave her a wink and took the shot before Embry grabbed me by the hand and dragged me up to the stage. I looked out to the crowd and realized not a single person gave a fuck about what we were singing because not a single person was even looking at us.

I heard the beginning notes of the song and looked over at Embry who smirked at me. “Oh god, no.” She threw her head back and laughed before belting out the first line of Summer Nights from Grease. She had made me watch that movie a hundred times with her and I would honestly be okay if I never heard the tune again. And of course, she decided it would be funnier if she sang the guys’ part and of course, I thought it was hilarious.

“I met a girl, crazy for me.” She sang, leaning her shoulder into me. I flipped my hand out in the air and put on my brightest smile.

“Met a boy, cute as can be.” A few people turned their heads and nodded like they thought it was funny but weren’t sure if they wanted to admit it yet. We continued the song, with Embry getting down on her knees and gesturing to me and me occasionally pretending to shrug her off. We ended with a jumping high five and at least ten people clapped for us before we got off stage. I looked at her smugly.

“See, that was fun!” She said, linking my arm. “So what can you do for me now, big brother… let’s see.” I rolled my eyes as we walked through the bar. The girl who handed me a shot earlier gestured for me to come over. I pointed at my sister and shrugged like there was no way I could get out of it. She would run as soon as she noticed my leg anyway. “How about you come to grandpa’s tomorrow night for dinner.” We ducked out into the back ally behind the bar and I pulled away from her.

“Why?” I asked, my mouth suddenly sour. She rolled her eyes at me.

“And here I thought I was going to get through this conversation without a fight.” She pulled out a cigarette and lit it, offering me a drag. I raised my hand in protest so she took the drag herself.

“Grandpa doesn’t want me to come to dinner, Embry. I can guarantee you that one.” She blew the smoke out and pointed her finger at my chest.

“Yeah, because he still thinks you haven’t learned anything from your accident. If you come and tell him what you’ve been doing, all the talks you’ve been doing, I bet he’d come around.” I shook my head.

“Some things just can’t be forced.” She looked around, her eyes landing on the bartender from before. I sighed.

“Look Luke, I love you but you have got to start mending broken fences. They aren’t going to do them themselves. Now I’m going to go hit up cute bartender guy and I will see tomorrow at dinner.” She took another drag and then put the cigarette out with her stiletto.

“Don’t count on it.” I shouted but she just waved her hand dismissively like she knew I would be there. Why do I have to mend all the fences? I wasn’t going to mend all the fences in my family, screw that.

Damn it. I thought. I am going to go mend fences at dinner tomorrow.

I turned around and waved for a cab, trying to get my leg to move as fast as I wanted it to to be able to reach the one that pulled up before somebody else grabbed it. A blonde girl swept in front of me and got in, her hand wavering over the edge of the door as she turned to me and smiled. It was shot girl. I scratched behind my head, not sure whether to be annoyed or not.

“Where you heading? I’m not opposed to sharing.” I looked over at the cab driver who was typing something on his phone, probably used to having to pick up strangers who just wanted to hookup all the time. I immediately thought of Logan.

“Have a good night.” I said, as I began turning around. I felt her hand catch mine and slip something into it. I looked down at a number with the name Zoey written above it and raised my eyebrow at her.

“If you change your mind.” I smirked and nodded, turning away from her and the cab now. When I was sure she had driven off I waved over another cab, but this time made sure I was already at the curb so nobody could snag it from me.

I got home and stripped down to boxers. I removed my leg and massaged the place where it had been strapped in. I had gotten used to the feeling long ago, but sometimes when I didn’t give myself enough breaks it liked to remind me that I was supposed to be. I got into bed and called Logan. I didn’t have to and she wasn’t expecting me to, but I wanted to hear her voice. She picked up on the second ring, her voice groggy.

“Shit, I woke you up. Don’t worry, go back to sleep, I’ll see you… around.” I said, panicked. My heart was racing and I wasn’t sure how to make it stop. I was used to calling girls all the time. The action of doing it came naturally, but with Logan, I realized that maybe it would be better if I thought of something to talk about before I called her and woke her up in the middle of the night.

“Luke?” I stopped breathing. All she did was say my name. I’m a fucking moron.

“Hi.” I wiped the bead of sweat off my forehead and ran my hand through my hair.

“Is everything okay?” What? I was happy she wasn’t here to see the confusion on my face. She thought I was calling her at midnight because something was wrong?

“Oh, yeah. I just, um. I guess I just wanted to ugh…” hear your voice. Like a creep. I’m a creep. “you know what? I shouldn’t have called you so late. I’ll talk to you later.” I hung up the phone quickly and threw it across the bed. What was wrong with me? I felt so confident about my decision to call her until she actually picked up.

I sat on the bed laughing at myself until I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment/Subscribe <3
Feedback appreciated.