Perfection of Destiny

Chapter Four

August 19th, 2015
“You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep rereading the last one.” -unknown

Rebekah sauntered into the coffee shop on a bright Wednesday morning and got in line for her daily donut and latte. She had awoken this morning feeling better than she had in awhile. Lately, she had become more and more numb to everything, spending far  too much time moping over the past, but today was different. Today was going okay, at least so far. She had a few jobs she had to do, but other than that, she was determined to enjoy the sunny day.

She picked up her coffee, after having to send it back for the barista to add the caramel she had specifically asked for. Rebekah pulled a five dollar bill out of her bra and handed it to the barista. She thanked them for their insolence, turned away dramatically, and strode in the direction of the tables next to the windows with a great view. She felt someone watching her and her eyes were instantaneously drawn to an beautiful girl sitting alone at a table by the wide window.

Making eye contact, Rebekah smirked and walked towards her. She had the sexiest red hair and the most compelling face with glowing, green eyes to match. There were layer after layer of adorable freckles sprinkled over her nose. Not to mention her marvelous body that could be envisioned from under her tight, black t-shirt that read “Nobody knows I’m a lesbian.” in large font. Rebekah held in her laughter and continued to admire the girl’s attire. She was wearing dark skinny-jeans that Rebekah could almost guarantee accentuated her butt nicely. She had a thin, silvery band around her wrist. To top it all off, she was wearing a leather jacket that gave her a kind of edge. Rebekah flashed her most mesmerizing grin at her.

“Love your bracelet,” she said. The redheaded girl had been playing with the rim of her coffee cup, but not drinking it. Blushing slightly, the girl smiled at Rebekah.

“Hi,” she said shyly. When she finally realized what the girl had said, she internally cursed her social awkwardness. “Oh, uh, thanks.”

“Mind if I sit with you? You see, I am all alone this morning and I feel the need for some company.” Rebekah smirked at the adorable girl sitting in front of her. The girl’s face reddened again.

“This seat is empty,” she said, nodding to the chair across from her. Rebekah sat down gracefully, crossing her cheetah print clad legs, and started sipping her coffee delicately. Taking in the gorgeous girl’s appearance, she cocked her head.

“What’s your name?” The girl noticeably checked Rebekah out in a terribly adorable, timid way. This successfully made Rebekah’s heart go pitter patter.

“Amira,” she replied softly. “And yours?”

“Rebekah, but some call me Winnie.” She grinned lazily and continued to sip her coffee. Amira continued to play with the rim of her coffee cup.

“I love your name, but why do people call you Winnie if your name is Rebekah?” Amira said. Rebekah chuckled.

“My last name is Bronwyn, so people have just taken to calling me that as a nickname, I suppose.” She paused and wiggled her perfectly arched eyebrows mischievously. “Do you have any nicknames I should know about?”

“Nope, just Amira. It sounds like a-mirror, but, uh, I promise that’s not what it means.” She looked to the window out of embarrassment. She couldn’t believe that just came out of her mouth. Soon the beautiful woman in front of her would awkwardly leave because of Amira;s obvious social ineptness. Rebekah giggled at that.

“Well, that’s a lovely name. Amira. I quite like that. I don’t know that I’ve heard a name like that before,” Rebekah said.

“Well, thank you.” Amira smiled and decided she’d try her hand at flirting to make up for the previous embarrassment. “Do you come here often? I don’t recall seeing you here before. And I would, you know, recall seeing you here.”

“I used to go to that little cafe that was shut down for health reasons or something of the sort.” Rebekah waved it off with an indifferent, perfectly manicured hand and sighed dramatically. “Anyway, I just started coming here. What about you?” She continued sipping her coffee and gazing at Amira with interest.

“Yeah. I heard about them,” she paused thoughtfully. “They found roaches in the coffee beans or something. Gross!” She made a face of revulsion, making Rebekah smile. “I’ve been coming here for months now. I just moved to town not too long ago.” Amira looked from Rebekah to her cup of coffee.
She didn’t feel the need to share that she had just moved here because she was hunted down and out of her old town. Hunters have been after her family for as long as she could remember. She can still remember the old “bedtime” stories that her mother would tell her as a child. They always talked about the dangerous hunters who killed innocent fox for sport and pleasure. It wasn’t until she was 13 that she realized she was the fox, and she was being hunted.

Amira looked up and left her entrancing thoughts. Rebekah nodded her head in agreement. She had spent a lot of time recuperating there, sometimes with Marcus. She had needed him in her life more and more these days. She felt lonely without him. Thankfully, he was more than willing to help her through these difficult years, even if she wasn’t able to be completely honest with him about everything.

“That is extraordinarily disgusting. Considering I drank that coffee daily for over two years.” She wrinkled her nose in disgust. “Where did you move from?” Amira looked around uncomfortably. She wasn’t sure if she should tell the truth or not. So instead, she lied.

“I’m from Iowa,” she said. Rebekah could sense the hesitation in Amira’s voice. She had always been good at reading people. It was something one picked up on more and more the older you got. She wasn’t telling her everything and was clearly uncomfortable talking about the topic. She understood and decided not to push.

“I’ve been there before with a friend of mine. We had a fabulous time. So how are you liking it here in New York? Do you like the big city?” she said. Relieved that Rebekah apparently bought her lie, Amira pretended like she knew what she was talking about.

“Yeah. It was a great place. As for New York; it’s nice as long as you overlook the rude strangers on the street, people who are constantly stealing your taxis, and all of the exhaust fumes,” Amira said.

“Maybe you just haven’t met the right people or been to the right places yet,” Rebekah hummed. She could feel a strange attraction to this girl and she couldn’t figure out why. It was much more than physical attraction. In fact, what she wanted more than anything right now was to get to know this intriguing and beautiful girl. Amira’s pale face quickly turned scarlet when she, once again, took in how beautiful Rebekah was. How was it someone so spectacular and special chose to sat here, with Amira. She couldn’t be a hunter, right? That thought was mildly troubling. Amira couldn’t exactly say she could trust very easily considering her circumstances. She looked at Rebekah and decided she would risk it.

“Yeah, you’re right. I probably haven’t. So what about you? Where are you from?” she said.

“I was born in Norway, but I like to think I am from everywhere and nowhere all at once.” Rebekah went to sip her coffee, only to realize that both her coffee and donut were gone. She strutted over to the trash container closest to them and threw away her empty cup and dirty napkin. “Do you not like coffee?” Rebekah asked as she sat back down on the white, wiry chair with grace. Amira looked down at her full cup, and then back at Rebekah.

“No, not really. They just threaten to kick me out if I don’t buy something.” Rebekah felt a sense of Mystic in this girl. She wasn’t completely sure, but something seemed special about her. What if Amira wasn’t a human? What if she was a warlock or something else completely?

“So how old are you? You look young enough to be in high school,” Rebekah said.

”Yeah. I kind of skipped today; didn’t feel like going. Oh, and uh, I’ll be 18 in February . And you?” Amira looked around.

“Oh, a Valentine’s baby, hm? I’m twenty,” Rebekah said. “Why’d you skip? If you don’t mind my asking.” She gave a questioning look. Maybe Amira was a human. Or a really talented actress. It wasn’t as if Rebekah hadn’t been fooled before, but she knew when it happened now. She’d not let herself be made a fool of again.

“Uh, well, I just decided I wasn’t in the mood,” Amira replied to her question. Her short answer implied there was much more that the girl wasn’t telling her.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to pry. I guess you’re just extremely interesting; you intrigue me,” she said. Amira smiled softly and looked up at the other before her.

“It’s okay. You intrigue me, too.” She trailed off and paused. “Sorry that I don’t ask many questions. I’m not a very talkative person. Do you go to school?”

“Oh, I’ve noticed.” Rebekah smiled a little confused at the endearing girl sitting with her. It had been a long time since anyone had made Rebekah feel like this. That wasn’t to say this was destiny, meeting Amira, or them suddenly being in love, or anything irrational like that. She didn’t believe in destiny. Not now. That naive had been stripped from her core along with her heart. For a long time she wouldn’t even be thinking about the cute things anyone did, only how someone could be in bed. She hadn’t wanted anything else. Rather she believed she truly didn’t deserve anything else, anything real. Maybe she believed it just didn’t exist. And now she sat here with this woman and felt the closest to the cliche butterflies she’d felt in a century and she was rightfully confused.

Amira noticed something was different about this woman. She could sense that she wasn’t human. It was a strong feeling in the pit of her stomach. Of course, she didn’t mind; she wasn’t human either. She couldn’t help smiling up at the other. Amira hadn’t really felt this way with anyone so soon, or at all, she guessed. She had this need to get to know the other woman. Suddenly, a unique itching sensation crept up her arm. That only meant one thing: her powers were starting to flare up. She started to panic because she wasn’t experienced enough to control them.

“I’ll, uh, be right back. Too much coffee,” Amira rambled as she got up out of the chair, awkwardly kicking it in the process. Amira ran to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Her face was flushed and she was starting to sweat. White sparks shot from her fingertips. She took a deep breath and ran into a stall. She slammed the door and locked it. Sitting on the toilet seat, she hoped that it would all just go away.

Rebekah was dumbfounded for a moment. She debated whether or not to follow Amira to make sure she was okay. She decided that might seem creepy, so she continued to sit and wait for Amira to return.
 

From in the disgusting bathroom stall, Amira heard someone walk in the bathroom. She promptly tried to contain herself, trying to force herself not to make a lot of noise. The last thing she wanted was for someone to find her like this. She heard heavy footsteps walk slowly and she held her breath. The next thing she knew, the stall doors were being slammed open. She jumped, gasped slightly, and swiftly moved her hand over her tightly closed mouth. She heard a few more doors slam open until she saw the clunky, brown boots stop at her stall. Trying to hold in her muffled cries. The door opened swiftly and a man with white hair stood before her. He wore a brown trenchcoat that proudly showed off his mark that Amira had seen before. It was kind of a bunch of swirls interconnecting into a circle. She had no idea what it was, but it was familiar. Other hunters had the, at some points. He had wrinkles indented in his face mixed with what looked like scars. His smile sent shivers down her spine. Amira tried desperately to compose herself.

“Excuse me. This stall is kind of taken at the moment.” she said, attempting to sound sassy, but her voice shook out of fear and he knew it.

“Amira Lane?” he asked in a deep, raspy voice.

“Uh, yes?” she said. She repositioned herself on the seat and got ready to pounce on the old man if she needed to. He grinned even wider. Amira watched him, confused when she felt a burst of pain course through her temple and a flash of light before her eyes. All she could feel was pain coursing through her body as everything faded from her vision.
 

Rebekah decided that it simply did not take twelve minutes to pee. Wanting to be sure Amira was okay, she stood and went into the bathroom. She called for Amira many times until she realized that she wasn’t there. Worriedly, she looked in all the stalls and saw a familiar bracelet shimmering on the floor. She leaned down and picked it up. Recognizing it as Amira’s, she did one final check of the stalls to ensure no one was there.

Rebekah ran out of the bathroom and the coffee shop as fast as she could all the way back to her apartment. When she finally reached her apartment, she picked up a large spell book and opened it to a tracking spell. She let down her cloaking spell, with a blue whirlwind of sparks exploding from her fingertips, exposing her exquisite, blue skin, and got to work on the spell. She lit candles and placed Amira’s bracelet on a map of New York City. The bracelet started to move and stopped over an abandoned house in the middle of the countryside. Rebekah threw her cloaking spell up again with another snap of her blue fingers and knew where she had to go next.