Status: active

I Don't Love You

Chapter 1

"There's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him,
I say, stay in there, I'm not going
to let anybody see
you. "


- Bluebird (Charles Bukowski)


There was an ice cold beer clutched in his hand, half empty already, and a lady to his right that had been trying to engage in a conversation about the weather for the last 15 minutes. None of that really mattered, none of that he really acknowledged.

There was only her. Her dancing and laughing and singing along to the cheesy pop songs he knew she’d never admit to liking but secretly sang along to at home when she thought no one was watching. Her and the way her hair that had been perfectly pinned back earlier was now slowly coming undone, strands framing her perfect face that had changed so much and yet so little in all this time.

Her and her all consuming, breathtaking, heart shattering beauty. Her and all the memories of all the feelings that had ever been there and would always be there.

God, he was so screwed.

This was the “I love you” all over again, the Yale visit, the open house. He had honestly thought he had left this part of his past behind. That he was over her. He had tried over and over and it never ended with a happily ever after for him, not with her. Maybe they just weren’t meant to be.

He had really thought he’d learned his lesson and yet here he was staring at her and wondering if he’d ever completely get over her or if he might be doomed to forever be in love with Rory Gilmore.

“ You know if you keep staring at her any longer it’s gonna change from kinda cute to downright creepy, right ?! ” he heard his younger cousin’s voice speak up as she plopped down in the seat to his right, the weather lady had apparently gotten the hint that he was not interested in a conversation with her and had wandered off at some point.

“ What do you know ? Aren’t you busy being edgy, smoking, finding yourself ? “ he replied and gave April little smirk and a friendly shove with his shoulder. She was a peculiar one his cousin, had been since the first time he’d met her but she’d done a lot of growing up over the years and had turned from a strange kid into quite the smart and witty adult, pseudo hippy phase and all.

“ Haha, aren’t you funny, Jess. Seriously though, what’s up with the longing looks ? “

“ Ah you know, just figuring out that I’m still in love with the girl I dated when I was in high school. The girl that made me change into the person I am today. The girl that is the sole reason I became a better person. “ Is what he thought but there was no way in hell Jess would ever talk about his feelings. Ever.

“ Don’t know what you’re talking about. “

“ Sure you don’t. Just sayin’ you could go over there and actually talk to her instead of glaring a hole through her head.”

That he could do, but what would he say ?

“Hey Rory, sorry to interrupt but I just realized that part of me is still madly in love with you. “ ?

“ Oh hi there Rory, been watching you all night wondering if we ever stood a chance, wondering if we still might stand one. Wondering if this could ever be us, getting married and all that. “ ?

Those were the things that were ghosting through his head but he’d be damned if he ever told those to anyone, especially Rory. He’d tried that before, multiple times, and look how that turned out. To be fair one of those times he ran off, but that was only that one time.

No, there really wasn’t anything he could tell her that would change anything about this situation. She had enough on her plate as it was, she was writing a book for god's sake and if anyone knew how stressful and chaotic that time is, it was Jess. The last thing she’d need was him bringing up old feelings and confusion.

“ There’s nothing to talk about. “

“ Okay, James Dean. I know that whole repressing your emotions deal runs in the family and works well with the grumpy mysterious guy image you’re trying to maintain but that needs to stop. You’re clearly still into this girl and I’m not gonna sit here and watch you throw away what might be your last shot at your epic love story. “

“ Oh Jesus when did you start getting so corny. Does Lorelei make you watch 80s romcoms when you’re over at their place ? Does Luke know she’s doing this to you ? “

“ Jess, I’m serious. Sometimes you gotta fight for the things you want. “

For the first time in a while Jess left his gaze drift from Rory and turned towards his cousin.

“ I’m 33 years old, April. I’m done fighting over girls, fighting for girls. Things either work out or they don’t and they obviously didn’t for me and her. “

“ But what if you’re her Luke ? “

“ What if I’m not ? What if I don’t want to be ? I don’t want her to settle for me after years and years of trying. I want to be a conscious decision. For once in my life I want someone to chose me. Not because of a feeling of guilt or nostalgia or comfort or because they feel like they owe me or because they feel responsible. I’m done with this. I can’t do it all over again. “

A silence settled upon them as neither of them really knew where those words had suddenly come from. If there was one thing you didn’t except from Jess Mariano it was as sudden outburst of honest emotions.

“ Okay. “

“ Okay ? “

“ Okay, I get it. I didn’t mean to push you to do something you don’t want to do. I just wanted to help. I want you to be happy. “

“ I am happy. “

“ Are you ? “

Was he ? Yeah. Sure. Truncheon was going well, he liked his job, liked his coworkers, his friends. He had his own little apartment & his own car. He was in the process of coming up with ideas for a second book. He wasn’t particularly phased by the fact that he’d been single for a while now either. Whenever he felt like it Jess had no problem sweet talking a girl at a bar. Girls, he had found out a while ago, were totally into the broody writer persona.

Was he truly happy though ? He didn’t know.

“ Yeah. “

“ Okay. “

“ Look, April. You know I’m not big on the whole family reunion stuff, especially here in Stars Hollow where half the population still holds a grudge against me. I came for Luke but he and Lorelei ran off a while ago so there’s really no harm in me leaving too, right ? “

It was the truth, Jess wasn’t particularly thrilled about returning to the Connecticut town he’d spend some time in as a teenager, but there was no way in hell he could’ve said no to Luke. The man had done more for him than anyone in his entire life, his mom included. He’d been one of the few who’d believed in him when even Jess himself had almost lost hope that he’d ever amount to something. He owed Luke so much and showing up to his wedding was the least he could do.

“ You’ve been drinking. “

“ Last bus is leaving in 20 minutes. “

“ To Philly ? That’s a long ass drive, Jess. Are you sure you don’t wanna crash at the apartment above Luke’s and leave tomorrow ? “

“ I got a book with me, it’ll be fine. No offense April, but if I don’t leave now I’m just getting sucked back into things that I should’ve left behind a long time ago.”

“ What about your car ? “

“ I was thinking, maybe my favorite cousin would like to come visit me in Philadelphia before she goes back home, and maybe she could bring my car with her? “

April stared at him for a moment and Jess could see the gears turning in her head, trying to come up with an idea to get him to stay. His mind was made up though, if he’d stay he’d have to get drunk and if there was one place Jess Mariano didn’t want be drunk at, it was the town center of Stars Hollow with his ex girlfriend in close proximity.

“ Alright “ April said and let out a defeated sigh “ Be careful and don’t talk to any sleazy looking guys. “

“ Yeah okay, mom. “ Jess replied and took a last sip on his now empty bottle of beer.

As he got up off the chair, Jess’ glance wandered back over to Rory. He could go after her, fight for her, show her the man he was today and how this was all for her. He could. But he didn’t. Because he was scared ? Maybe. But also because he was just tired. Tired of running after the same girl over and over again. Always failing.

“ Just so you know, I don’t think you’re doing the right thing. Just running from your emotions. “
April spoke up.

“ Well cousin, I don’t think you’re doing the right thing getting your nose pierced and acting like a pothead when they could probably sell you oregano without you noticing. Yet here I am, accepting your decisions. “

“ You’re an ass. “ April responded as a small smirk tugged at the corners of her lips.

“ That’s family. Thought you’d be used to that by now. Seriously though, don’t worry about me kid. “

“ That’s family, Jess. We always worry. Thought you’d be used to that by now “ She replied with a smile before walking away, back into the sea of Stars Hollow residents that were singing and dancing to some obscure 90s popsong.

This family, his family, was quite honestly a mess. It was a family though, something he hadn’t had for the longest time. And no matter how strange or broken over overly intrusive or annoying they were, they meant the world to him. Because they were his people and to them, to Luke and April he was a conscious decision. It was their decision to care and to worry and
Sometimes you gotta admit defeat.

With one last look towards Rory, the girl that changed it all, Jess turned his back towards the gazebo covered in dozens of fairy lights and the quirky town that surrounded it and took on the walk towards the bus stop. Maybe April was right and he was just running from his emotions and his crippling fear of rejection. But so what ? Sometimes you gotta let yourself be scared to save yourself from pain.

Sometimes you gotta run.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jess Mariano has been my favorite fictional character since I first saw him on Gilmore Girls and I always wanted to write a story about him finding the love her truly deserved. Once the netflix revival gave him that horrible, super cliché and just utterly dumb ending my urge to write this got even worse.

So here it is. Chapter 1, where nothing really happens but I still hope you guys will let me know what you think and stay with me for the actual story.

My name is Jo and I hope you'll enjoy this story.