The Story of Erin and Andy (Samberg)

Chapter 4

The next day, Erin was just finishing an essay for English, her best subject, when someone knocked on her door.

'Come in.' Erin said.

Andy entered and sat down next to her.

'Hi Andy.' She said, not looking up from her paper.

'Hi, I just wanted to say how great you were yesterday.' He said.

'Thank you.' Erin replied.

'You know, if you ever want to make that a series, I could talk to Bill and Amy,' Andy said. 'If the skit is a hit, which it will be, we could make it into a regular show.'

'That would be fun.' Erin said as she wrote her last sentence. 'Read this. It's a report for English on Abraham Lincoln, my history teacher said I could get extra credit if she liked it.'

She handed her paper to Andy and continued talking as he read it. 'Did I ever tell you about the movie I made?'

'No.' Andy replied. 'Is it rated "R"?' He added smiling

'PG 13, drugs are mentioned.' Erin said. 'It was titled "Pink Unicorns" and I wrote, directed, and starred in it. There were three of us in it and 13 characters. Actually we had two other people with minor parts, so there were 5 of us. I have it on DVD; there are only three copies of this. The outtakes are the best part of the movie. It's only about half an hour long if you wanted to watch it.'

'That would be awesome.' Andy said giving her report back to her. 'I really liked you report, Lincoln's a pretty cool dude.'

'He is, that's why I chose him.' Erin said putting the DVD into her computer. 'Why don't we turn off the lights so it's easier to see.' She said turning off the lights. She sat down and pressed play.

As the movie started Erin moved closer to Andy. About halfway through the movie she rested her head on his shoulder, and by the end of the movie they were holding hands. The movie ended and they sat there for a few minutes.

'Um,' Erin said sitting up. 'Would you like to watch the outtakes?'

'Sure.' Andy said. 'That was a really great movie.'

As they watched the special features, which included interviews with the cast, directors and writer, Erin gravitated towards Andy and found herself leaning on his shoulder and holding his hand again.

At the end of the movie, Erin realized what she was doing and sat up.

'Oh my word.' She said. 'I, I didn't even realize I was, I mean, I didn't mean to, um.'

'It's okay,' Andy said. 'I didn't mind.'

There was a knock at the door and Erin said, 'Come in.'

Bill walked in and said to Andy, 'Could we have a minute alone?'

'Sure.' Andy said and he got up and left. Bill sat down and said, 'Erin, my wife just called me. She's pregnant.'

'Oh, congratulations!' Erin said.

'Thanks,' He said. 'But, as much as I like you, I think it's time we ended this. I couldn't do that to my wife, I have more responsibilities now. I'm sorry, I can't continue this.'

After a long pause, Erin finally said, 'Can we still be friends?' A single tear rolled down Erin's face.

'Of course.' Bill said. 'Don't cry.' He said hugging her.

'Was it planned?' Erin asked, wondering if her relationship with Bill had something to do with it.

'Um, kind of.' Bill replied. 'It surprised me, but I'm okay with it.'

Andy opened the door and stuck his head in and said, 'Are you done?'

'Yeah.' Bill said getting up as Andy came in and sat down.

'Bill's having a baby!' Erin said excitedly to Andy.

'Really?' Andy said. 'The first man to have a baby. When is it due?'

'September.' Bill replied.

'Do you know what you want to name it?' Andy asked.

'No, I haven't thought about it much.' He replied.

'If it's a boy don't name it Chad.' Erin said

'Why is that?' Bill asked.

'That's my dad's name.' Erin replied.

'Oh, yeah I won't name him that.' Bill said as he left. As soon as the door clicked shut a wave of emotion washed over Erin and she burst out in tears. Andy sat down next to her to comfort her.

'He's gone!' She wailed. 'He's the second guy to leave me; first my dad, now Bill.' She cried some more and then added, 'I hate men.'

'You shouldn't hate all men.' Andy said defensively.

'Not you Andy,' She said. 'You would never hurt me like that.'

'No, I wouldn't.' She said and cried into his shoulder.

Friday afternoon was hectic, as usual, costumes were made and lines were changed. Erin vowed not to show that what Bill had said had bothered her. She was getting into costume for rehearsal as Andy came by to talk to her.

'Are you okay?' Andy asked.

'Yeah, I guess.' Erin replied.

'You look great in headgear.' Andy said.

'Thanks.' Erin replied. 'How are we supposed to make out with this thing. Could we just try before we go onstage and embarrass ourselves?'

'Sure.' Andy said. It was awkward at first, but they got around the headgear.

'Okay, so if you come in from the left it won't get in the way.' Erin said. 'I couldn't imagine wearing this, I had braces for 2 years, I'm lucky I didn't have headgear.'

'I could totally see you in braces, I bet you'd look hot.' Andy joked.

'Thanks.' Erin said.

They went on stage and took their places. As the scene started Erin began to hate Bill, because he played her father. When the scene was over, Lorne took her aside and talked to her.

'Is everything okay?' He asked.

'Kind of.' Erin said. 'It's just hard to pretend to have a dad when I grew up without one. And Bill and I aren't on the best of terms right now, but I can handle it.'

'I'd heard you and Bill were together.' Lorne said.

'We split up Tuesday afternoon.' Erin said, feeling a little embarassed.

'Okay, well as long as you feel up to it, I know it's a lot to ask of you, I do realize you are only 17 and have other engagements.' Lorne said and walked away. 'Why don't we run through it one more time?'

The second time Erin felt that she had done better, and so did Lorne. He talked to her again, but this time he praised her.

'You were absolutely wonderful Erin.' He said. 'I would love to have you as a featured cast member. Think about it.' He added and walked away. Erin stood there staring into space.

'Are you okay?' Andy said walking up to her.

'Lorne offered me a job as a featured cast member.' She said with no emotion, staring straight ahead.

'That's awesome!' Andy said. 'I knew it wouldn't be long before you were acting.'

Erin didn't move, she didn't smile, she just stared directly at Bill. She was thinking of all the fun times they'd had together and everything that'd happened between them. Like the time he picked her up from school and they just went to the mall and hung out. Or when they got Chinese food and pretended to be foreign.

'Erin?' Andy said. 'Are you okay?'

Erin snapped out of it and turned to face him with a smile on her face. 'Yes! I am just great!' She said and walked away.

Andy watched her with confusion and then returned to his dressing room to practice his lines.

Saturday morning, Erin woke up and realized she wasn't at home. She looked around, she knew where she was. She was at Andy's place. This was not the first time she had spent the night here. Sometimes after working late she would just stay there instead of returning home and driving back the next morning. She got up and wandered into the kitchen.

'Andy?' She said looking around the vacant room. 'Is that you?' She said walking through the hallway and realizing she'd been talking to a coat rack. Erin looked around until she found a note on the kitchen table from Andy saying he had gone to the store for breakfast. 'Okay then, I'm all alone.' Erin said. She walked over to the couch and fell on it. She found the remote and turned on the TV. She watched the weather for about ten minutes until Andy came home.

'We didn't have any milk.' He said putting the milk in the refrigerator. 'It's hard to eat cereal without milk.'

'Yeah, I know.' Erin said. 'I accidentally had it with orange juice once, but it tasted gross.'

'Orange juice, really.' Andy said. 'How did you do that?'

'I was at a friends house, we were having Cheerios. We weren't really awake. She started to pour it and then she stopped and started laughing. I looked at the thing and I realized that it was a carton of orange juice and not a milk carton. We thought it was funny.'

Erin got a bowl and poured some cereal in it.

'Another time I was at my friends house and I couldn't find the milk so I used coffee creamer. French vanilla; it was more gross than the orange juice.' Erin poured milk on her cereal and found the spoons and sat down next to Andy.

'It turns out that the milk was next to the refrigerator on the counter.' Erin said laughing. 'I don't know how long it had been there, so it could have been gross.'

'That's pretty funny.' Andy said.

'How did I get here?' Erin finally asked.

'You fell asleep in your office so I brought you back here.' Andy explained.

'Aww, that so sweet of you.' Erin said. 'Do my moms know? I should call them.'

'Yeah, I called them and told them you'd be spending the night here; they trust me.' Andy explained.

Erin finished eating and said, 'What about my clothes? People are going to notice I'm wearing the same clothes as yesterday. I have some in my car, my friend had borrowed them and she gave them back to me at school. I hope she washed them, probably did. Where's my car?'

'I parked it in a parking garage for you.' Andy said.

'You are too nice, Andy.' Erin said. 'How did you get my key's?'

'They were in your purse.' Andy said.

'Oh, right.' Erin smiled. 'What would I do without you?'

'How did you get me from my office to your car?' Erin asked.

'I carried you.' Andy said. 'Bill helped me.'

'You needed help carrying me?' Erin said. 'I weigh like 120 lbs.'

'He opened the doors for me and made sure I didn't hit your head on the door frame.' Andy said. 'It's okay, you're hella light.'

'Hella?' Erin laughed.

'Or as you would say, "wicked"!' Andy said exaggeratedly.

'Thanks,' Erin said sarcastically, then added. 'But really, thank you.'

'It's nothing, glad to help you out.'

After Erin had gotten dressed and re-parked her car, she went to her office. It was then that she remembered what Lorne had said. She ran to his office and found him writing something.

'Lorne!' She said. 'I've thought about what you said and I'm ready to become a cast member.'

'That's wonderful Erin, we already have writers writing skits for you; you'll still be a writer too if you want.'

'Yes, I would love that.'

The rest of the day she got ready for that night's performance. She got into costume for the finale rehearsal and entered the stage. As 11:30 came closer Erin practiced her lines. Finally the show began, her skit was fourth. She watched the first skit and the host give his monologue. The scene changed and Amy, Bill, Andy and Erin got last minute instructions and took their places. As the scene began the audience laughed a lot and continued to do so until it end.

'You were awesome!' Andy said to her backstage.

'Thanks, so were you!' Erin replied