Madeline's Transformation

Chapter 5

Madeline transferred to a college in England and continued to study English. She continued to go to meetings on George's behalf. There was a ball and she was invited, she didn't have a date, so she went alone. She wore a beautiful gown and many expensive jewels. At the ball, there were many important people, including the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince William and other members of the Royal Family.

Madeline was standing all alone looking out a window when someone came up beside her.

'It's a beautiful night, isn't it?'

Madeline turned to see Prince William standing next to her.

'Yes it is.' Madeline replied.

'Almost as beautiful as your dress.' He added.

'Thank you.' Madeline said.

'We haven't been formally introduced.' William said. 'I'm Will, your husband's cousin, I believe, or second cousin.'

'George never mentioned that.' Madeline said.

'I was at your wedding.' Will said.

'Really?' Madeline asked. 'I didn't see you.'

'I was in a disguise, I didn't want the press following me there.' Will said laughing. 'You looked beautiful at your wedding.'

'Thank you.' Madeline said smiling.

'I'm terribly sorry for you loss.' Will said. 'It was sad for all of us. You hadn't even been married a year.'

'I know, our anniversary would have been next month.' Madeline said, pretending to be sad.

She and Will hung out for the remainder of the party, as she didn't know anyone there. At the end of the party, he said he'd like the see her again and gave her his number. Madeline went home feeling happy for the first time in years. She realized that she had Prince William's phone number, and he wanted to see her again.

Madeline was off from college on summer break that week and had nothing to do, so she decided to call Will. She said she didn't have anything to do all week, and he asked her if she wanted to come over. Madeline acquiesced and he said he could have a car pick her up. When she asked what to wear, he said, to her surprise, riding clothes. Madeline didn't ride, so she had her secretary buy some riding clothes for her.

The next day, a bright July morning, Madeline, dressed in her new riding clothes, was greeted by Will as she got into the back of a black car.

'Are we going riding?' Madeline asked.

'We are; you can ride, right?' He asked.

'Um, about that...' Madeline replied.

'You can't ride?'

'Not really.'

'Oh, right. You're American. I forgot; you have such a nice fake English accent.'

'Thank you.'

'I suppose I'm going to have to teach you to ride.'

'If you don't mind.'

'It's not that hard.'