Madeline's Transformation

Chapter 6

At the stables, a stable boy brought them two white horses. Will showed Madeline how to mount the horse and how to get it to move. After a few tries, Madeline got on the horse, she slowly walked out of the barn and into a field. After a while, she was doing much better and she and Will rode around together.

That evening they went out to dinner and planned to hang out the rest of the week. When Madeline got home on Saturday evening after spending time with Will, her secretary asked her to come into her office.

'I'm terribly sorry, but I need to tell you something.' She said.

'What is it?' Madeline asked.

'When George died, he left you everything, including his debts. He owes millions of dollars. I did the math, and if we sold his houses in Italy and France, it would cut the debt in half. If you would like to do that, just sign here.' Her assistant, Charlotte, handed her some papers and Madeline signed them. She didn't need three houses.

'What about the other half of the debt?' Madeline asked, half in a daze.

'Well, if you get rid of most of your furniture, sell half of your jewelry and clothes, and,' Charlotte paused. 'If you sell this house the other half of the debt will be cleared.'

'Okay, I could do that. I'll just find a smaller place to live.' Madeline said. She'd never really liked this big house and it reminded her of George.

'Okay then, just sign here and the house will be on the market tomorrow.' Charlotte said, realizing she'd lose her job.

'And what about you?' Madeline said. 'And the rest of the servants and the chef and the maids and the butler?'

'We'll be okay, servants are always needed in London.'

'Well if you need a recommendation, I'd be glad to help you.' Madeline said. 'With your new employer, you know. Can I just sell the furniture with the house?'

'I'll see what I can do.' Charlotte said. 'I'll try to get this organized by the morning.'

'Thank you.' Madeline said and went to bed, though she didn't do much sleeping. Madeline didn't know what to do, who to talk to, where to go.

The next morning, there were already people going through her clothes and jewels, people looking to buy the house. Charlotte had everything organized for her, she just needed to sign some papers and talk to a lawyer. She had planned to see Will today. She got dressed and drove over to his place, so they wouldn't sell her car or the clothes she was wearing.

Madeline and Will were talking when he noticed she looked sad.

'What's wrong?' He asked.

'I'm selling George's, well, my house, and half of my stuff.' Madeline said. 'I don't think I have anywhere to live. I need a job.'

'Would you like to be my secretary?' Will said. 'It's really easy and you're overqualified, and we'd get to see each other everyday!'

'Fun.' Madeline said. 'Actually, I think I will be your secretary, if you were serious.'

'Yes, I was about to start interviewing people tomorrow for the position. You've just saved me a lot of time.' He said laughing.

It was arranged that Madeline would move in and become Will's secretary. She would go everywhere with him, do everything with him, and basically live with him.

Madeline moved in on a bright July morning and started working immediately. She would make phone calls for him, personal and business. He even had her break up with his girlfriend for him. Madeline enjoyed doing it, she didn't like her. After a few weeks, Madeline received a message for Will, saying that they were going to send him to the Middle East. Madeline was shocked, she asked him about it.

'Yes, they're going to send me over there, on an aircraft carrier. I'll be in charge of many people.' He explained.

'When will you be leaving?' Madeline asked.

'I'm not sure; they're still trying to get the press from following me there.'

'What am I going to do when you're gone?'

'I'm trying to see if you can come with me, so I can still do work and stuff for the monarchy. Mostly letters and stuff to foreign officials.'

'On the ship?'

'Yes, but right now there is only one way they will even let you near the boat.'

'What is that?'

'It's complicated, but, Madeline, would you like to join the RAF?'

'What?'

'I know it seems like a lot to ask, but it wouldn't be that hard. You would just have to do some training for several months and then, of course, learn to fly a plane and all of that stuff.'

'I, I'm- I don't even know what to say.'

'If you'd like, I could be your training officer.'

'You mean I would actually get to fly a plane?'

'Yes.'

'Okay, I'll do it! I have nothing better to do. I've always wanted to fly.'

'Really? That's awesome, we leave in four months.'

'When do I have to start?'

'Two days.'