Madeline's Transformation

Chapter 8

The night of Valentine's Day, terrorists got onto the ship and started killing people. Will and Madeline had to get up to the first level of the boat in order to take off. Will and Madeline, accompanied by five other people, carefully made their way up to the planes.

A terrorist came around a corner and started firing, but he was shot quickly. They traveled through secret passages and dark tunnels until they were right underneath the plane they were going to use to escape. One of the five people went up first and motioned for them that it was safe to come up. Will went first and helped Madeline up into the plane. He was about to get into the plane when he turned around and shot a terrorist and then climbed into the plane. They prepared for take off and, once it was clear, they flew away into the dark, ominous, February sky.

'I feel bad just flying away.' Will said. 'I feel like I'm abandoning them when they most need me.'

'William, don't be ridiculous.' Madeline said. 'They were going to kill you. Remember, you have to be King. You wouldn't want Harry to be King, would you?'

'I don't think he'd mind that.' Will said.

'William, you were an heir to the throne before you were an officer; you owe it to England to not get yourself killed.' Madeline said convincingly. 'Besides, what would I do?'

'You're right; I wouldn't want you to get hurt.' He said. 'I just don't want to seem like a coward, leaving as soon as the fighting begins.'

'You won't, it's heroic just that you risked your life for you country.'

'I suppose you're right.' He said. 'I just feel like we were there for three months, and as soon as the action begins, we leave.'

'We saw plenty of action in the five minutes we were there while under attack. You don't know how afraid I was, seeing that terrorist coming at you. I was so scared that I was going to have to kill someone, or that I'd miss and shoot you. Will, I almost started crying.' Madeline said. 'I think I might cry now, thinking about it.'

'Don't cry Madeline,' Will said.

'I'm not, it's just that-' Madeline sniffed, and then burst into tears. 'What if you'd died! We both could have died.' Madeline sobbed. 'If you had died, then stupid Harry would have had to be King, and I wouldn't have a job, and England would die, William, Harry would kill England! You know that, don't you?'

Will laughed, 'Harry wouldn't kill England, and I think he'd be a fine King. He wouldn't be King for a long time, and I'm not thinking about that now. Madeline, we are both alive, you don't need to cry.'

Madeline finished crying and then started laughing. 'Will, what would I do without you?'

'No, what would I do without you?' Will said and looked at her and smiled.

'Madeline?' Will said after a few minutes. 'I know this is not the proper way to do this, but I have to. Madeline, you are a wonderful lady, and I would love to spend the rest of my life with you. I, I love you. I am confident that you will be an awesome Queen. Madeline, will you marry me?'

Madeline was speechless. 'William, I don't know what to say. I didn't know you felt this way about me, I'm, I am so confused. I, I- yes.'

'Yes?' Will asked, almost expecting her to say no.

'Yes, I will marry you.' Madeline said, smiling.

'I'm sorry I don't have a ring for you at the moment, I didn't plan that far ahead.' Will said.

They flew into England that morning, and were greeted by reporters and photographers. They didn't stop to talk and as soon as they got home, Will's family was waiting for them.

'We were so worried about you two.' Charles said.

'Dad, I need to talk to you.' Will said and pulled him over to the side while Madeline was interrogated on every detail of the attack by Harry.

'What's wrong William, did something happen?' Charles asked concerned.

'Yes, yes something did happen.' Will said smiling. 'On the way back, in the plane, we were talking, and she was all emotional after being shot at and she cried and then she laughed, and I realized something.'

'What was it?' Charles asked.

'I love her, dad, I have never loved anyone like this.' Will explained.

'Oh, that's wonderful, being in love is always a joy.'

'I told her I loved her and then I asked her to marry me.'

'Oh,' Charles was surprised. 'I didn't expect you to say that. Are you sure? I don't want you to make the same mistake I did. Does she love you? What did she say?'

'She said yes! I was so excited. I know I need granny's approval first, but I think she will say yes.' Will and Charles both looked over to see Elizabeth hugging Madeline with tears in her eyes.

'She is an awfully nice girl,' Charles said. 'I think she'll make a wonderful Queen. She's got blond hair, you two will have beautiful children.' Charles added smiling.

'Dad,' Will said. 'Don't mention that. This is her second marriage, I wasn't sure she would do it because things didn't go well between her and George.'

'William, George was never a very nice man. You can't compare yourself to him' Charles explained. 'When do you plan on telling your grandmother?'

'I don't know, should I tell her now?'

'Why don't we both.' Charles said smiling and he turned and walked over to his mother with Will following him.

'Mum, William has something he'd like to tell you, well, ask actually.' Charles said to Elizabeth.

'Yes?' She said looking up at William.

'Um, granny, I was, um,' William paused and looked at his dad.

'He would like your approval to marry Madeline.' Charles said, noticing Will's inability to speak.

'Oh, I didn't know you two were dating.' She replied.

'We weren't exactly, but in the last few months I realized how much I needed her, and I think she would be a perfect Queen someday.'

'I agree with you, her bravery is unquestionable, and that is why I'm going to approve it.' She said smiling.

'Thank you.' Will said hugging his grandmother.

'Do you need a ring?' She asked. 'You can pick one from the Royal jewel collection. I will see to it that you engagement is announced at an appropriate time.'

'Thank you so much!' Will said and hugged her again and ran over to talk to Madeline.

'She reminds me a little of Diana, but she's more sophisticated.' The Queen said.

'Yes, I was thinking the same thing.' Charles said. 'They are perfect together, why didn't I see that from the beginning?'

'The minute I met her I knew she was going to be a wonderful Queen, something about her eyes told me she was more than just a girl from America.'

'You know how those Americans can be.' Charles said laughing.

Harry and Madeline were talking when Will told them.

'We're going to get married!' Will said.

'Really?' Harry said. 'That's wonderful! When are you getting married?'

'I don't know, soon I suppose.' Will said.

'I can't think about planning a wedding now.' Madeline said. ' August, I like August, August 17, 2012, maybe.'

'What do you mean by "maybe"?' Will asked.

'Maybe the 17th, maybe not.'

'Oh, at first I thought you meant "Maybe we'll be getting married, maybe not." You scared me.'

'No, I will not marry someone over 30, not again. It's going to have to be before your birthday. How about May?'

'May, that's nice, I like May too.' Will said.