The Life of a Fan-Fiction Writer

Sidney Crosby

Sid looked at the document Mario forwarded him. He didn’t explain it much, he just said “Read it if you want.” But what is it? Sid was curious, but was he willing to click on the link and read whatever it was Mario had sent him?

Yes. Yes he was. He was tired after practice, but not sleepy enough to go to bed, so he clicked the link that would change his perspective forever. “Life changing” is probably a little too much to describe what happened after he opened the document that was probably never meant for his eyes, or any eyes in the NHL, but it was certainly an….experience. The star center could think of no other way to describe what he was reading other than a new experience, another page in his complex, and more public than he would prefer, life.

The story was, however, more complex than the average day in the life of Sidney Crosby. No amount of assists or goals or game winning plays could get him out of this one. While Crosby was not exactly “in” a situation, he felt like it was his fault that someone had put him in their story, had set apart time in their life to write the words that he was now reading.

And who was this “Lila Smith,” or so she called herself. She was a grad student, getting her master’s degree, or so she said. Probably a 14 year old girl who had too much time on her hands, whose hormones were running rampant and left their marks all over this so called “story” most people would dismiss as fanfiction. Who is she to put Sidney in such a situation that he, the real Sidney Crosby #87, would never in his life find himself?

As he read further in ‘The Diary of an Unintentional Puck Slut’ Sid found himself cursing that he was staying up so late to read this trash and damage his brain further with these lies. Yet he had to find out what happened. He needed to know if fictional Sidney Crosby would make the right decisions that the real Sid would make. He thought about what he would do differently and how catastrophe could have been avoided if he’d worn a goddamn condom, like he always did. Or if he’d been more cautious, and taken the time to know Emme before letting her into his home, and his heart. And why would he let a stranger live with him, no matter how lonely he was, or how attractive she was?

Sid read on, and eventually found himself laughing as the story progressed. ‘How could that actually happen?’ He asked himself with a chuckle as he read on. ‘I think the rest of the team needs to see this.’ He made a list of all the teammates mentioned: Geno, Nealer, Beau, and a few non-teammates (Eric Staal, Jonathan Toews, Brandon Sutter). He considered forwarding this email to them. This was funny, but also a little sad, right?

Before he could second guess his decision, he’d hit ‘send’ and the link to a scandalous, yet interesting, bit of fanfiction was forwarded to several of his teammates, and anyone else mentioned in the plot of this bit of literature written in the heat of teenage hormones and wanton lust. It could be nothing else, right?

Just a bit of entertainment.
♠ ♠ ♠
The stories mentioned can be found here:
https://www.wattpad.com/story/36599781-film-strips-and-hockey-sticks

http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/546409/The-Diary-of-an-Unintentional-Puck-Slut/