The Life of a Fan-Fiction Writer

Olli Maatta

Olli checked his email as he ate breakfast and sipped on his black coffee. Never did he suspect to get an email from his captain, Sidney Crosby, and certainly never did he suspect to find a link to a hockey fanfiction website within that email. Olli looked up to Sid, and thought the world of him. He considered himself lucky to just appear on the same ice as him, let alone the same team. He loved the game as much as the next NHL player, but Sidney Crosby was more than just ‘Sid the Kid’ to Olli, he was an amazing player, a teammate, and an amazing captain.

So when an email from him arrived, he didn’t second guess what the link led him to. Surely there must be something important on this silly website, but what was it? This author, Lila Smith, she called herself, had written several stories about the Penguins. So Olli took a curious look.

Which kept him occupied the rest of the morning.

He stopped reading ‘Film Strips and Hockey Sticks’ after chapter four. He closed his laptop and left for the gym to clear his head. He told himself it was only the lonely musings of a fan, and nothing else.

But it kept bouncing around his head as he tried to figure out what he’d just read. Someone wrote fanfiction about him. Someone, a sentient human being, wrote fanfiction about him, Olli Maatta, that included an older female. Was his secret out? No, surely that was just a fan trying to imagine what he was like, and made up the details in order to fit her fantasy.

But how had she gotten it so accurate?

Olli pulled his phone out of his gym bag and opened the link from Crosby’s email again, reading the juicy details well into the afternoon. ‘I have practice tonight,’ he reminded himself, ‘I have to stop reading this.’ But every time he put it down he found his mind wondering what happened next. Did he and the older girl end up together?

He hoped so. He had too many thoughts about that girl, Hannah. She seemed...interesting, and sexually desirable.