Untitled

1

The wind whipped her face, disheveling her hair and causing her eyes to sting from the onslaught of sand. Everyone argues that the beach is calming, but she didn't understand it. The sand microscopically cut her face as she walked along the water. She sighed and looked at the sun that was eager to set. She wished that one day she would be as eager to see the end of a day. She hoped that, eventually, she would be able to tuck herself into bed and sleep easily. She kicked the sand beneath her feet and tried to calculate how long it would take her to get back to her home. She began to head in that direction, knowing she would lose natural light eventually. She had promised her mother she would call by 8, but considering how fast the sun was disappearing on the shoreline she doubted she would make it back to her home in time. Moving to the beach was a decision she was plagued by for months before she actually did it. She needed to make a clean break, and when she finally convinced herself to do so she had her bags packed and was on her way.

She had always regretting making that split decision. She knew that was wrong of her to leave her home in the middle of the night. Her mother had been worried that she was suicidal. She was talking about new life, but in a poetic sense that she would be creating a new version of herself upon moving. In fact, she wanted to become a new person but quickly fell into her typical actions and her daily routine from back home. Only now, she ended her days with walks along the beach. What a change worthy of uprooting her entire life. She laughed to herself as she walked the long road back to her apartment. Her stomach growled, reminding her that she had not eaten that evening. Not only did she feel that her stomach was empty but her soul was empty. She lacked any kind of human interaction with anyone other than her landlord and her daily conversations with her mother. She lacked intellectual stimulation, and she lacked encouragement to pursue more.

She kicked rocks beneath her feet and followed the road, remembering to turn right onto Washington, left onto Jefferson, then bearing left towards Houston. These were the roads that would take her home. She shuffled her feet. She was in no hurry. She knew the conversation with her mother would be longer than what she was willing to bear, and she had a feeling she would return to millions of text messages from her. She sighed as she begrudgingly picked her feet up, one right after the other, heading to her upstairs apartment.

Her landlord was pretty alright, he let her come and go as she pleased even though her apartment was an addition of his home. He was an older gentleman, who came to the area on terms similar to hers. It was comforting to know someone else needed to make that change. She hoped that one day he would share his story of how he had arrived there and started his new life, but she knew she shouldn't push. All she knew was that he was a supportive man, and he let her have her space which was all she ever needed.

See, if she had the option, she would remain on her own. And she thought he would be the same way. She shut her door behind her, locking it for good measure. She set her keys on the counter in her kitchen and picked her phone off the charger. 57 text messages. Great. She texted her mother back.

long night. talk to you tomorrow. i love you.

She climbed the ladder into the alcove of her apartment where her bed is, got under her covers and sighed. The smell of salt water was still fresh on her skin and the texture of sand followed her into bed but at that point she didn't care. She tossed the blanket over her and found her way to sleep. Finally.