Untitled

2

He was drinking cold coffee and reading the newspaper, and heard a rapping on the door. No one ever came to visit him, so he was very questionable of who could be trying to find him. He pushed himself from his chair, as the rapping grew faster. He tried speeding up slightly, but his body could not take the speed. He held onto the wall and found himself to the door. He opened it, as the rapping continued. Before him stood a young girl, drenched from rain, holding a backpack.

Her face said it all. She was a mess. She hadn't slept in days, and had seen the "For Rent" sign knocked over in his front yard. He hadn't gotten the energy to go out and fix it, and hadn't gotten any interest in it anyways. He attributed it to the increasing popularity of the internet. The young girl in front of him pleaded for use of the apartment. She would pay any amount as soon as she could secure a job. He did nothing but wave her up the steps and hand her a key before shutting the door.

He shuffled to his room, laying in his queen sized bed. He still left space on her side of the bed. He awaited the day they would share their bed again.

She was moving things around, unpacking her bag. Her singular bag. She had left home four hours ago with little to her name. She knew this would be difficult, but she needed the reprieve. She was feeling claustrophobic at home. She needed to become a new person and not have her past define her. Living in a small town, your family defines you and she was not willing to have that be her legacy. An abusive, drug-addicted father and a doting mother who wanted the best for her children. Wanted it so much that she dealt with constant abuse from her husband and his friends just to keep the children fed and under any kind of roof.

She shook her head, she needed to rid herself of those memories. She worried about her mother, and wanted her mother to get out. Her brother was too young to move out, but she wondered if maybe when he got older he could move in with her. Maybe that would encourage her mother to find a better life. She hung her clothes. Her closet looked dismal. She had no food in her kitchen. She was starving. She grabbed her wallet, her new key, and her phone. She didn't know where she was going, but needed to find out fast. She stumbled across restaurants by the beach. She got herself a cheap dinner and went for a walk on the beach. She saw the sun beginning to set on the horizon. It was a beautiful sight she hoped to never forget. The smell of rain still floated among her senses, along with the salt in the salt water. The sky was painted with hues of oranges and reds. She looked at her phone. It was Thursday.