FML

You’re Damn Right I’m a Princess

"Mommy, will you hand me my scarf?" I sweetly smiled as Alexandria and I were getting ready to go. It was Thanksgiving Day, and that meant it was time for the two of us to stand outside in the chilly air to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It had been a tradition between us for fourteen years now.

I met Alexandria on the first day of kindergarten, and we were instantly best friends. That year our mothers took us to the parade together, and we've made sure to go together ever since. It was a fun tradition to have, and I never wanted it to die. This was our little way of keeping our childhood alive regardless of the bullshit known as life.

As I wrapped my scarf around my neck, my mother scampered off to the kitchen for only a second before returning with two thermoses. "I know how you two like to start your Thanksgiving Day with warm apple cider while seeing the parade. Have fun you two, and be safe."

"Thank you, Cordelia," Alexandria smiled before taking a sip of the warm liquid.

"Thanks, mommy," I smiled before kissing her cheek. Just like that, Alexandria and I were out the door.

The disadvantage of the Upper East Side on Thanksgiving day is that the parade happens on the west side. However, the walk through Central Park is always nice. It would be fantastic if I could watch the parade from the comfort of my living room, of course, but I guess even a Whitney can't always have everything she wants.

As we ventured through the park I couldn't help but smile as we passed mothers pushing strollers and children flying kites. There was something so pure about babies and children that I always wished I could go back to. Sure, growing up was fun, but once I reached the age of twelve I realized it kind of sucked. Everything just became more dramatic after twelve, things were so much easier as a kid. Thank God I had Alexandria throughout the drama.

"Did I tell you about that club opening I went to with Em?"

Alexandria then looked at me with a quirked eyebrow.

"So Em and I went to that club opening in Baltimore, right? Well, I guess I met some 'hotshot' rock star right before I blacked out."

"What a shock, Harper Whitney got blackout drunk," she smiled at me.

I feigned hurt, "I don't usually blackout. So rude. Anyway... Well, apparently this hotshot took me to his apartment in a cab and was a decent enough guy while I was blacked out. Come that morning, he, thankfully, was nowhere to be found. There was just this note next to the bed. Whatever. So I call Em just asking her where she was and everything. Then he comes back acting like I'm supposed to know who he was. He didn't know me, like, who doesn't know the Whitney's? It was just ridiculous the way he treated me in the morning."

"I thought you swore off band dudes?"

"It's not like I slept with him," I shrugged before taking a sip of the still warm cider. "Plus, I'll thankfully never see him again given the fact he's from Baltimore."

"I guess that's good," she laughed at my stupidity. "One day you'll learn Harper."

"Will I though?" I cocked an eyebrow at her. Everyone knew I was never going to really grow up. It was pretty obvious to everyone that I was going to be a partier until I ended up with a baby.

With a full-on laugh, she gave me a, "No."

We then continued our walk through Central Park until we made it to our destination: the corner of 59th St. and 8th Ave. Every year we stood here, and every year we had a great time. Of course, every year we ended up getting here nearly two hours early to shiver and wait. It was always worth it to have the best view of this legendary parade.

Just then there was a voice directly behind us, "Excuse me."

"Oh, of course, no pro-" I cut myself off once I looked and saw a semi-familiar man with the white stripe in his hair. "You've got to be fucking kidding me."

"Hey!" A mother beside us scolded as she covered her child's ears.

"I'm so sorry ma'am."

"Why are you here? I thought you said you lived on the Upper East Side?" The man asked.

"I do," I stated with an eye roll. "The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is kind of tradition though, and last time I checked, the Upper East Side and Lower West Side were still in the same city. I belong here. You, not so much."

It was his turn to roll his eyes. "Baltimore isn't that far away, Princess."

"You're damn right that I'm a princess," I finished by turning my back to him. Turning to Alexandria then, "I can't believe some people."

"Bitch," I heard him sulk as he walked away.

Did I at all care what he thought of me? Absolutely not. Why would I? It's not like he's from some prestigious family. It all boils down to the fact that I am a Whitney, and he is some nobody from Baltimore. Like, who even cares about Baltimore?

"I feel like you're the most hated Whitney," Alexandria replied with a laugh. I just smirked because she's probably right. Guys hate me for shitting all over their little hearts, girls hate me for sleeping with their boyfriends. Being Harper Whitney is great.

~Later~

"Daddy!" I squealed in delight the second I saw my father in the living room. He had been away for the past couple of weeks on business, and he wasn't expected to be back home for another couple of days.

I was a daddy's girl, I always had been. He was my first best friend. Plus, being a daddy's girl meant I got spoiled rotten.

"Hi Princess," he smiled at me before hugging me. He then turned away to walk out of the room, only to emerge with a small box wrapped in white gift wrap and a black bow. "I couldn't leave my princess for a few weeks without getting her a gift."

I smiled as I took the package from him. Carefully, I undid the black bow before opening the wrapping paper. Inside, was a small, but classic orange, Hermes box. Immediately I gasped seeing that it was Hermes. For months now, I had been eyeing up the Kelly bracelet that held 515 diamonds. I was desperately hoping it was what I was about to find in the small box.

As I pulled the top off, my jaw hit the floor. "Shut up," I half screamed as I saw the elusive bracelet in front of my eyes. "Is this real?"

"Of course, Princess. Only the best for my little girl," he smiled even wider before giving me another hug.

I was speechless. In front of my eyes was the $18,000 bracelet that I had been wanting for months. If it had been easier to find I would have bought it myself, but anytime I was near an Hermes Boutique they never had it. My eyes could not be pulled away from the beautiful bracelet in front of me.

“Oh my gosh! Thank you, daddy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I squealed with excitement as I put the beautiful diamond bracelet on. After getting the bracelet on I quickly wrapped my arms around my father’s neck for a tight hug.

My father hugged me back before sharing, “I’ve missed you, Harper. I hope that you’ve been behaving while I’ve been away.”

I sheepishly looked away. While I may not have caused any major headlines lately, I definitely wouldn’t say that I’ve been behaving.

After seeing my reaction, he continued, “Harper… I mean it when I say that you need to be on your absolute best behavior. Our family is walking on a very thin line due to some of your recent activities. I would like for us to stay in the good graces of the Vanderbilt’s and Whitney’s.”

“Yes, daddy.” I spoke quietly with my head low. I wanted to behave, I truly did. It was just so boring trying to be the good girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
It’s been awhile