Seems Like We Lost It All

Five

Brian’s phone went off again, buzzing against the bedside table it was on. He glanced at the screen before a sigh left his lips. “It’s your brother again. You need to answer.”

Madison simply shook her head and continued applying her makeup. She had changed into a pair of skinny jeans and a Metallica tee she’d altered so it hung off one shoulder. On a normal day Brian would be thinking about how hot she looked, but today he was too worried about her for that.

Brian did as she asked earlier that day and just drove. He’d driven for three hours before she spotted a sign advertising a show in Vegas and had insisted they go there. Matt had already called Brian’s phone a couple hundred times and Madison’s even more. She’d finally given up and turned hers off but Brian kept his on hoping he could convince her to answer one of the calls.

A new text caused the screen to light up again. Brian snatched the phone up to read it. Where the fuck are you? Do you know where Madison is? From Matt of course.

Brian ran his fingers through his hair while groaning in frustration. He quickly typed out a response She’s with me, she’s fine. Something happened and she needed to get away for a few hours

Another text came through within seconds, but instead of reading it Brian turned his phone off. Matt knew she was safe now and that’s all that mattered. His gaze drifted over to Madison once again, he watched her reflection as she finished up her makeup. She looked fine on the outside but even from his place across the room he could see the sadness in her eyes. For the first half of the car ride she’d cried silently while she stared out the window. Then she suddenly dried her face off and started singing along with the radio, it was like a switch had flipped. He could only guess she was trying to pretend she hadn’t found that phone.

“Okay I’m finished, let’s go!” She said as she dropped the tube of mascara down onto the table. She spun around and her grin faltered when she saw Brian still lying across the bed. “Get up now or I’m leaving you.”

“Madison what are we doing here?”

“We’re going dancing! Now get your ass up and let’s go!”

Giving in, Brian slowly got up off the bed and pocketed the hotel room’s key. As they made their way through the hotel and to the ground floor she spoke excitedly about the club she’d spotted on their way in. She didn’t seem like someone who had just gone through some of the worst heartbreak imaginable. He wondered how long she could keep up that facade before she crumbled.

Thirty minutes later they were stepping into the dimly lit club. The place was packed, people on the dance floor were practically rubbing elbows as they danced. Madison bounced right through the crowd and up to the bar where she ordered two shots of vodka. She passed one to Brian then clinked her glass against his. “To forgetting about how shitty real life is, at least for one night,” she said before quickly downing the shot. She slammed the glass down onto the bar and grabbed Brian’s arm, trying to drag him towards the dance floor.

“No way, I don’t dance,” he protested.

“Liar, I’ve seen you dance before. Not well, I’ll admit, but still.”

“Your persuasion skills need some work.”

“Please, I really need this.”

There was no way he could say no to those puppy dog eyes. “Fine, but I'm going to need a few more shots first."

They ordered three more shots each. After quickly throwing them back, Brian allowed himself to be pulled forward and they melted into the crowd of flailing bodies. It took him a few moments to find his rhythm and a few more for him to actually begin to let his guard down and start to enjoy himself. They made it through one song and suddenly Brian found it hard to tear his eyes away from her hips, he was practically entranced by the way she moved. She got up the nerve to move closer to him and his hands landed on the hips he’d been mesmerized by moments before.

Her body brushed his as she danced and it took all he had in him to not pull her closer. He couldn’t go there, not now, not ever. She was one of his best friend’s sister going there would be a deathwish. Aside from that he knew she was just trying to let loose for a while. If it wasn’t him she’d be doing the same thing with another guy. There was also the matter of her grieving, it would be a dick move to even think about trying something. It was probably just the alcohol getting to him anyway.

With his thoughts finally calmed he tuned back into the moment just in time to hear an excited shriek of “Synyster Gates!”

He spotted the curly haired brunette headed straight for him. “Shit, let’s get out of here.”

He took hold of Madison’s hand and headed for the exit. Now wasn’t a good time for fans. Fans would want pictures and if pictures were posted online Matt could find out where they were. He’d try to drag Madison back to Huntington Beach. Which was something she didn’t need right now.

The brunette was still trying to catch up them and the crowd was too thick to make it through the front door. Brian quickly changed direction and lead Madison into an area marked staff only. They got a few questioning looks but no one said anything as they rushed through. They found a back exit and hurried out into the cool night air.

“Well that was exciting,” Madison beamed.

Brian shook his head before heading down the alley. “Where to now?” he asked.

“Well I did see this other club…”

Knowing arguing would get him nowhere, Brian lifted his arm to try to catch them a cab. If staying out all night and making a complete ass of himself trying to dance was what she needed, he was more than willing to oblige.