Delirium

Around the Riverbend

“Brandy? Brandy, are you here?” Aliya stood at the edge of the bridge that connected the two river banks. She watched the few small fish hurriedly swim through the water and wondered what it would feel like to jump in with them. Considering her track record with water, she doubted she could keep up anyway. Aliya pressed her toes into the cold concrete of the ledge and felt the wind breezing through her hair. “Brandy, babe, where are you?”
Her voice echoed off the rocks that lived below the bridge. She felt a comfortable warmness wash over her body. Aliya knew what she had to do. She took a step closer, her toes hanging over the edge. It wasn’t scary or frightening. In fact, Aliya felt a moment of serene bliss. Just has she prepared herself to jump, Aliya saw a figure out of the corner of her eye. Standing in the center of the river near the bend a few hundred yards away, she saw a girl in a brilliant yellow sundress. Brandy! Aliya contemplated taking the leap, but instead crawled off the ledge and back down onto the road. She slipped her worn sandals back onto her feet and darted down the narrow footpath that had led her to the bridge. She paid no attention to the thorny brush that sliced at her feet and legs, nor did she notice the large copperhead that slithered away from her loud footsteps. Aliya was familiar with these woods and knew what trails would lead her to the river’s edge. In a few moments, she was face to face with the same bend that Brandy had just been standing near. The river was empty, except for the fish.