Status: Work in Progress

Obsessed

Breathe

Take a deep breath.

I kept repeating that to myself in my head over and over... and over.

You can do this Caiti. It's not gonna be nothing but a night out with a friend of a friend and a drink or two.

And yet I still stood there. Staring at my reflection in the hotel mirror, frozen. A strappy white skater dress, my wavy red hair straightened over my shoulders and my favorite pair of tan cutout heels on. I looked great, but I could see the fear in the eyes of the woman looking back at me.

I took a deep breath. Closed my eyes and walked out the door.

It's just another Friday night Caiti, you can do this.

I spent the majority of the night going through the motions. He'd make a joke and I'd laugh or smile, sometimes I'd offer back a response or joke of my own. We'd talk as he drove us around, the familiar sights of Los Angeles unfolding in front of us as we roamed the streets.

It was fine, Heath was nice, but when the night was over I stepped into the elevator and tears just started flowing. It wasn't heavy, I wasn't sobbing, but it was intrusive. It made me feel weak.

Stupid little Caiti can't get over a damn break up from over a month ago.

A hand poked through before the doors could close completely and my gaze shot down to the ground. I touched my fingers to my eyes to wipe away the tears and took one good sniffle and let out the breath, hopeful that I'd be able to keep it together until I could break down in privacy at how stupid this whole thing was.

How stupid I was being.

The ride up was silent aside from the guys fingers tapping against the screen of his phone and my thoughts racing around in my head.

I wiped another tear away with my pinky and sighed before he shifted his weight and spoke.

"Ya know, I really feel sorry for who ever's gonna miss out on taking you out again."

Of course the door opened to his floor after that it was too cliché of a moment for it to happen any other way than that. He looked back at me, a sad smile on his kinda face before offering a small wave as he stepped out.

I didn't move.

I was just frozen again, lost in my scrambled mind trying to piece myself together.

And then my fingers reached out for the button and he looked back mid step with the hint of confusion on his face.

"Do you... Would you like to grab a drink with me?"

It felt more like I'd only said it loud enough to hear, but he let out a chuckle and walked back in.

"Tyler."

I paused and thought before opening my mouth. "Casey."

He nodded. "What are we drinking to tonight Casey?"

I snorted and ran my fingers through my hair. As if I even knew. "I'll let you know when I find out."

It was a short walk to the bar down the street and during the journey I'd stepped out of my shoes for my favorite pair of Toms. The string lights outside the place sparkled and mellowed me out a touch while the whispy warm breeze that brushed my skin left me wanting to extend my visit just a little bit longer.

My order was quick when we reached the bar. I laid my ID on the table and asked for a shot of tequila. I took my hand another quick run through my hair as I took my seat and Tyler took his beside me, ordering himself a beer.

"You're going straight for the hard stuff?"

I nodded. "I sure am."

"That rough tonight?"

Our drinks were placed in front of us and Tyler put it on his tab before I could say anything. I nodded again.

"It's a long story."

"I've got no other plans tonight."

I scoffed. "You could probably guess what it is and be right. You already got part of it in the elevator."

He sipped his beer and turned the glass, rubbing his hands together to wipe away the moisture on his finger tips. "Ok so it has something to do with a guy then... bad date?"

"I mean... no. The guy was nice."

"Then why were you upset."

"I had a bad breakup a little while ago, that story's much longer and complicated and really not worth explaining right now. My friend wanted me to get back out there and hooked me up with a friend."

"So you didn't feel like you were ready?"

"I thought I was. I mean, it's...dumb and I just want to be over it you know?"

He nodded, turning in his stool so his back was against the bar and his cup was extended in my direction. "Let's drink to that."

I nodded and clinked my glass with his before throwing back the shot and wiping my lips with the back of my hand. I looked to Tyler and gave him a small smile that he returned with a nod and smile of his own before he looked to the crowd of people dancing together.

We stayed like that for god knows how long, watching around at the moving bodies in silence. I'd ordered something lighter to sip on and allowed myself to grow comfortable with the stranger at my side.

"I feel like it's worth mentioning that you look beautiful tonight."

I smirked and bumped my arm against his. "Thank you... really, thanks."

From there I played along, letting the conversation flow easily between the two of us, taking his hand when he offered me a dance. I got to my feet and reached out a hand that he took without a second thought, placing his glass on the counter leading me out to the floor.

It's only a drink or two Caiti.
♠ ♠ ♠
This might not get updated right away, ideas have been coming to me and I've been wanting to write a Tyler fic for a while now lol.